Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Daiwa Sealine 40 problems.. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31487)

InfidelYak 07-09-2017 05:40 PM

Daiwa Sealine 40 problems..

Hello fellow anglers,
My Daiwa sealine has been acting strange lately. And seeing as how it's my go to fishing reel when fly-lining, I can't keep having these issues. For some reason with the dragfully tightened, I can still pull out line from it. I've also noticed the clicker will only engage at a certain setting, one click tighter than that specific spot and the clicker will make no sound at all. Obviously I can't keep coming across this problem due to the fact that a fish can never be landed effectively this way. Any advice from you would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Dave Legacy 07-09-2017 06:27 PM

Full spool of braided line by chance? If so and it's not backed properly you'll get that symptom.

FISH11 07-09-2017 06:59 PM

Sure sound like that's the problem. I you filled it with straight braid from the start. The braid is just spinning on the spool. Take it off and start the spool with any kind of mono 30 lb or higher and just put even 20 yards of it and then add the braid.

Milad Marrone 07-09-2017 07:22 PM

Probably an issue with the backing. If you are fishing 50lb braid you wanna back it with 12lb mono as it is similar in width to the 50lb spectra. Just go to a tackle store and get it sorted out if you need to find similar line size. If your reel is on its way out and you need a new one, get a Seigler SG reel. That reel will last you forever. Hope you get your problem sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahigeer 07-10-2017 06:09 AM

I had a similar problem with my Avet.

Even the factory changed some parts, but it did not help.

Later a friend working at the Best Tackle store in Torrance figured it out.

The entire braid was spinning on the spool. He simply removed it and put some stretch (finger) tape on the spool first.

Then he put the braid back on the spool.

Problem solved.

chris138 07-10-2017 02:39 PM

Tape the spool

summers in kuwait 07-11-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 282596)
Tape the spool

:iagree:

skrilla 07-11-2017 05:32 AM

I recommend 3-4 layers of mono backing under the braid instead of tape. I can't count how many spools I've seen with corrosion because of tape trapping in moisture.

Mahigeer 07-11-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrilla (Post 282641)
I recommend 3-4 layers of mono backing under the braid instead of tape. I can't count how many spools I've seen with corrosion because of tape trapping in moisture.

Good point.

I have not checked mine. Perhaps I should.

The key is to have a proper knot at all the transitions.

Then again, chances of getting on those reels are less, thus the knot may not be in play.

FISH11 07-11-2017 07:47 AM

Just start with 20-30 yards of 30 lb or higher mono and tie a Uni to Uni knot with a minimum of 6 coils on each side.