Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Not a La Jolla Fishing report (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30817)

stevie951 03-20-2017 04:41 PM

Not a La Jolla Fishing report

1 Attachment(s)
or maybe this is a fishing report from La Jolla to keep the parking lot there? :the_finger::rolleyes:

Managed my first Legal Halibut on the yak, after managing my first Legal Sculpin on the yak yesterday but just before i landed my largest boaccio ever, what a day:cool:

Launched to 1 footers with a 15 second lull in between sets, Cake! Paddled south west from our launch point about 2 miles to the rock piles and tore it up, all 5 of us neared limits.. Now to the fun part, the largest of my rocks, including the sculpin and bocaccio where on a Pt. Wilson dart, we got to the spot and everyone was tossing double droppers with squid strips but i decided to mix it up and tossed the point wilson dart and was pulling up straight hogs! On the Bocaccio, a little over 3lbs he swallowed the trebble on the point wilson and trying to remove it i clipped the hook off :(

Screwing around from there i replaced that anchovy dart with a not so hot butterfly jig and managed a few dinks through out the rest of the day but the best part, about an hour before heading back we ran through a school of smaller sized macs (about 6-8 inches..) I had a 3 inch big hammer on my bottom dropper loop and squid strips on the top dropper loop (2/0 trokar circle hooks) After running through the bait ball, i had a mac hooked to the top dropper loop, thinking nice, perfect so nearing limits i said screw it, dropped that sucker down to the bottom(120 feet), stuck the pole in the Scotty and DWAM, 3 minutes later we landed a 11lb 28.5 incher! Yes, double dropper loop, top loop on a 2/0 circle hook for all the naysayers :the_finger: If it's any consolation i never though possible either, i figured it was another bat ray :D

Mr hooks 03-20-2017 06:15 PM

Dam that's bad ass. I never really found the rock ply in LJ but I've tryed. I don't think Ive paddled far enough I know it's out there but I always get side tracked on the way out. Kinda my life story. :biggrinjester: any how that's what it takes to get em mix it up. Try new shit. I'll find that spot one day.

f'nsabiki 03-21-2017 01:11 PM

Stevie-Stevie-Stevie-- are you licking your 'but?? That is not good! j/k

igotpron 03-21-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr hooks (Post 277048)
Dam that's bad ass. I never really found the rock ply in LJ but I've tryed. I don't think Ive paddled far enough I know it's out there but I always get side tracked on the way out. Kinda my life story. :biggrinjester: any how that's what it takes to get em mix it up. Try new shit. I'll find that spot one day.

Rocks are everywhere. Just fish where the lobster pots are, should be a good starting point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiredantz 03-21-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie951 (Post 277041)
or maybe this is a fishing report from La Jolla to keep the parking lot there? :the_finger::rolleyes:

Managed my first Legal Halibut on the yak, after managing my first Legal Sculpin on the yak yesterday but just before i landed my largest boaccio ever, what a day:cool:

Launched to 1 footers with a 15 second lull in between sets, Cake! Paddled south west from our launch point about 2 miles to the rock piles and tore it up, all 5 of us neared limits.. Now to the fun part, the largest of my rocks, including the sculpin and bocaccio where on a Pt. Wilson dart, we got to the spot and everyone was tossing double droppers with squid strips but i decided to mix it up and tossed the point wilson dart and was pulling up straight hogs! On the Bocaccio, a little over 3lbs he swallowed the trebble on the point wilson and trying to remove it i clipped the hook off :(

Screwing around from there i replaced that anchovy dart with a not so hot butterfly jig and managed a few dinks through out the rest of the day but the best part, about an hour before heading back we ran through a school of smaller sized macs (about 6-8 inches..) I had a 3 inch big hammer on my bottom dropper loop and squid strips on the top dropper loop (2/0 trokar circle hooks) After running through the bait ball, i had a mac hooked to the top dropper loop, thinking nice, perfect so nearing limits i said screw it, dropped that sucker down to the bottom(120 feet), stuck the pole in the Scotty and DWAM, 3 minutes later we landed a 11lb 28.5 incher! Yes, double dropper loop, top loop on a 2/0 circle hook for all the naysayers :the_finger: If it's any consolation i never though possible either, i figured it was another bat ray :D

reminds me of Jorge in his early days

NICKWORN 03-21-2017 02:48 PM

That yellow stringer tho

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie951 (Post 277041)

Cheeeeeeeee.:sifone::sifone::sifone::sifone:

stevie951 03-24-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 277083)
reminds me of Jorge in his early days

Sounds like someone's mad I don't have pool noodles stuffed in the hull of my kayak for added buoyancy :rolleyes::D

wiredantz 03-24-2017 12:41 PM

he has jokes like Jorge too!

i know how to settle this... someone give this man a beer

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps50f313b8.jpg

King Saba 03-24-2017 01:05 PM

Tasty meals all around! Nice work!

TJones 03-25-2017 10:31 AM

posting our secret spot ?

shame on you. congrats on first legal. is that me in the front on avatar pic? grey cammo, holding the biggest stringer. :D.