Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oceanside reefs (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19293)

Maxfli123 08-19-2013 06:32 PM

Oceanside reefs

Any advice on set-up for out there...and how's the paddle out and back, and is it worth it? Haven't seen much on the boards about it but looking to take my new yak outside the harbor. Any advice is much appreciated;)

lowprofile 08-19-2013 07:03 PM

certain times of the year you can get white seabass, yellowtail and halibut.

halibut are there year round. check the reefs in 57ft of water and drop live sardines or squid (live or fresh) on 1-2oz jig heads or a three way rig. there's also goats around and they wont let that squid get too far.

Dirty Curti 08-20-2013 08:54 AM

I take a 12 lb and 15 lb rod with me. I set up with a 1 oz egg sinker carolina rig. I'll take some frozen squid and live bait with me as well as a few yoyo jigs.

About 6 weeks ago went to the AR1 outside the pier for an instant hard slam and quick release. Then later for a nice sandy.

A couple of weeks ago we went out to the AR2 for nada. The water was a little cold around 65.

The paddles aren't bad heading out. But coming in when the wind is up and the current starts flowing can be a long bumpy paddle in.

Maxfli123 08-21-2013 03:48 PM

Thanks a bunch guys...appreciate the info, hope to make it to both reefs(not on the same day) once I get my fish finder and a few other things rigged up. Looks like I now have an excuse to buy a new set up!!!

echo1er 08-21-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfli123 (Post 167641)
Thanks a bunch guys...appreciate the info, hope to make it to both reefs(not on the same day) once I get my fish finder and a few other things rigged up. Looks like I now have an excuse to buy a new set up!!!

If I have time I would like to go with you to the AR

yakfishin 08-21-2013 06:04 PM

Are the reefs straight out from the harbor and pier?? If so how far and whats the depth?

Maxfli123 08-22-2013 03:01 PM

@echo: ur more than welcome will let u know but most likely next Sunday.
@yak: google "oceanside reef" dfg has a nice diagram to see, not sure exact distance but looks roughly a mile or so.

addicted2sp33d 08-22-2013 05:36 PM

The reefs that are North-West from the Harbor entrance are about 1.1 miles out, according to Google Maps/GPS, at an approximate heading of 315 from the southern tip of the outer breakwater.

If you can launch from the on-base beach directly North of Oceanside Harbor, it's only about 0.75 miles straight-out from the beach.

Here's a Google Maps link to the coordinates for the nearest Reef, as published by the DFG: Click Here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfli123 (Post 167727)
@echo: ur more than welcome will let u know but most likely next Sunday.
@yak: google "oceanside reef" dfg has a nice diagram to see, not sure exact distance but looks roughly a mile or so.

lowprofile 08-22-2013 05:38 PM

del mar beach gets sloppy quick. i always launched in the harbor on base and paddled out. took about 20 - 25 min to get to the deeper reefs. the first ones take about 15 .

here's one of my trips. there's usually thresher out there too.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12238

jasont360 08-23-2013 06:16 PM

Sunday

Anyone going out Sunday ?

Cuyuna Kid 08-23-2013 06:28 PM

Weather looks bad for Sunday! Maybe rain?.......

Dirty Curti 08-26-2013 11:56 AM

Lowprofile must be fast.

It takes us about 40 minutes to get to the spots. AR2 is much more spread out than AR1.

AR1 rarely has any activity as far as boats or yaks but AR2 almost always has a couple of boats around.

An anchor helps as well as a fish finder to locate rock piles.

Good luck maybe we'll see you out there.

kobra 08-26-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfli123 (Post 167641)

Make sure your fishfinder is a gps combo. The ARs are rockpiles that aren't very big. Without a gps and good numbers, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

lowprofile 08-26-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Curti (Post 168052)
Lowprofile must be fast.

It takes us about 40 minutes to get to the spots. AR2 is much more spread out than AR1.

AR1 rarely has any activity as far as boats or yaks but AR2 almost always has a couple of boats around.

An anchor helps as well as a fish finder to locate rock piles.

Good luck maybe we'll see you out there.

im was talking about the ones out in front of the jetty not the ones out in front of the pier/hotel.

i could really move in the X-Factor. my first trip out took a good 35-40mins but once i knew where i was going it was game on.