Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rudder on prowler 15? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25845)

Fish 06-13-2015 02:16 PM

Rudder on prowler 15?

So I was looking into getting a rudder , my question is.

How much does it really help? Is it worth having?

I've never used a yak with a rudder so looking for some opinions.

rossman 06-13-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 230351)

II guess my first question would be, how much have you paddled the prowler without the rudder and what do you feel a rudder would do to enhance that experience. I had Prowler for close to 10 years and found that hull to be the best tracking hull of any I have been on and on a drift, it would drift perfectly down wind. I like to keep things simple and the fewer moving parts the better. And if you buy the Hobie boat anglers argument that they can move around and leave both hands free for fishing and eating, then it would seen that you would need a third hand to handle a rudder on the prowler.. Having said that I have never paddled a kayak with a rudder so I may be missing something important.

driftwood 06-13-2015 03:45 PM

A rudder on a kayak helps you track straight on windy days. other than that, they're waste of time on a kayak.

Aznronin 06-13-2015 04:03 PM

Rudders for SoCal fishing are a waste of time. They are quite simply just extra weight, and one more thing to snag your line on. Don't do it.

alanw 06-13-2015 07:04 PM

I've never paddled a kayak with a rudder, but I think getting one would depend on how your boat tracks and if you do a lot of paddling in the wind.

Since I often go out in the afternoons when the wind picks up, I've occasionally had to paddle on only one side of my kayak for miles just to go in a semi-straight line because of strong wind, and I wish I had a rudder for those times. I'm not sure but I think a rudder may also be able to adjust your drift angle as well.

Fish 06-13-2015 08:59 PM

You guys have good points , I guess it really comes down to me trying one out but then again spending over 200 bucks for a rudder eek , that's a nice new rod or reel.

King Saba 06-13-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 230386)
You guys have good points , I guess it really comes down to me trying one out but then again spending over 200 bucks for a rudder eek , that's a nice new rod or reel.

Maybe take the more inexpensive route and build one?

CheapPelican 06-13-2015 11:47 PM

It noticeably cuts down on the turning radius of long yaks which is nice fishing around slips and moored boats. Saves you from having to take an extra stroke on your leeward side when paddling perpendicular to the wind. Can be used as a kelp anchor.

Its a luxury, kinda like having cruise control. You can get from point A to B without it, but if you ever don't have it you'll remember how nice it was when you did. I think they are awesome.

I still have my x13 if you want to borrow it see what difference It makes.

Saba Slayer 06-14-2015 06:32 AM

rudder

When I was with the Ocean Kayak Fish Team I really liked having a rudder on my Trident...it made paddling much easier...no more gorilla arm as you paddle along the wind and end up paddling on one side to counteract the turning effect of the wind. I'd get one even if you only end up using it when the wind is up.

Fish 06-14-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 230387)
Maybe take the more inexpensive route and build one?

like build one with out the turning cables,so its always straight? i could def do that.

Fish 06-14-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 230392)
When I was with the Ocean Kayak Fish Team I really liked having a rudder on my Trident...it made paddling much easier...no more gorilla arm as you paddle along the wind and end up paddling on one side to counteract the turning effect of the wind. I'd get one even if you only end up using it when the wind is up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 230389)
It noticeably cuts down on the turning radius of long yaks which is nice fishing around slips and moored boats. Saves you from having to take an extra stroke on your leeward side when paddling perpendicular to the wind. Can be used as a kelp anchor.

Its a luxury, kinda like having cruise control. You can get from point A to B without it, but if you ever don't have it you'll remember how nice it was when you did. I think they are awesome.

I still have my x13 if you want to borrow it see what difference It makes

I've experienced that one side paddle on really crappy wind days if it helps that then maybe it would be worth it to me , also guys lets just admit they look bad ass haha :p

Jimmyz123 06-15-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 230351)

I had a prowler 15 with a Rudder on it. For the price of buying one and installing it, I wouldn't recommend it. As others mentioned they are great for getting line snagged on, kelp, and anything else floating. If it's windy sure they help but if the Kayak doesn't have one, I would install one.

makobob 06-15-2015 10:39 AM

So go to OEX and ask them, tell them what you are thinking about, they might just have a yak with rudder you could try. Then you can make an informed decision. Good luck.

easyday 06-15-2015 11:22 AM

I had a rudder on my tarpon 160 and I loved it. I currently have a rudder on my thresher 155 I can honestly say I won't own a kayak over 12 feet w/o a rudder again. there are way more PROS than cons to having a rudder on the yak. You don't have to paddle on one side when in heavy wind and it really helps turn the kayak with little effort. As for the hands free argument, the wilderness systems kayaks with a rudder installed you use your feet to control the rudder, I assume it would be the same for paddle kayaks.

Fish 06-15-2015 01:12 PM

yea the prowlers have he foot controls aswell $299 tho =(

theluckypig 06-15-2015 04:09 PM

i have a rudder on my trident ultra 4.7 and love it.... it took me a year before i ever used it, but now i would highly recommend having a rudder... it makes a difference...

previously, i had a trident 15, and 13, and prowler 15... i never had a rudder on any of them and had absolutely no concerns about needing a rudder... they track great.

i guess the point is that ignorance is bliss... the prowlers track great, a rudder takes it to a next level... if cost is an issue, i'd go without...

my 2 cents...