Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   46x23 flyline gb (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28829)

pingpangdang 04-17-2016 08:54 PM

46x23 flyline gb

2 Attachment(s)
46 at the fork 23 around. Got away from the crowd and paddled to some birds posted up by some pbs further south. Last week i sent my fishfinder back to lowrance to get repaired due to condensation/water.

Shooting blind so stuck with the flyline and slow trolled keeping an eye out for signs. Made a good call and the long paddle was worth it. First fish on my new tld 15...first time with the lever drag. Handled this fish with ease and the fight was enjoyable. No kelp in the vicinity...Easy land. Pulled him in with my hand with no problem. Just grabbed the bottom jaw all fingers in thumb out and slid him on the yak.

A few red crabs floating in the area. This yt had a few sea lice moving around on his skin...other than that pretty healthy fish.

Just in time as I just ran out of yt. Love battling these fish and would definitely release the next one if I still have fish in the fridge.

Burned some serious calories today.

Geno Machino 04-17-2016 09:23 PM

Nice work!!!

Sounded like fun!!

Good eats!

Dannowar 04-17-2016 09:50 PM

Seems like all you plastic floaters drifted to the southern mlpa.

Great fish and solid paddle.

Aaron&Julie 04-17-2016 10:03 PM

Nice fish and report. Thanks and congrats.

pingpangdang 04-18-2016 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 258965)
Seems like all you plastic floaters drifted to the southern mlpa.

Great fish and solid paddle.

Not that far south not with my tank.

chris138 04-18-2016 07:21 AM

Toad

taggermike 04-18-2016 08:27 AM

Nice fish. Its about imposdible to find a fish w/o some level of paresitation. Mike

murphy 04-18-2016 01:40 PM

Very nice when u can restock the freezer right before it's empty. Nice fish

pingpangdang 04-18-2016 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had the cell in the case..Lil blurry...grilling the kama (collars) right now with a rock salted aji or horse mackeral. ..those are so good so if you don't catch greenbacks and get the silver and slightly gold fish with a little dot by their gills keep one and grill it...In japan they eat the whole thing head and all.

Went to one of the local japanese stores and they are selling aji for 12 bucks for these little things. They don't taste like regular mackeral and heard they are really not related. ...good eating little fish with white meat.

YakDout 04-18-2016 06:34 PM

Maybe people will finally stop calling horse mackerel Spanish mackerel. I haven't ever caught a Spanish mackerel locally? Have you guys? I'm guessing no, they look like sierra mackerel for reference. Horse or jack mackerel sure, Spanish mackerel? NAH

pingpangdang 04-18-2016 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 259025)
Maybe people will finally stop calling horse mackerel Spanish mackerel. I haven't ever caught a Spanish mackerel locally? Have you guys? I'm guessing no, they look like sierra mackerel for reference. Horse or jack mackerel sure, Spanish mackerel? NAH

Kind of confused me when I got here. I have attached a screen shot that explains horse mackerel aka jack mackeral. I just refer it as aji. When I was in japan all the sushi joints served aji raw with Ponzu sauce and green onions on top. Some have them swimming in the tank...i ordered one he scooped it from the tank made sushi then took the head and bones deep fried it and served. The bones, tail, and head when deep fried and salted tastes like a crunchy chip...good with asahi, sapporro, kirin, orion or whatever japanese beer of your liking. ..or just your favorite local ipa. I prefer aji grilled. As the screen shot explains it is not really part of the mackeral family...i don't like mackerel but aji is pretty good. I dip the meat in a vinegar soy sauce mix with hot sauce.

Ask any japanese person about aji and they will tell you they love it. Here's a youtube clip about aji as well. ..it's said that if you can clean aji you can clean any fish..
https://youtu.be/s4_opwO2SgU

Aaron&Julie 04-18-2016 10:45 PM

Names can be like that.

No we don't have a true Spanish mackerel in SoCal, but for over 50 years, I've heard the 2 common species we catch off of SoCal called either spanish or greenback (which is the generally larger of the 2).

I've had greenback that was cooked on a party boat right after it was caught by the boat's cook. He cut it into strips, threw it right on the grill and just splashed a lot of teriyaki on it, constantly flipping it until cooked. He then passed samples around to everyone. Everybody enjoyed it, it was fantastic fresh like that. It's just one of many species that goes to mush when not cared for (bled & put on ice, or bled & cooked right away), like bonito, barries, etc.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I heard how fantastic horse, jack, spanish or whatever you feel like calling it, is fantastic raw (or cooked). I guess I never troubled to try it, it's bones are much finer than the greenies we catch.
I ate so much fine boned trout as a kid, that I tended to avoid fine boned fish in the past. This summer I am going to experiment both raw and cooked, the greenies cousin.

pingpangdang 04-19-2016 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie (Post 259050)
Names can be like that.

No we don't have a true Spanish mackerel in SoCal, but for over 50 years, I've heard the 2 common species we catch off of SoCal called either spanish or greenback (which is the generally larger of the 2).

I've had greenback that was cooked on a party boat right after it was caught by the boat's cook. He cut it into strips, threw it right on the grill and just splashed a lot of teriyaki on it, constantly flipping it until cooked. He then passed samples around to everyone. Everybody enjoyed it, it was fantastic fresh like that. It's just one of many species that goes to mush when not cared for (bled & put on ice, or bled & cooked right away), like bonito, barries, etc.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I heard how fantastic horse, jack, spanish or whatever you feel like calling it, is fantastic raw (or cooked). I guess I never troubled to try it, it's bones are much finer than the greenies we catch.
I ate so much fine boned trout as a kid, that I tended to avoid fine boned fish in the past. This summer I am going to experiment both raw and cooked, the greenies cousin.

The bones are not too much trouble. ..A lot of meet will flake off. Chop sticks or hashi are great to use on these. I'm not a fan of regular real mackerel but these have soft white meat. Gave some to some local japanese friends and even the kids loved it.

Mr. NiceGuy 04-19-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 259038)
Kind of confused me when I got here. I have attached a screen shot that explains horse mackerel aka jack mackeral. I just refer it as aji. When I was in japan all the sushi joints served aji raw with Ponzu sauce and green onions on top. Some have them swimming in the tank...i ordered one he scooped it from the tank made sushi then took the head and bones deep fried it and served. The bones, tail, and head when deep fried and salted tastes like a crunchy chip...good with asahi, sapporro, kirin, orion or whatever japanese beer of your liking. ..or just your favorite local ipa. I prefer aji grilled. As the screen shot explains it is not really part of the mackeral family...i don't like mackerel but aji is pretty good. I dip the meat in a vinegar soy sauce mix with hot sauce.

Ask any japanese person about aji and they will tell you they love it. Here's a youtube clip about aji as well. ..it's said that if you can clean aji you can clean any fish..
https://youtu.be/s4_opwO2SgU

When you say "Aji" do you mean Ahi?

If not, then disregard my post. I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know if Aji means mackerel. Dumb Me.

If so, I think you might be confusing Ahi with the wrong species. Ahi is generally Yellowfin tuna. It might also be Big Eye tuna, but I'm not so sure about that. Last summer we were blessed with Bluefin tuna coming into the LJ fishing area. Bluefin might be higher on the list for Ahi aficionados, and it may have a different Japanese name in the sushi world.

Yellowtail (subject of this thread) is Hamachi. Hamachi sashimi is good too, but it's not as popular as Ahi. Next time you are hanging out in a Japanese restaurant ask if they have Hamachi Kama -- Yellowtail collars. They can be wonderful, washed down with a large bottle of ice cold Sapporo. Oh yeah.

The last guy who prepared Hamachi Kama for me was in Hillcrest at "Sushi Deli 1." He popped them in the deep fryer for a few minutes. It made the meat inside wonderfully fluffy white and perfect. There is plenty of meat on yellowtail collars. I tried Hamachi Kama at another Japanese Izakaya place in Convoy. It was grilled in a way that made it greasy. Not nearly as good.

Now I'm confused :P

pingpangdang 04-19-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 259097)
When you say "Aji" do you mean Ahi?

If not, then disregard my post. I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know if Aji means mackerel. Dumb Me.

If so, I think you might be confusing Ahi with the wrong species. Ahi is generally Yellowfin tuna. It might also be Big Eye tuna, but I'm not so sure about that. Last summer we were blessed with Bluefin tuna coming into the LJ fishing area. Bluefin might be higher on the list for Ahi aficionados, and it may have a different Japanese name in the sushi world.

Yellowtail (subject of this thread) is Hamachi. Hamachi sashimi is good too, but it's not as popular as Ahi. Next time you are hanging out in a Japanese restaurant ask if they have Hamachi Kama -- Yellowtail collars. They can be wonderful, washed down with a large bottle of ice cold Sapporo. Oh yeah.

The last guy who prepared Hamachi Kama for me was in Hillcrest at "Sushi Deli 1." He popped them in the deep fryer for a few minutes. It made the meat inside wonderfully fluffy white and perfect. There is plenty of meat on yellowtail collars. I tried Hamachi Kama at another Japanese Izakaya place in Convoy. It was grilled in a way that made it greasy. Not nearly as good.

Now I'm confused :P

It's aji. ...my wife is Japanese born and raised...i love japanese food

chris138 04-19-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 259025)

Also, a seabass is not a bass. We don't have bull kelp, it's actually elk kelp. There are no porpoise anywhere near here; there are only several species of dolphin. 90% of the time you are getting dogged by sea lions, not seals.

But the Mexican yellowtail tuna is real. I saw one at the launch once.

Mr. NiceGuy 04-19-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 259123)
It's aji. ...my wife is Japanese born and raised...i love japanese food

Ahso, ...

ありがとう。私のミス。あなたは幸運の男です。
また、私は日本の食べ物が大好き

I had a Japanese student inspecting and assembling products for me in the past. She took my bait mackerel home and cooked them. The thought of trying to eat those suckers made me quiver.

</pre>