Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   BAJA or BUST 2017 Trips (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26922)

Mahigeer 09-29-2015 07:39 AM

Name list of currently going to Baja:
Mr. Pukashell ===Robert/ Simi Valley
Svendawg =====Sven
Buddha ======Jeff/ Chula Vista
Defjack ======Jack/ Santa Monica
Mahigeer =====Hashem/ LAX
Monstahfish====Shane
Gr8fuldude====Paul/ Tehachapi
GunRunner ====Travis/ Imperial Beach
Makobob======Bob/ Vista, SD

buddha 09-30-2015 07:51 AM

Ok Discover Baja has the FMMs in stock and they are sending mine today. Just need to get it stamped at the border.

makobob 09-30-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 243560)
Ok Discover Baja has the FMMs in stock and they are sending mine today. Just need to get it stamped at the border.

So Buddha is good to go, Sven is good to go, I am good to go, how about the rest of you guy's? Getting there is only part of the fun. Remember to bring a light spinning outfit or fly rod for some real fishing fun. Some wire and some smaller metal. Some of these fish are targeting 2" bait schools. Last year I took a nice rooster almost 20 lbs on a small 1" kastmaster. The same jig caught lot's of 30+" sierras too. Tight lines.

MrPukaShell 09-30-2015 03:18 PM

Bob,

What size on the wire leader?

makobob 09-30-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPukaShell (Post 243608)
Bob,

What size on the wire leader?

Memory is not the first thing to go with age, but I seem to remember 18-27# brown twisted wire, Berkley i think. 6" to 9" shortys. I usually fish 20# test line and like to keep from ever powering things. I never had the wire itself break. I fished 1/2 oz to 4 oz jigs with them. Hope this helps.

Mahigeer 09-30-2015 05:18 PM

"Not to beat the dead horse" as the saying goes;

However, what is the advantage of having a FMM if one still has to STOP to have it stamped?
If you have to stop, is filling and paying for it too time consuming?

On a better note, I feel really accomplished. Yesterday after many years of the kayak sitting and waiting for me to "accessories" it, I installed many items on it. Not done yet, but it will be “a bichin ride” when I am rolling in Baja.

buddha 10-01-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 243620)
"Not to beat the dead horse" as the saying goes;

However, what is the advantage of having a FMM if one still has to STOP to have it stamped?
If you have to stop, is filling and paying for it too time consuming?

On a better note, I feel really accomplished. Yesterday after many years of the kayak sitting and waiting for me to "accessories" it, I installed many items on it. Not done yet, but it will be “a bichin ride” when I am rolling in Baja.

Well I am sure that you stopping and paying for your fmm will seem like no time since you have spent at least 3000 hours preparing for this trip!!!

Mahigeer 10-01-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 243675)
Well I am sure that you stopping and paying for your fmm will seem like no time since you have spent at least 3000 hours preparing for this trip!!!

That is funny and not too far off.

3000 and counting.

When I take a task on, I do it with %100 effort.

makobob 10-03-2015 03:54 PM

Being well prepared never hurts. Just back again. I cannot STRESS too much over this. Lot's of bait, schools all over and most are made up of 1-2 inch anchovetas, Baby anchovies and very small sardines. That's the bad of it. The good is there were MANY SCHOOLS of Sierras.
Bring small crocks, cast masters and spoons. DO NOT FORGET wire leaders. I caught, triggers, bass, cabrilla, sculpin, corvina and sierras, all from the beach in less that 2 hours. Saw roosters, a sea snake, and turtles too.
Svendawg and EOD will be there this coming weekend, they will be staying until after we get there on the 17th. Of course they will fish hard the week before we arrive so they will have a GREAT update for us when we get there. Tight lines all. BTW the temps are coming down at night, bring a hoodie or light jacket just in case. It was 72 at 6am this morning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 243688)
That is funny and not too far off.

3000 and counting.

When I take a task on, I do it with %100 effort.

Mahigeer 10-03-2015 10:35 PM

Thanks for the update Bob.

I am just curious; since you go there so often and have a place, do you carry everything you need back and forth?
Items like your kayak, fishing equipment, sleeping items, etc.

I know you must transport cooler for food and ice, Clothing and personal items.
Besides those, what else goes back and forth with you?

Do you have a safe place to store your belongings?

Dannowar 10-03-2015 11:13 PM

I'm so freekin amped!!!!

buddha 10-04-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 243841)
I'm so freekin amped!!!!

I didn't see your name on the list? If you are coming then Travis would be interested in diving with you I am sure.

makobob 10-04-2015 07:10 AM

Usually I carry my kayak, one fishing box and fresh clothes. Always cooler, food, water and ice. The house locks and I have a neighbor who lives next door full time who watches the place. Going down there for over 20 years, nothing has been stolen. I feel safer down there than up here. For this trip my kayak is down there and I won't bring it back until later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 243840)
Thanks for the update Bob.

I am just curious; since you go there so often and have a place, do you carry everything you need back and forth?
Items like your kayak, fishing equipment, sleeping items, etc.

I know you must transport cooler for food and ice, Clothing and personal items.
Besides those, what else goes back and forth with you?

Do you have a safe place to store your belongings?

Dannowar 10-04-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 243849)
I didn't see your name on the list? If you are coming then Travis would be interested in diving with you I am sure.

I'm headed down 11-14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makobob 10-04-2015 01:09 PM

Sven and Eod will be at my place from the 9th until all the fish are gone. Danny, ask Juan Pablo about his panga. It is right there, he usually parks it behind the houses. From my place go down the beach away from the point about 100 yds it is parked behind beach houses. He gets $200 a day. You should be able to stay at my place or at palapa in front of restaurant. Have a great trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 243871)
I'm headed down 11-14

Dannowar 10-04-2015 01:13 PM

I appreciate the hospitality as always Bob. Please let me know if I can bring/donate anything to the house.

makobob 10-04-2015 05:27 PM

Danny, I have two 12' x 12' pop ups. Could use 2-4 empty 5 gallon buckets, a couple 12x20 or 16x20 tarps. For temporary shade. Also will be building the bathroom in November so looking for about 40 2x4 studs 92 1/2" long and 7 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood. I will buy new toilet, sink and shower, as it would be nice to have a female or two come on these trips. And some have asked about bringing wife/GF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 243873)
I appreciate the hospitality as always Bob. Please let me know if I can bring/donate anything to the house.

Dannowar 10-04-2015 05:29 PM

Say no more. I'll bring down as much as I can fit in my truck!

makobob 10-04-2015 06:24 PM

AWESOME and thank you Danny. By this time next year there should be two options besides the palapas. My new place will be done, and free to use for BWE members AND possibly a new and separate house will be available to RENT by the week or weekend......... That house would be closer to the restaurant about 150 feet from my place, and about 150 feet from the restaurant centered between us. It will be a NEW block house built on the beach, just behind where the palapas are now. It would be closer to the beach then where we are now by about 100 feet, closer is better.

Mahigeer 10-05-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 243888)
Also will be building the bathroom in November.

What is being used until the completion of the above??

buddha 10-05-2015 01:45 PM

Ok Monstahfish and I are getting my fmm stamped and he will get his fmm at san ysidro this friday so won't have to stop at mexicali

makobob 10-05-2015 03:14 PM

My next door neighbor has allowed the use of his place and two bathrooms for the past 20 years. Time to get my own. Of course if you are a hard core camper there is the outback behind camp or for you Hobie guys I hear you just remove your drives. Sorry Dark Side humor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 243949)

svendawg 10-05-2015 06:13 PM

Your list

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 243949)

Add shovel to your list

makobob 10-05-2015 06:47 PM

I bet a Boy Scout could figure this out. Do not forget your TP for the trip down.

Mahigeer 10-05-2015 06:55 PM

I do have one of these,
http://www.basspro.com/Dometic-Porta...3080707464215/

But I had already packed one of these:
http://www.basspro.com/Luggable-Loo-...product/45412/

With nine people there, I knew there may be a line at times!

Good tip for the TP for the road. On the Pacific side, there were very nice gas stations. One even had shower!

makobob 10-05-2015 07:09 PM

YES but most of the time TP is not available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 243970)
I do have one of these,
http://www.basspro.com/Dometic-Porta...3080707464215/

But I had already packed one of these:
http://www.basspro.com/Luggable-Loo-...product/45412/

With nine people there, I knew there may be a line at times!

Good tip for the TP for the road. On the Pacific side, there were very nice gas stations. One even had shower!

MrPukaShell 10-06-2015 03:42 PM

Just got back from a few days camping at Carpinteria State Beach for the Avocado Festival. When I got back I received my Insurance paperwork & FMM forms (yeah). My plan is to drive to San Diego on Friday the 16th to get the FMM stamped and exchange some dollars for pesos. Then load up my travel partners gear to be ready for 5:00 am on the 17th.

So ready for this.....

makobob 10-06-2015 03:53 PM

Sounds like you guy's have your stuff together. See you soon.
DID I mention BLOCK ICE
it lasts twice as long as regular ice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPukaShell (Post 244038)
Just got back from a few days camping at Carpinteria State Beach for the Avocado Festival. When I got back I received my Insurance paperwork & FMM forms (yeah). My plan is to drive to San Diego on Friday the 16th to get the FMM stamped and exchange some dollars for pesos. Then load up my travel partners gear to be ready for 5:00 am on the 17th.

So ready for this.....

buddha 10-06-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPukaShell (Post 244038)

So ready for this.....

Monstahfish and I are planning on going to the border to take care of our FMMs on Friday also. Maybe we can all go there together. Let me know.

MrPukaShell 10-06-2015 05:06 PM

I am not sure at this point when I will leave my house. Friday's are such a crap shoot on the freeways. I could leave early in the am and try to beat the traffic or leave around 9:00 am and hope for smooth sailing. But to answer your question as far as meeting up, yes that would be fine with me. I was planning on walking across, get FMM stamped and walk right back. What time were you thinking about getting this done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 244041)
Monstahfish and I are planning on going to the border to take care of our FMMs on Friday also. Maybe we can all go there together. Let me know.

buddha 10-06-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPukaShell (Post 244042)
I am not sure at this point when I will leave my house. Friday's are such a crap shoot on the freeways. I could leave early in the am and try to beat the traffic or leave around 9:00 am and hope for smooth sailing. But to answer your question as far as meeting up, yes that would be fine with me. I was planning on walking across, get FMM stamped and walk right back. What time were you thinking about getting this done?

Monstahfish and I are going to fish in Chula Vista until about 11AM or so and then go to the border. The average border time wait is not that long on Fridays at 1 PM probably about 45 minutes. Maybe if you are down here we can meet and drive down there together.

monstahfish 10-07-2015 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 244043)
Monstahfish and I are going to fish in Chula Vista until about 11AM or so and then go to the border. The average border time wait is not that long on Fridays at 1 PM probably about 45 minutes. Maybe if you are down here we can meet and drive down there together.

Puka, we're doing it this friday not next friday.

MrPukaShell 10-07-2015 06:11 AM

Got it Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstahfish (Post 244063)
Puka, we're doing it this friday not next friday.

makobob 10-07-2015 06:40 PM

Hot off of the presses.

Mike Scales
Will be joining us for this trip. Mike is a great fisherman and has done well on past trips to Gonzaga. Mike will take us to the restaurant for his cook night. We are now 9 Days and counting. Stay safe guys!!! BTW SDROB and I will be making a material run down Friday and Saturday, Svendawg and Eod will be coming down to prefish starting Saturday. Hope you guys are getting some sleep NOW, you might not later.

Mahigeer 10-07-2015 07:22 PM

I hope the regulars that are going early, leave some fish for the rest of us.

I am seeing the "light at end of the tunnel" when it comes to preparation for the trip.

Even got some Pesos the other day.

Mahigeer 10-07-2015 07:29 PM

Name list of currently going to Baja:

Mr. Pukashell ===Robert/ Simi Valley
Svendawg =====Sven
Buddha =======Jeff/ Chula Vista
Defjack =======Jack/ Santa Monica
Mahigeer ======Hashem/ LAX
Monstahfish=====Shane
Gr8fuldude=====Paul/ Tehachapi
GunRunner =====Travis/ Imperial Beach
Makobob=======Bob/ Vista, SD
Mike Scales

makobob 10-07-2015 07:47 PM

Hashem, there will be plenty of fish for us. There are miles of rubble that NEVER get fished. Almost no one fishes the island. Trucks can be loaded and it is possible to fish, anywhere from Puertocitos to Gonzaga, or Punta Final. That is 45 miles to choose from. Catch all the fish,
I THINK NOT!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 244126)
I hope the regulars that are going early, leave some fish for the rest of us.

I am seeing the "light at end of the tunnel" when it comes to preparation for the trip.

Even got some Pesos the other day.

Deamon 10-08-2015 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you all planning a trip to the freaking Galapagos Islands? Paved road, plenty of gas stations...beautiful location with lots of chrome eating fish in Mexico. Cook on your night. Bring ice. Enough said.

If DefJack cracks a smile at you...it doesn't necessarily mean anything...

Clean up after yourselves...including the bathroom if you made the mess...only you will know...:eek:

Don't make the cook clean up their dirty pots and pans after prepping and cooking...

Lazy slugs who think others will do your dirty work suck

Bring something to the table and help make this trip an epic one. Bob and Rob are incredibly generous. Pay it forward. I remember one trip someone brought some...

Mahigeer 10-08-2015 09:13 AM

All good points and advise.

I was kidding of course Bob about them catching all of the fish.

I am sure you figured that.

The Friday night cannot get here any sooner.

makobob 10-08-2015 02:58 PM

Hashem, I know how you feel, tomorrow is Friday and Rob and I will be getting there before dark, and just in time for dinner. That will give us Saturday to work on the place and get a little fishing in before heading back Sunday morning. So tonight is my Friday night and I might not sleep as I get SO excited, even if I go there every week. This place is MY Disneyland, and just for you I asked the big guy to stock fresh fish this week!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 244154)
All good points and advise.

I was kidding of course Bob about them catching all of the fish.

I am sure you figured that.

The Friday night cannot get here any sooner.