Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   makos in carlsbad (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13591)

lowprofile 05-14-2012 09:46 PM

makos in carlsbad

couple reports of some mako's landed in carlsbad canyon around the 300ft mark.

saturday. :paddleersmilie: :reeling:

Baja_Traveler 05-15-2012 06:34 AM

Having caught a few makos off La Jolla in my old Whaler, I will have nothing to do with one out of a kayak!
Someplace in my office I've got a small bottle with a tooth in it that I pulled out of the hull of my boat...

William Novotny 05-15-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler (Post 118068)
Having caught a few makos off La Jolla in my old Whaler, I will have nothing to do with one out of a kayak!
Someplace in my office I've got a small bottle with a tooth in it that I pulled out of the hull of my boat...

Agreed x10

I see alot of guys geared up for shark fishing and with the reports of a few makos being caught they think is going to be the same battle as a thresher. It's a 100x more dangerous and mako are not the timid fish eaters that would rather get away from you without confrontation. They will shorten the distance between them and your yak very fast, come to color still green as fuck then be completely unpredictable on the surface. Don't risk out. Be prepaired for a very bad outcome if ypu do

Old Man in the Sea 05-15-2012 07:43 AM

Makos are wild jumpers when hooked

They get pissed and can come right at you with their mouth wide open...Jim posted a you tube video awhile back of one going crazy that will show why it is not a good idea to try to catch on on a yak..

ratdog 05-15-2012 08:02 AM

I can second those stories, the one time I inadvertently caught a small mako he came right back at me, eyeballing me and chomping continuously. He made several runs at me too!

William Novotny 05-15-2012 08:41 AM

plus, how do you plan to target them? Get a chum slick going? I'm sure other yakers will appreciate that. Recipe for disaster

lowprofile 05-15-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 118084)
plus, how do you plan to target them? Get a chum slick going? I'm sure other yakers will appreciate that. Recipe for disaster

Half a bonito suspended30 ft down under a float. Chum slick would help but don't want it tied to the yak.

William Novotny 05-15-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 118085)
Half a bonito suspended30 ft down under a float. Chum slick would help but don't want it tied to the yak.

If you know the risks and still feel prepaired enough to fish them, handle it. But alot of inexperienced people read these threads as well and fire off half cocked because they think mako and thresher are both shark so it's the same risks. I'd hate to read about one of you guys getting hurt or worse.

lowprofile 05-15-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 118092)
If you know the risks and still feel prepaired enough to fish them, handle it. But alot of inexperienced people read these threads as well and fire off half cocked because they think mako and thresher are both shark so it's the same risks. I'd hate to read about one of you guys getting hurt or worse.

epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHXP...eature=related

plan is to keep a good 100yrds from the bait, but they can close pretty quick and do alot of arial show. im curious to see how big of one i can bait up and if i do hook one, what happens when he dives down or passes under the yak with 22lbs of drag.

Mr. Adventure 05-15-2012 09:51 AM

Don't listen to these guys, DO IT! Also, can I have your gear they recover! :)

William Novotny 05-15-2012 10:01 AM

I just talked to this mako I know about your plan. He said fuck your plan, game on bitch. His words, not mine.

TEAMFISH 05-15-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 118105)
I just talked to this mako I know about your plan. He said fuck your plan, game on bitch. His words, not mine.

That's funny chit right there:)

sharjak 05-15-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

:D:D:D

lowprofile 05-15-2012 11:46 AM

does his name happen to be frank?

mtnbykr2 05-15-2012 12:05 PM

VUJA DAY...It seems that none of this has ever happened before...
the old do you think I can catch a mako from a kayak conversation/

lowprofile 05-15-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 (Post 118131)
VUJA DAY...It seems that none of this has ever happened before...
the old do you think I can catch a mako from a kayak conversation/

I started a thread late last year to see what the general sensus was on the matter than went out and scouted the local area of oceanside and talked to some skippers around point loma and la jolla and found id have to wait till summer to try it out. carlsbad is just down the street from me and on a good day (hopefully saturday) you can launch from the beach there instead of paddling 4 miles down the coast from the harbor.

mtnbykr2 05-15-2012 12:20 PM

Well be careful, I will be thinkin about you guys out at SCI....:reel::rolleyes:
no REALLY be careful!!!

lowprofile 05-15-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 (Post 118135)
Well be careful, I will be thinkin about you guys out at SCI....:reel::rolleyes:
no REALLY be careful!!!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12292

Yakin 05-15-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

:boxing:

Tman 05-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 118134)
I started a thread late last year to see what the general sensus was on the matter than went out and scouted the local area of oceanside and talked to some skippers around point loma and la jolla and found id have to wait till summer to try it out. carlsbad is just down the street from me and on a good day (hopefully saturday) you can launch from the beach there instead of paddling 4 miles down the coast from the harbor.

OK, I'll chime in...

I have caught a very large one on the yak, caught him on the iron too (not telling what color), doesn't really matter as I never got it back anyway.

Long story short, it was fun...he was curious, got some nice closeup views of him, unbelievable power, even got some pics, he smiled at me alot, took a bunch of line but was always able to get some back.

Ah, fun...until he decided to take a nip of the yak...

Have fun, I have seen what baby makos do to a fresh greenie yakside...