Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Register kayak? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34825)

xDreamEpic 01-07-2020 07:38 AM

Register kayak?

I have a trolling motor mounted on my hobie and would like to know if I needed to register my kayak along with a CCF# in order to use it. I've used it for 2 years now without any issues but recently took it out to a lake and a fellow kayaker came by and looked at my kayak asking for a CF#. I did some searching online and it says any motorized watercraft needs to be registered. Just wanted to double check with you guys here before doing so.

Thanks in advance

jruiz 01-07-2020 02:44 PM

Yes if you have any kind of motor or sail you should register it.

Raskal311 01-07-2020 03:46 PM

You do legally need it but odd of someone caring is slim. It’s cheap like $32 for two years so you may as well get one. If you have AAA u can do it there.

Saba Slayer 01-08-2020 09:41 AM

CF numbers...?

1 Attachment(s)
Technically you need to have CF numbers on any motorized vessel...
If you visit Redondo's King Harbor and motor or fish around the harbor you will eventually be stopped and checked by the Harbor Patrol if they notice you have a motorized vessel without CF Numbers...
If you just motor directly from the ramp out into the open ocean they MAY NOT notice you.
I have been stopped and checked for a license and PFD while trolling in the harbor and the the Patrol officers commented that having numbers was the proper way to operate.
It's really pretty cheap and easy to do at AAA as Raskal commented... and it's good insurance on being able to stay on the water and not ruin a day just because a Harbor or Lake Patrol guy decided to stick to the rules...:cheers1:

AlwaysFishing 01-08-2020 05:45 PM

Applies to the Bixpy Jet as well?

I am guessing this applies to the Bixpy Jet as well? I was told that if it is under 1HP then I don't need to register. I guess I should go get it register at AAA to be on the safe side. Especially if it is only $32 for two years.

Saba Slayer 01-08-2020 08:05 PM

Bixpy

The Bixpy on a kayak is included as a motorized vessel...
You can save $10 a year on the tags if you do not get the quaga muscle sticker...

AlwaysFishing 01-10-2020 05:43 PM

Manufacturer's Certificate?

I went to AAA today with my sales receipt from OEX Sunset. They said I need the Mfg Certificate with the Hull #? Anyone know what this is about? I don't remember receiving one.

Mahigeer 01-17-2020 08:49 AM

Hull number was scratched on the back of my Outback.
Not sure about the other document, since I bought it used.

Ddwineguy 01-18-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing (Post 304431)
I went to AAA today with my sales receipt from OEX Sunset. They said I need the Mfg Certificate with the Hull #? Anyone know what this is about? I don't remember receiving one.

You have to get the Mfg. Certificate from Hobie directly. OEX should be able to contact them for you and get it sent to them or you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowprofile 01-21-2020 06:31 PM

Ocean? No. Nobody will care

Lakes? Yes. Those wardens and rangers have nothing better to do and if you catch one on an off day expect everything to be checked.

Adam8 01-31-2020 09:45 PM

Section 33-13-103 explains the necessity for vessels to display registration numbers; all vessels with motors and sailboats need to be registered and display numbers. Vessels that do not want to be registered include: Canoes, kayaks, non-motorized rafts (owner's name and tackle have to be displayed on these vessels)