Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   anybody fish carlsbad? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32306)

Neillio 12-07-2017 06:08 PM

anybody fish carlsbad?

Anybody do any fishing around carlsbad?

AngryTurtle 12-08-2017 12:53 PM

I am a CBad resident, have not done a lot of fishing up here - mostly been fishing in La Jolla. Slowly exploring the Lagoon, CBad and Oceanside. There are a couple other North County folks around.

ChristLike 12-10-2017 02:30 PM

Fish the lagoons

Dirty Curti 12-11-2017 08:51 AM

Yep, I fish in front of the Power plant to C'Bad state beach and also South Ponto.

Also Oceanside from the Harbor to Buc Pipe.

I've done better in these spots than LaJolla for some reason.

mattamatta 12-11-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Curti (Post 288826)
Yep, I fish in front of the Power plant to C'Bad state beach and also South Ponto.

Also Oceanside from the Harbor to Buc Pipe.

I've done better in these spots than LaJolla for some reason.

Do you surf launch when down as far as power plant/ Carlsbad / Ponto, or still out of Oceanside Harbor?

I went by Ponto at lunch time today to check it out with kayaking in mind, as I've been curious to try launching there and fishing the artificial reef right outside the lagoon mouth. I did see a fishing boat out there, so someone else had a similar idea. I haven't done any surf launches or landings yet, but the conditions looked pretty friendly as far as our beaches go. Fairly small surf with good lulls between the sets. Parking looks convenient for access if you can get there early enough to get some of the spots right by the sand.

I may decide to try that this Saturday unless I can find any group going out that knows what they're doing to tag along with.

ChristLike 12-11-2017 06:37 PM

Go down to Lajolla and practice launching and landing/flipping over

Dirty Curti 12-12-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattamatta (Post 288851)
Do you surf launch when down as far as power plant/ Carlsbad / Ponto, or still out of Oceanside Harbor?

I went by Ponto at lunch time today to check it out with kayaking in mind, as I've been curious to try launching there and fishing the artificial reef right outside the lagoon mouth. I did see a fishing boat out there, so someone else had a similar idea. I haven't done any surf launches or landings yet, but the conditions looked pretty friendly as far as our beaches go. Fairly small surf with good lulls between the sets. Parking looks convenient for access if you can get there early enough to get some of the spots right by the sand.

I may decide to try that this Saturday unless I can find any group going out that knows what they're doing to tag along with.

Beach launch when the conditions are right. Sometimes not always right but chance it anyways and hasn't always worked. Sometimes it's a little risky. But if it's doable then I take a chance.

mattamatta 01-27-2018 11:04 PM

Planning on hitting Carlsbad near dawn tomorrow, surf permitting. Looks decent on the forecast at the moment.

Idea at the moment is to head fairly deep and look for some sanddabs for a while and hen switch to trying to catch some Mack’s to drift on the bottom for halibut.