Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newport, 9-18-15 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27093)

Amish Ed 09-18-2015 12:43 PM

Newport, 9-18-15

Short report today...

Fished from 6:30-9:00. No wind and no current. There was supposed to be a 3' swing and that should've made for some current. But, there wasn't. Water was 74º and change and VERY RED. I'm color blind and one look in the half dark I was able to see it was red.

Got 4 fish... a short spottie that was very lethargic, a tiny rattle snake, and 2 slime sticks off the bottom.

Should've gone to Dana!

Rambo 09-18-2015 12:55 PM

Did the Algae Bloom started already? or was one of your buddy (GW, HH, Mako) snacking beneath you?

Amish Ed 09-18-2015 01:08 PM

While it's probably the former, it looked like the latter.

joefish808 09-18-2015 10:26 PM

Dana wasn't that great today in case you or anyone else was wondering. I couldn't make bait today, threw the rapala around for 4 bonito in various places. Fished the kelp line, the pipe area, salt creek and went out to about 400 feet in Dana canyon for a bonito. Started the day late at around 10 and the parking lot was filled. Fished till about 5. Slow day today, I was thinking I should've fished Newport instead lol

King Saba 09-19-2015 12:38 AM

You guys should've just gone to La Jolla instead! lol!

joefish808 09-19-2015 08:12 AM

King, I'd love to fish LA Jolla, just far enough with traffic starting around 4, I think, that I haven't done it. If I did LJ, it might work if I'm in the water by 6am and out by no later than 1 or 2. I'm not a early riser, though, as in waking up at 4am or earlier to drive down to LJ . :/

alanw 09-19-2015 09:10 AM

Hey Ed you fish only in the harbor at Newport? I've seen some great bass reports from you out of there. I wish bass fishing excited me more, but I'm always wondering about the halibut I'm missing when I'm bass fishing.

Joe, Dana can be tough for sure but sounds like you know the area pretty well. Bait can be hard to find but it's there. I'm not an early riser either. 10 till 5 is closer to my fishing hours which is why I've had to learn to deal with the wind and chop more than most guys here.

joefish808 09-19-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 242393)
Hey Ed you fish only in the harbor at Newport? I've seen some great bass reports from you out of there. I wish bass fishing excited me more, but I'm always wondering about the halibut I'm missing when I'm bass fishing.

Joe, Dana can be tough for sure but sounds like you know the area pretty well. Bait can be hard to find but it's there. I'm not an early riser either. 10 till 5 is closer to my fishing hours which is why I've had to learn to deal with the wind and chop more than most guys here.

Yeah, Alan, usually bait is pretty easy to make, but for some reason it wasn't today in Dana for me. I did start late though. I had some mackerel follow my krocodile lure, but that was about it. Some days Dana is great, but yesterday I had to fish hard for a bite. Oh well, still cool to be out on the water though....

Amish Ed 09-19-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 242393)
Hey Ed you fish only in the harbor at Newport? I've seen some great bass reports from you out of there. I wish bass fishing excited me more, but I'm always wondering about the halibut I'm missing when

I only bass fish and if I'm fishing Newport I'm almost always fishing spotties. If I want calicoes I fish Dana.

King Saba 09-19-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joefish808 (Post 242391)
King, I'd love to fish LA Jolla, just far enough with traffic starting around 4, I think, that I haven't done it. If I did LJ, it might work if I'm in the water by 6am and out by no later than 1 or 2. I'm not a early riser, though, as in waking up at 4am or earlier to drive down to LJ . :/

I hear you. I love fishing, but when it comes to early mornings I have to make a compromise.