Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NEW YEARS in mako-ville (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32299)

makobob 12-04-2017 11:40 AM

NEW YEARS in mako-ville

I will be in mako-ville for new years. I should leave here on the 26th and head to paradise for New Years. Normal meeting point is Johnny's Shell Station in El Cajon, Just off the 8, easy on and off. We leave at 4:30/5:00 at the latest. We stop at the border to pick up FMM and then head south. Those interested please post here. Thanks Mokobob. This is an OPEN trip.

SDROB 12-04-2017 02:01 PM

Ill be going down there. I will also be leaving around the same time. I think Lupe and Joshua are also rolling.

What day are you coming back?

makobob 12-04-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 288668)
Ill be going down there. I will also be leaving around the same time. I think Lupe and Joshua are also rolling.

What day are you coming back?

2nd I think.

Dannowar 12-04-2017 07:03 PM

Might be down. Had to cancel my epic drive to BCS so I'm itching to get down. Last New Years was great. Pozole and tamales!!

ProfessorLongArms 12-04-2017 07:19 PM

My dad Gary and I are in!! We will see you at the meet up spot on the 26th!!!
Looking forward to it.

rossman 12-05-2017 12:28 AM

I might swing up there for a couple days. I'll check the weather when we get closer to New Years.

Druko 12-05-2017 09:00 AM

I'm considering heading down also, but only If the winds look good on Dec 30 & 31st.

makobob 12-05-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 288683)
I might swing up there for a couple days. I'll check the weather when we get closer to New Years.

I will keep an eye out for all. Tight Lines amigos.

Neillio 12-07-2017 04:55 PM

YES!!!

I'm very interested in this. What would I need to make it happen?

Baja_Traveler 12-07-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neillio (Post 288733)
I'm very interested in this. What would I need to make it happen?

Your kayak and fishing stuff, someplace to sleep (Hammock, back of truck, tent, cot...), your vehicle with mexico insurance (or find a carpool with someone who has it), and a full tank of gas..

Thats about it! Optional is bringing something to cook - otherwise there is a great place to eat right on the beach (bring a little cash for that - you can live on $20 a day there). Bring another $20 for Bob for the use of the water for showers...

Mahigeer 12-08-2017 08:23 AM

Or you can look at my list just for fun. Search the old posts.

Restaurant has hot shower for 20 pesos. Well worth it.

You can have all your meals at the restaurant too.

Don't forget Mexican fishing license, car insurance and FMM. Not worth the hassle in Mexico dealing with problems. Specially if you do not speak Spanish.

The rest you will learn after the first trip.

Don't risk taking any NO NOs since there are military inspections.

Neillio 12-08-2017 10:39 AM

awesome thx!

Neillio 12-08-2017 10:41 AM

Room for pool?

Does anyone have room for me in car? How would we get 2 yaks?

ProfessorLongArms 12-10-2017 04:52 PM

Trip prep

Getting my tackle box ready for the trip...

I'm doing a bit of reading here and there, but wondering if there's any species you typically target this time of year, and with any specific lures/colors. Anybody care to share their go-tos? So far I've got a few mint tadys, diamonds, Crocs, and various waxwings

EDIT: Nevermind- I just spotted a thanksgiving thread with some great lure info.

Also-The guys I like to buy from at Johnny's in Altadena also just *gave* me this book when they heard I was heading down-

https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Catch-Fi.../dp/0929637046

It's a fun read, but I'm also taking it with a bit of a grain of salt. Most recent edition was 20 years ago, so I would gather it's a tad dated :)

It basically says Gonzaga is a great place to fish in the Spring and Fall, with summer being a furnace and Winter being pretty consistently stormy and windy.

I *did* notice a few posts about people picking up camp on prior Dec trips and running past weather fronts to avoid rough winds/seas.

Obviously the conditions will be what they are when they are what they are, (and yes I like talking/thinking about fishing as much as I like fishing :D), but anybody have any thoughts on what it's typically like in Dec in Gonzaga?

MrPukaShell 12-10-2017 06:36 PM

The information in the Baja Catch is spot on.

Druko 12-11-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms (Post 288812)
Getting my tackle box ready for the trip...

I'm doing a bit of reading here and there, but wondering if there's any species you typically target this time of year, and with any specific lures/colors. Anybody care to share their go-tos? So far I've got a few mint tadys, diamonds, Crocs, and various waxwings

EDIT: Nevermind- I just spotted a thanksgiving thread with some great lure info.

Also-The guys I like to buy from at Johnny's in Altadena also just *gave* me this book when they heard I was heading down-

https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Catch-Fi.../dp/0929637046

It's a fun read, but I'm also taking it with a bit of a grain of salt. Most recent edition was 20 years ago, so I would gather it's a tad dated :)

It basically says Gonzaga is a great place to fish in the Spring and Fall, with summer being a furnace and Winter being pretty consistently stormy and windy.

I *did* notice a few posts about people picking up camp on prior Dec trips and running past weather fronts to avoid rough winds/seas.

Obviously the conditions will be what they are when they are what they are, (and yes I like talking/thinking about fishing as much as I like fishing :D), but anybody have any thoughts on what it's typically like in Dec in Gonzaga?

Just be prepared for WIND, like at hurricane force speeds...lol.

MITCHELL 12-11-2017 09:54 PM

Maybe....

Put me on the list.... before my FMM expires :drool5:

defjack 12-12-2017 04:03 AM

I will be there looking forward to it. Jack

makobob 12-18-2017 11:45 AM

I will be at Johnnys shell station at 4:30 on the 26th, leaving at 5:00 for Baja, and I will be staying in Paradise until the 6th of Jan. Join us if you can. Tight Lines, Happy Holidays amigos. I believe SDROB and Defjack will be riding with me for this trip, so the truck is full.

makobob 12-23-2017 06:33 PM

The waether looks like this until thw 1st of Jan Low 70's DAY mid 50's night, winds 5-maybe 10 mph until the 1.st then in the low teens.maybe