Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mako Monday la jolla fish report 6/19/17 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31370)

MITCHELL 06-19-2017 06:00 PM

Mako Monday la jolla fish report 6/19/17

5 Attachment(s)
1 to 2 at the launch its looks like some yellows were caught over the weekend.crowd at the launch was lite.water temperature was 70/71°.Made bait within one hour.all good size pacific mackerel.put one up and one down. Paddled around that way for several hours no sealions no yellowtail....by then the current had me south pretty good so I decided to start heading back before I got to tired. Still having the first two mackerel on, all the sudden my clicker lighty go's off on the flyline, then stops, I'm thinking a sealion, so I turn around to look and see a boil unsure what it is and all of the sudden I see a free swimming mako swim by me .I decide to try to catch it with both my mackerel still on both poles I reel up the dropper loop up from 90 ft to 20 ft I see the mako turning around i put it back in pole holder. For that is the pole I want to use.I quickly grab the flyline and wined it in as fast as I can at the same time the mako picks up my mackerel on the dropper loop I just let it run with it.with the flyline wound up tight the mackerel falls off the hook still in one piece.I grab the other pole and fight the mako it just goes for short little runs and back under my kayak I really don't want to gaff a green mako so I give it some line.findy it back under my kayak I decided to go for a gaff shot to the gills after it rams the bottom of my kayak.I make sure my knife is ready to coordinate with my gaff and I go for it I nail it in the head pull it up, it bites my side mount transducer.I give it 5 or 6 knife shots to the head and hold on with the gaff until I can grab the tail and pull it in..I slice it gills and let it bleed out in the front of my kayak.After it's fully dead I gut it out and last I cut the heart out and eat it, fresh protein for the paddle back.I release all my mackerel only useing the two.
When I get back to the launch a guy on the beach tells me yellowtail were caught more south from where I was.I decided to get my mako on ice ASAP it was almost noon.

YakDout 06-19-2017 06:10 PM

Post of the year, with the heart for a snack. RAD

SLYAKER 06-19-2017 06:18 PM

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reel Anxious 06-19-2017 06:19 PM

"Mitch the Machine"
Way to go Mitch. How was the heart?:cheers1:

battleborn 06-19-2017 06:27 PM

beast mode engaged!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FullFlavorPike 06-19-2017 06:28 PM

heavy

makobob 06-19-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel Anxious (Post 281505)
"Mitch the Machine"

MakoMitch. Way to go. Personally I never bring a mako on board with the head attatched. Even dead he can slide around and woops you bleed. Know a guy lost his big toe to a dead Mako.

MITCHELL 06-19-2017 06:34 PM

Salty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel Anxious (Post 281505)
"Mitch the Machine"

And fishy gamey taste.... great energy boost.:ack2:

kirkdavis 06-19-2017 06:36 PM

I've done it with elk heart and liver but never thought about a shark heart.
Nice way to celebrate the shark!

MITCHELL 06-19-2017 07:19 PM

Ya....I put it in side my kayak.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 281511)
MakoMitch. Way to go. Personally I never bring a mako on board with the head attatched. Even dead he can slide around and woops you bleed. Know a guy lost his big toe to a dead Mako.

And cleaned all the blood up, so I would not leave any scent trail, coming into the launch.

FISH11 06-19-2017 08:04 PM

Mitchell........DUDE!!!!!!!!! That was definitely beast mode. I was out there and didn't get a yellow either saw a couple landed, but lost bait several times and _Obed hooked up several times and lost hooks to what we though had to be sharks. Enjoy the steaks.

MITCHELL 06-19-2017 08:23 PM

I new you were going to go....

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 281528)
Mitchell........DUDE!!!!!!!!! That was definitely beast mode. I was out there and didn't get a yellow either saw a couple landed, but lost bait several times and _Obed hooked up several times and lost hooks to what we though had to be sharks. Enjoy the steaks.

I called you on the radio once I should have tried again ....did you hear mako on......

FISH11 06-19-2017 08:42 PM

No I did not hear, but at some point in the day I accidentally had the button lock off on my radio and it had changed the channel and I never noticed.

MITCHELL 06-19-2017 08:47 PM

Ya I do that to...

It changes channels hagging on my vest....

katchfish 06-20-2017 05:59 AM

Yur loco!:D

goldenglory18 06-20-2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 281501)
I nail it in the head pull it up, it bites my side mount transducer.I give it 5 or 6 knife shots to the head and hold on with the gaff until I can grab the tail and pull it in..I slice it gills and let it bleed out in the front of my kayak.After it's fully dead I gut it out and last I cut the heart out and eat it...

Savage. :cheers1:

octico 06-20-2017 06:31 AM

Nice report, Congrats!

Dirty Curti 06-20-2017 08:22 AM

Primal!:drool5:

summers in kuwait 06-20-2017 08:47 AM

Beast mode!

Great post Mitchell. Congrats on the Mako! The sharks were thick last weekend for me. I hooked up three times, but having harvested that thresher recently, I wasn't looking to get into any of that.

For all, as Bob mentioned, these creatures do not mess around. Be safe!

tunaseeker 06-20-2017 12:49 PM

Whoa! Ferocious!