Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Penn 500 Conversion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6793)

fishes 02-21-2010 03:56 PM

Penn 500 Conversion

I want to convert my Penn 500 to a 501. I was inspired this auction on eBay http://bit.ly/9mXFyb (hope the link still works). What I want to know is, where, locally, can I get the parts to do this? I figure the conversion will cost me more than buying a new/better reel but I want to do it for the learning experience as well as a little project to get familiar with these do-it-yourself types of reels.

Also, I recently got into the sport and bought a Sealine-X 50SHA and after reading some posts it seems that I should have gone with 40 and the lower gear ratio. As it turns out, my return period on the reel is up and I want to know if there are any concerns before I take this out, that way I can sell it and get the 40 everyone is raving about.

Probably should be two threads, I know.

If the above link doesn't work here are the specs -

Penn Jigmaster 500 converted to 501 (narrow) size with Tiburon frame
-Tiburon Lite handle
-Newell 5:1 stainless gears
-Newell drag improvement kit
-Newell LC-1 long cast bearings
-Aluminum clamp

T Bone 02-21-2010 05:51 PM

Penn upgrades are a little antiquated now.I mean this is what got Accurate and Tiburon going(Even Newell for that matter)but they both make their own reels themselves now.The reel you end up with wont be worth what you pay for it but thats your call.Accurate is in Corona CA and they have lots of distributors locally but the parts you want will have to be ordered most likely.If you want to hotrod a reel you can upgrade the drag washers and add ceramic bearings.That goes a long ways.I am thinking about doing that to a few reels myself.

TCS 02-21-2010 07:37 PM

Squidco has the kit, and apparently its pretty easy to do. I think it was around $40 or $50. I was thinking about doing it too, but decided to get the Sealine instead. Much better drags in the sealine.

herbo 02-21-2010 08:20 PM

On ebay under penn jigmaster reel parts, there is a seller by the name of jambythesea. He sells a lot of conversion parts and upgrades. A Tiburon frame could be purchased from charkbait....good luck.....:cool:H

PescadorPete 02-21-2010 09:35 PM

That guy probably has $200 in upgrades in a $60 reel. If you really want a narrow 501, the Penn kit is $65. My favorite narrow 501 is a Progear 255.

I have several out of date reels I have upgraded. They are still fun to drive.

I once had a Sealine 50 but it is too wide when winding jigs, it is out of balance and wobbles and doesn't have enought torque on a big fish. I bought the 40HA (4.9:1) and have landed lots of iron and bait fish with it.

Fiskadoro 02-21-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PescadorPete (Post 51991)
That guy probably has $200 in upgrades in a $60 reel. If you really want a narrow 501, the Penn kit is $65.

Or better yet $200 in parts in a reel that sold on ebay for $100.

The tib-lite handle alone is forty bucks.

I mean if you want to go the nostalgic route it's OK but for the buck your better off buying a narrow Saltist 30T, if your fishing spectra. You'll be amazed at the torque and power of that reel.

I grew up using Penns and bought my first jigmaster in 1974, that said they are way behind these newer reels in performance even when upgraded. I still fish Penn 525mags for casting Iron, Penn slammers for spinning, and internationals offshore, but in that size of conventional reel you can't beat the saltists.

Jim

fishes 02-22-2010 07:05 AM

Looks like the conversion might not be the right choice, I gather. Also the Sealine-X 40HA 4.9:1 is the reel I should have gone with instead of the 50SHA 6:1.

I'll try and return the Sealine and get the better fitted one as well as leave the Jigmaster as-is and use the upgrade cash on something else.

Thanks all!

taggermike 02-22-2010 07:12 AM

Like tbone said, the convertions are obsolete these days and not really that help full. When they first came out there were much fewer reel options so turning your old Penn in to some sort of frankenstien was one of the best options. There are so many great reel options now that having a heavy old reel on your rod and a bag of old parts in the garage at around the same price is not needed. The converted reels work well enough and look pretty cool, to me at least, so if you want one or want to do the work your self then go for it. I own a converted "yellow tail special" that I like well enough and still get use out of. It's a nasty old Frankenstien with maroon Penn side plates, red tiburon frame, and an ice blue accurate handle. I have to think that it is a one of a kind. Mike

MarkT 02-22-2010 07:34 AM

You don't have to go all in. You can incrementally upgrade as you have money/interest/time. A set of Newell bars/seat or a Tiburon/Accurate frame plus a 501 spool will convert the 500 to a 501. Handle upgrade and the rest are just personal preference. For bait, bass and cuda just stick with the 4:1 gears. The 5:1 gears are weaker (smaller teeth on the gears) than the stock 4:1's. If you go with the 5:1 gears you do want to go with the Smoothie stainless yoke... the stainless gears chew up the stock brass yoke. If you really want a 5:1 reel you'd be better served by getting a reel designed for faster speed with stronger drags.

I have a YTS that started life as an old 113H with maroon sideplates. It now has a matching maroon Tiburon topless frame, Tiburon spool, abec-5 bearings, HT-100 drag washers (including one under the main gear), Newell 4:1 gears with a Smoothie stainless yoke and a ProGear power handle. It's much cooler than anything I can just walk into a tackle store and buy off the rack. Starting again now I'd just get a Penn 113HN Baja Special... it's technically superior even though it doesn't look as cool.

-scallywag- 02-22-2010 11:27 AM

I agree, ditch the 500's, calling them frankestiens is a little misleading, i think dinosaur is more appropriate...although your urge to disassemble and modify reels is a good one stick with the more modern, cheap reels like the sealine's, shimano's or penn 535/545's..you can get them used for super cheap on ebay, then replace the bearings and re-grease or upgrade the drags to carbontex. Then you have a reel that will put down 12-15lbs of drag for around 120 bucks AND you will be able to service it in an hr or two instead of waiting 2weeks.

As for the sealine 50 hi speed, no worries, that is a bad ass reel for heavy irons, just fill the spool up 3/4 of the way (effectively lowering the gear ratio) with your fav #40 mono and match it to a similarly rated rod....some guys don't like the hi speed cause they really like to grind irons and the 6:1 tend to spin most jiggs....i like the 6:1's, because once you get the cadence down its a lot less work (on any given winter day I may drop the iron 100-200times in 120-220ft of water). Those that say you need lower gears to reel in a 30lb YT, should probably be fishing in the bay:biggrinjester: .
I do like the lower ratio, lever drag reels for live bait..TLD15 with #65 spectra is my favorite (that i can afford).

whitedog 02-22-2010 12:50 PM

use what ya got!

You might as well throw all that penn crap in the trash! just pm me the time and place?:sifone::o p.s lj is full of skunks:notworthy:

-scallywag- 02-22-2010 03:05 PM

whitedog,
I got some 500's with newell goodies that you can have...just kidding, I wouldn't do that to a friend!!!

And who you call'in a skunk?!?!?!?!?

T Bone 02-22-2010 03:50 PM

anyone use ceramic bearings?I think they would be a good upgrade for avets.I have had to replace bearings a few times because of corrosion on my jx2 and sx2.It hasnt happened since I been better about rinsing after fishing.

fishes 02-23-2010 07:36 AM

Well I'll keep the Jigmaster only because it's new and senseless to throw it out as well as do some expensive upgrade. From what I hear, they are work horses and for this reason i will run my $40 investment into the ground. As for the Sealine, I'll keep that too. I see versatility in having the two speeds on deck (4:1, 6:1) although I'm not sure when to use either, guess that's what fishing is for (figuring it out).

What stick would you recommend the Jigmaster go on? I don't have much allowance from the wife for this "stuff" but I do want something that will last. My other setup is a Sealine-X 50SHA on an OffShore Angler Extreme Live Bait 20-50# if that helps?

Thanks,