Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Where To Fish Near Shelter Island Ramp? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31453)

Pescador Paul 07-03-2017 01:54 PM

Where To Fish Near Shelter Island Ramp?

I have mostly fished Mission Bay but am looking forward to branching out to other areas. After launching at Shelter Island, what are some areas I should be checking out within paddling distance?

Thanks,

Paul

FullFlavorPike 07-03-2017 02:32 PM

Fish under the boats in the marinas around the island. Mellow paddle and I have caught some bass in there.

Mr. NiceGuy 07-03-2017 04:06 PM

Depending on what kind of fish you are looking for, try the entry to both marina's at each end of Shelter Island. Along Shelter Island is a rapid dropoff into the channel, from just a few feet beyond where the boats are moored near the launch area.

If you are fishing around the entry to Shelter Island Yacht Basin, try fishing around the bait barge. They don't mind as long as you don't climb on the barges or get in the way of boats coming in to buy bait. I'm sure about that because I once asked them about their thoughts on people fishing there. No problem.

Another place to explore is straight across the channel from your launch point, both sides of the Navy Pier, all the way out to the end of Zuniga jetty.

Entry to the marina near the Coast Guard station east of Harbor Island sometime produces. Try fishing along the dropoff. It's straight off the continuation line of Harbor Island across the mouth of the marina.

If you want bass, almost anywhere along the Shelter Island and Harbor Island you can cast toward the rocks with plastics. Bass are all over the place, particularly along the shores, rocks and eel grass.

Hm. Add that to "under boats in the marinas" from the post above and I think we just named everywhere around Shelter Island, LOL.

That entire area is beautiful and enjoyable to explore, especially when the water is rough in La Jolla. If you like craft beer and a snack after a hard day over a hot pole, try the small restaurant on the Shelter Island Pier. It's called Fathom Bistro. Their beer selection is great. Good beer food too. Homemade sausage.

Pescador Paul 07-04-2017 05:39 AM

Thanks for the great information.

What about tides? Is it best on an incoming or falling tide?

Paul

blitzburgh 07-04-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pescador Paul (Post 282247)
Thanks for the great information.

Paul

As long as it's moving. Some guys prefer one over the other but personally I've had great days on both equally. If the tide swing differential is 5+ it starts to get tough to stay on spots.

Mr. NiceGuy 07-04-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pescador Paul (Post 282247)

Paul

Personally, I think the best time to fish is whenever I can fit it into my schedule. There is always someplace to go and different kinds of fish to look for under different conditions.

There are many variables, so this is my own priority policy:

1. go fishing

2. watch Tides4Fishing for bay fishing and ponder it's relevance while I'm fishing.
http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/cali...antine-station

3. explore many locations and situations, tackle and techniques

There are "rules" and rules to be broken.

"A rising tide is better"

"Fish under bridges"

"Fish between the two bridges"

"A fast moving tide is better"

Full moon, no moon, etc., ???

Halibut are reputed to be more active during the slack times, but I have caught them during non-slack times

Corvina are reputed to bite at sunrise, sunset and during the night. I have caught them in the middle of the day.

Closer to the mouth of the bay, the incoming tide might be relevant.

At the south end of the bay there is more water to work over the weeds during high tides and I prefer fishing the egress.

Churned up water during a fast moving tide can be full of debris in some places that is a nuisance. Other locations might be free of debris.

Variables to explore, techniques and places to explore are almost never ending. It's all fun.

This big single important fishing rule is pretty steady: "It depends"

Locations, tackle and techniques evolve over time.

We will all find ideas, locations and techniques that work for us during that particular season. What others might think or do varies widely.

People say lots of things. Lots of it is regurgitated hearsay by people who don't understand first hand what they are parroting. Others have accumulated vast knowledge. Some of them share; others not so much. We have to sort it out for ourselves.

I prefer to explore any idea that makes me curious, then learn from my own experimentation. I like the process of going through learning curves. There are many variables and many permutations. Like finding a perfect steak and a delicious bottle of wine -- the search always continues.

I think that anytime is a good time to go fishing. My questions when I go are where, how and why. I have other reasons for fishing, beyond catching fish. I like to learn. I like the exercise. I like the fresh air and private time. I like the solace and escape from other things I'm supposed to be doing. I like the escape from work and my daily routine. I prefer to target fish I want to eat and I try to avoid those I don't.

Altogether, it's a pretty enjoyable hobby.

If it suits you, drink beer :)

taggermike 07-07-2017 07:59 AM

SI is pretty easy. Exit the basin, turn right, or left, or go straight. Mike

Pescador Paul 07-07-2017 03:06 PM

Thanks again for the great info. I plan to launch my yellow Fish N Dive around 6:00 Sunday morning.

Paul