Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Team Sewer's Brush with (In)famy (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21119)

PAL 03-05-2014 07:43 AM

Team Sewer's Brush with (In)famy

1 Attachment(s)
Tony Park of Team Sewer shared a fun story of a case of seabass fever for the first issue of Kayak Fish. Several BWE regulars make an appearance. Now that the issue is out of print, I present the online version for your enjoyment.

Question: What criticism did angry readers aim my way for publishing this story?

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/features/team-sewer/

I get a kick out of Chris Charney's cartoon.

taggermike 03-05-2014 07:59 AM

Damn, that sounds like a rough day. Coming in is almost always tougher than going out. Mention famous surf break and you know it might be trouble. Nothing like seabass to destroy your judgment. Mike

ful-rac 03-05-2014 08:08 AM

Yeah Paul thanks for getting that story printed in the magazine, that was cool.
I love tell'n that story...I'm still bummed out on losing the rod...that was not fun.

Did any angry readers criticize you for printing that story?

And your right the cartoon...is hilarious...I like the fish that's laughing at us..!

PAL 03-05-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 184894)
Did any angry readers criticize you for printing that story?

A few sure did! Not for giving away the spot, or some years-old bite. For this little tidbit:

Author Tony Park readily admits he wouldn’t have swallowed so much seawater if he’d worn his PFD during his crash landing. “Maybe someday I’ll learn my lesson, but not yet,” he says with a laugh.

ful-rac 03-05-2014 08:55 AM

I agree I should be wearing my PFD...Im guilty of not wearing one...even now..Of course I wouldn't recommend anybody not wear one of course.

Since you bring it up now, I will start wearing my pfd more often. I should...I have one.

jorluivil 03-05-2014 08:56 AM

I was one of the ones that didn't make it out that day and to be quite honest with you.........................I'm glad I didn't. I learned later that day that when the team launched earlier that morning the surf was up a bit but was nothing compared to how big it was when they landed; upside down, left side up and right side sideways

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bckXw5eE4Sk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Hunters Pa 03-05-2014 09:00 AM

Looks like the new Team Sewer t-shirt

GregAndrew 03-05-2014 09:05 AM

Just a bit of poetic license in that story. Breakers on the way out were more like 3 to 5 max (2-3' swell). The swell did build, which was not forecast, during the day and we came in to 5 to 7 or 8 foot breakers (4-5' swells). The landing was right in front of a manned lifeguard station, so the only things likely to be damaged were our gear and/or our pride (I speak collectively of course :D). Timed properly (aka waiting until the surfers say the set has passed :p) there was no problem launching or landing. Almost nobody had the patience for that though.

YakDout 03-05-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 184905)
I was one of the ones that didn't make it out that day and to be quite honest with you.........................I'm glad I didn't. I learned later that day that when the team launched earlier that morning the surf was up a bit but was nothing compared to how big it was when they landed; upside down, left side up and right side sideways

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bckXw5eE4Sk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Another good choice of music would have been the song wipeout from the sandlot.
That whole video I waiting for a hard right paddle (u-turn)

Deamon 03-05-2014 09:48 AM

Love the way you wrote the story tony. Good job.

chxh8me 03-05-2014 10:19 AM

Fished that spot/bite many a time... But never in those conditions. You guys are nutty.

ful-rac 03-05-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chxh8me (Post 184920)
Fished that spot/bite many a time... But never in those conditions. You guys are nutty.

Believe me...If we had known the surf was going to be 8ft coming back in..I don't think we would have launched. It was do-able in the morning and absolutely beautiful when we were out there...but when we came in...oh boy it was scary..! And once we had committed to coming in there was no return.

chxh8me 03-05-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 184922)
Believe me...If we had known the surf was going to be 8ft coming back in..I don't think we would have launched. It was do-able in the morning and absolutely beautiful when we were out there...but when we came in...oh boy it was scary..! And once we had committed to coming in there was no return.

I hear ya. I have the luxury of living fairly close by. So if the surf report is off, and it's big out there, it's not a huge loss to turn around and wait for a better day. But if you're driving from a ways away, might as well make the best of it.

Dannowar 03-05-2014 10:44 AM

ive surf launched/landed well over 100 times to all sorts of conditions. only flipped 2 times, both coming in. even at a 2% flip ratio i still get butterflies out and in.

cool story Tony!

PAL 03-05-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 184904)
I agree I should be wearing my PFD...Im guilty of not wearing one...even now..Of course I wouldn't recommend anybody not wear one of course.

Since you bring it up now, I will start wearing my pfd more often. I should...I have one.

One guy in particular (no one the BWE crew knows) accused the magazine of glorifying going without a PFD.

My response:

Quote:

Author Tony Park writes about his experience:

"I'm underwater in waders and no lifejacket in huge surf. I can't touch bottom. Waves pound me one after the other. I'm screwed, but manage to swim up for a breath. An eternity later, I feel sand beneath my feet."

Nothing in that harrowing description is an endorsement to forgo a PFD. The Happy Ending column is a subtle, non-preachy safety lesson. We won't lecture our readership. It doesn't work.

Park knows he was lucky to make it to shore. We think our readers can see that. It's the simple truth that despite his experience, Park still chooses to go without. We leave it to our readers to make their own conclusions over his decision.
All's well that ends well. :D

blitzburgh 03-05-2014 11:16 AM

Cool stuff! I love the cartoon, the guy is on a PA and everything :D

makobob 03-05-2014 11:22 AM

And THANK GOD it did end well, where would we be without our TONY??? Our community would be much poorer without him. Tony :you_rock::you_rock::you_rock:

ful-rac 03-05-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 184937)
And THANK GOD it did end well, where would we be without our TONY??? Our community would be much poorer without him. Tony :you_rock::you_rock::you_rock:

Oh come now Bob...you guys would have Stinkymatt and yakjoe to entertain.

Fiskadoro 03-05-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 184885)
Question: What criticism did angry readers aim my way for publishing this story?

HHHhhhhmmmmm.......

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yggQ3HbO0Wg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Mention Seabass Malibu and Kayaking in the same article?!?!?!

I mean who could of seen that coming :D

TJones 03-05-2014 03:43 PM

Ready to do it again this summer?

:wsb:. No pain , no gain. They are.coming. I can feel it.