Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   gps recommendations? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6200)

kq 10-27-2009 12:21 PM

gps recommendations?

recommedations for an inexpensive hand held gps for yaking

JoeBeck 10-27-2009 12:47 PM

I use a hand-held simply because I do a lot of outdoor activities besides fishing so it can be used for all.

Currently I have a Garmin eTrex Venture HC, works perfectly, hardly ever loses a signal and I am able to put in way points for my trips and track where I am on my rout and follow it back. I'm not sure if I'd go cheaper than this one.

I used to have eTrex Vista which had a color monitor but I lost it. I liked it better mostly because it was color although I did not really use any more features than I do on the lower grade Venture so paying the extra cost again was not worth it to me. The Vista has a digital compass which seems nice but you don't really need it unless the trip tracking is not working which probably means you GPS is not working so you wouldn't have a digital compass anyway. Buy a compass as a back up navigation device.

bloodykayak 10-27-2009 02:26 PM

You can't beat the garmin hand held. I think you can pick up the unit and software @ Sports Chalet for $399.99. The thing is bullet proof, it servived a motorcycle accident with only a few scratches.

T-Rex 10-28-2009 12:27 PM

I had a Garmin GPSMAP 76 CSx. I was very pleased with it until it got swiped out of my car while I was fishing up in central Oregon last summer. Damn, I hate thieves!:mad: The pre-loaded tide charts and solunar-derived best hunting/fishing calendars were very handy and reliable. Another nice feature for kayaking was that it floated. You can pick them up online for about $250 plus another $75-$100 if you want to add Bluecharts. Similar functions to the Vista HCx, a little bigger because it floats.

I've read good things about the Garmin Colorado 400c and Oregon 400c (touch screen). I guess these are the next generation of GPS. Easier to use and bigger displays. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has tried one yet.

Good luck.

dadandsonkayak 10-28-2009 03:17 PM

i have a garmin gps 72.. completely waterproof.. great reception and all around great for yaking.. not that fancy as others but it shows waypoints and a general map..... tide charts and elevation and alot more... i think i got it for 129$$

inshore 10-30-2009 06:32 AM

Check out the Delorme PN40. Found it for around $296 and it comes with topo software.

stuppid 10-30-2009 12:49 PM

I have to agree about the GPSMAP 76. It is crucial that your GPS floats. I got about a half mile out one trip last year and could not find my GPS. I paddled back in thinking I would find it on the beach or in the surf zone. I could not find it and started to paddle back out and found it floating in the water about fifty yards from shore. What a relief!!!