Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gaff length? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3813)

flip4i 08-20-2008 06:21 PM

Gaff length?

Hi everyone:

Just wondering what is the most effective gaff length from the yak. I'm in the market or may build one.

tylerdurden 08-20-2008 06:32 PM

No matter how long your gaff is, it always needs to be a little longer to reach a fish.

Seriously 2-4' is what most people choose.

flip4i 08-22-2008 07:59 PM

In that case, might as well go with the 4 footer. Thanks!

trob 08-23-2008 09:04 AM

Actually, i seem to always want my gaff to be shorter than it already is. Its about 2.5 feet plus the hook. You have a lot more control, and thats huge on the yak.
I typically like to gaff and immediately drag it up onto my lap. longer gaffs get in the way. Everyone does it differently.

Billy V 08-23-2008 09:54 AM

3 ft. seem just right, it gives you good leverage and control.

dorado50 08-23-2008 10:27 AM

I saw a guy last week that five foot long gaff, :doh:It was as long as his rods!!!!!!!!!!

Willy 08-23-2008 10:41 AM

Also, think about the length and strength of your arm.
If you have long arms, that means another possible two + feet on your gaff. Some like a longer gaff to help increase their pulling strength, or to allow it to slip a bit.
Mine is about 24", but I have long arms and can reach it over four feet to the tip.
Obviously, think about how you're going to store it on the boat, that may make the length decision for you.

Willy

Matt 08-24-2008 11:14 AM

I agree with Tyler on this one completely!! I use a 40" gaff which seems long but alot of the time its just about right! Anywhere between 2'-4' will work just perfect!

THE DARKHORSE 08-24-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerdurden (Post 28346)
No matter how long your gaff is, it always needs to be a little longer to reach a fish.

Seriously 2-4' is what most people choose.

:iagree: Like anything, pros and cons to both, but one more vote for long.

Handymansd 08-24-2008 05:26 PM

I really like the extendability of the gaff by... Promar? On my second one, but it has the versatility of stowing short and gaffing long.

aguachico 08-24-2008 07:56 PM

4feet. fish swins away from the boat, swims into the point. No stabbing necessary.

Trout 08-24-2008 10:34 PM

I go with the short hand gaff. I see it like when you start hammering a nail. You don't hold the end and swing wildly... you choke up and keep it tight for more control... just a short extension of your own hand. When I'm on a yak I like everything with a low center of gravity keeping things in control. If I gaff a big fish and it's several feet out I don't feel like I have as much control. My 2 cents. I guess you can have a long gaff and choke up... old school little style. Aguachico is definitely OLD school. Sorry Art... you set yourself up for that one.

aguachico 08-25-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 28544)
Aguachico is definitely OLD school. Sorry Art... you set yourself up for that one.

There goes the neighborhood :D.

No worries, gaff length is not too important on the scale of things. It usually ends up being a personal preference. I wrapped my bamboo gaff using the thinner part of the length. It's lighter than most 4 foot gaffs which makes it long one hander. I like a 1/0,2/0 size hook - good for head shots. Also wrapping your own enables you to change the hook when necessary.

dorado50 08-25-2008 12:46 PM

In my opinion a shorter gaff (24"max) gives one more control as to where to place the hook. I like to bring the fish towards the boat and myself, horizonal to the water, place hook under the fish as you are guiding fish toward boat, as fish comes closer pull up gently and you got yourself a nicely gaffed fish. Did I mention next step, pull into kayak.

aguachico 08-25-2008 01:09 PM

I go with bambo, thanks c-level - because it's light, thin and strong - so a 4foot gaff is easily handled. I doubled the handle cord thickness for comfort - good idea for big hands. Again it's whatever works.

So back to original question for the Flip4i. Buy a 3 foot wooden gaff from squidco and trim it too what fits you after each fish you gaff. With this summer's bonanza of YT, it shouldn't take long.

cabojohn 08-26-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 28580)
In my opinion a shorter gaff (24"max) gives one more control as to where to place the hook. I like to bring the fish towards the boat and myself, horizonal to the water, place hook under the fish as you are guiding fish toward boat, as fish comes closer pull up gently and you got yourself a nicely gaffed fish. Did I mention next step, pull into kayak.

x2
I like the short gaff also...20"
I find it is much easier to handle a hot fish with a short gaff.:stoned::farmer:

esdees 08-26-2008 10:52 AM

I used a hay hook for a while, which was exciting, but unfortunately I lost it one day. My current gaff is about 3' long, maybe a little shorter.

bloodykayak 08-27-2008 03:55 PM

I have an extendable gaff, it is 29" closed and 49" open. It works great not to mention it floats if accidently droped.

flip4i 08-27-2008 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. With this new information. I think its best to go with an adjustable to be able to play around with my preference.

SESSAGAFF 07-02-2009 01:18 PM

1 to 2 foot

all titamium mine float no worries about them sinking

SESSAGAFF 07-02-2009 01:34 PM

i dont see a problem with thew length i see

a problem with the hook size and the opeing on the hook i watched a video this dude had to gaff it 3 times before he got it mine is 2 foot flocked grip custom hook with a swinging barb

h2ofishfo 07-02-2009 03:00 PM

THATS WHY I MASTERED THE ART OF THE GILL GRAB BECAUSE MY HAND COULD NEVER GET LOST IT CAN SWIM & IS FREE ONCE U GET YOUR HAND IN THERE ITS D-U-N:)

EFISH 07-02-2009 08:21 PM

I had one that was about 18in. loved it for all the reasons described by D50. Prefect and solid placement every time, (almost every time). I was fishing LJ during a yellowtail run when it happened. Hooked into a nice fish and during it's first run I reached back, got the gaff out placed it in a rod holder behind me and took off the rubber ball that guards the point. Same thing I always do. Got the fish to color after a short fight and reached back for the gaff. OUCH!!!! Put the point right into the back of my hand. The meat part that goes between the thumb and pointer. Just the weight of it was enough to almost go through both sides. That was fun to pull out. Good thing no barb!! Yes I got the fish. My first LJ yellow 19lbs..
You would have thought that would have learned after that. NOPE, about 2 months goes buy the hand heals and I happen upon a wsb bite. Bouncing an iron I get hammered and know i'm on a quality fish, nice 10min fight just to get it's head turned start gaining some line back and get it under me but can't see it. Reach back grab the gaff, put it in the holder with the ball off and go back to fighting the fish. Took a little longer then I thought :wsb: Oh man toad!!! Spin back to grab the gaff and sure enough in all the excitement I did it again:eek::eek: Oh shit this time I put it right into the top of my wrist and into the tendon. About half inch or so. Let out a few choice words, I think I scared the wsb because it went from almost belly up to thrashing up a storm. Pulled the gaff from my wrist and sunk it into my personal best 49.8lbs. The wrist took about 2 1/2 months to heal this time and left some scar tissue. In that time I went out and had a new gaff made, 3 feet which is long enough to snag fish and keep it under control. It also keeps the hook out of my way when I spin for it in the heat of battle. I've been fishing out of my yak for more than 15 years and i've never done that before. Lesson learned before I put one all the way through!!!!!!!:)
Peace Out
EFISH

Law Hand 07-02-2009 09:07 PM

Lets see this SESSAGAFF. I see you posting on all the forums but no pics.

SESSAGAFF 07-06-2009 09:22 AM

just sent out my last 10 on the weeknd making a new batch by this wed

got a bomb ass new camera to so ill have better pics for ya :luxhello:

-scallywag- 07-07-2009 08:41 AM

do you really need a gaff to land big fish??? unless im fishing deep in the kelp or for hali's, i leave the extendo gaff at home...i like the challenge and the safety of not having a gaff onboard, i like handling the fish, gently removing the hook and letting them go, or when i do catch that trophey grab it by the gills, slam it on the deck, get it in a figure4 and rip its gills out (big hali;s being the exception)....as for the safety part just look at all those gaffs in the tournament wipe-out photos....scary.

dorado50 07-07-2009 09:04 AM

I have brought in both a wsb and yt by the gills and don't ever want to do it again. Really rakes the hands,ok for the moment but next few days not so cool. Not being a fan of long gaffs,I opt for shorter ones,no more than 24" and I perfer the 18" one. Large and long gaffs are a minus imo, just another item to help in the loss of a fish. A shorter gaff gives one much more control over the situation and does not hinder you by getting in the way. Having a gaff on board without a point protecter(rubber tip,cork,whatever)is just plain stupid.Some guys are out there waiting for an accident to happen......

Law Hand 07-07-2009 05:13 PM

Got tired of waiting, went into garage fired up the HAAS Lathe and made this.

Yes its TITANIUM (shaft, cap, and hook), yes it floats, yes it will never corrode, yes it can be made in just about any length.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...971/GAFF04.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...971/GAFF03.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...971/GAFF02.jpg

dorado50 07-08-2009 10:21 AM

Why would you need lathe? The only way to make this would be, trepan a given diameter or weld titanium sheet. How could this possibly float if you grind ,or use lathe,a solid bar down to smaller dia.???? A solid ti bar is light but will not float! Want to refigure your process and or story so that at least I could understand and hopefully learn something new,thanks.

Law Hand 07-08-2009 11:41 AM

Its a tube, the caps are turned and threaded; as well as turning the tip on the hook. I also used a fixture to bend the hook. ( I have a lathe, just thought I would have some fun and put it to good use)

dorado50 07-08-2009 11:57 AM

Yea, thats what I thought. You can't fool a fooler.........

SESSAGAFF 07-08-2009 12:08 PM

ALL MY GAFFS FLOAT EVEN THE 12 FOOT ONE I MADE

FOR THE RANGER 85 CHARTER IN VENTURA ,CA MY 24'' KAYACK GAFF WEIGHTS OUT TO 5 OZ WITH FLOCKED GRIP ON IT U CANT USE A SOLID PIPE U NEED SOME FLEX IN IT FOR JUKEING IT IN THE WATER

Law Hand 07-08-2009 01:53 PM

Dave,

What are you talking about? Fool a Fooler? I never said anything about my gaff being a bar. You made the mistake not me. As for my using a lathe, perhaps you would like to come on down yourself and get some CNC lessons.

trob 07-08-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SESSAGAFF (Post 41117)
all titamium mine float no worries about them sinking

just a shade under a year old :doh:

eddier68 07-08-2009 04:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Made for me by Rik Osani OEX/ SDKA. Badass!!!!!!!! 3 ft.

Law Hand 07-08-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Badass!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

ericko 07-08-2009 04:30 PM

VERY NICE LOOKING!!!!!!!!

Adam12 07-08-2009 05:17 PM

Thats a sweet looking gaff, shiny.

dorado50 07-08-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Law Hand (Post 41407)
Dave,

What are you talking about? Fool a Fooler? I never said anything about my gaff being a bar. You made the mistake not me. As for my using a lathe, perhaps you would like to come on down yourself and get some CNC lessons.

just kidding around, But if you re-read your words you used your lathe to create this gaff,probably I'm mistaken again!Besides a lathe is used only for solids,probably not so good with .090 +/- walls. No I would not like to come down for cnc lessons. U probably do cnc work for me anyways...

dgax65 07-08-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 41393)
Why would you need lathe? The only way to make this would be, trepan a given diameter or weld titanium sheet. How could this possibly float if you grind ,or use lathe,a solid bar down to smaller dia.???? A solid ti bar is light but will not float! Want to refigure your process and or story so that at least I could understand and hopefully learn something new,thanks.

It is a good thing that an expert like Dave is all over this topic. I would hate for anybody to mislead the kayak fishing public about the properties or construction of a titanium gaff. The last thing we need to have in our community is somebody misrepresenting a substandard or non-conforming gaff as a true titanium gaff. That would be terribly unethical. I don't think you could get indicted for something like that, but it is wrong. Thanks again Dave for keeping this forum honest.