Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   San Diego Bay, 01-10 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=37512)

PapaDave 01-11-2024 05:24 PM

San Diego Bay, 01-10

My fishing buddy and I decided to hit San Diego Bay, haven't been there in awhile so what the heck, right?

Weather was COLD, but survivable, little wind. There was an extreme tidal flow due to a King's Tide.

I got there before my friend did so I booked it to the bait receivers and loaded up with some nice sardines, small and healthy. A good start. My friend, and his wife, are more of a hook-up baits type so a kayak scope was plenty.

When my friend arrived we met up at a spot we fish for halibut. Bah, nada, just a coupe of tail biters, so we headed to another location to try our luck on some bass, my friend wanting to pre-fish for the spotty tourney coming up. Because of the strong current it was hard to stay on a spot, but we found a back eddy where we could essentially stay in one area pretty easily. And there appeared to be a lot of fish on the sonar.

As I mentioned, my friend is a plastics guy, so he started throwing those, no dice. I'm a bait guy, so I rigged up and dropped down on a location. Instant bite. Dropped another dine down and again, instant bite. My friend drifted off a bit so I called him over, he wasn't fairing so well. I gave him a few dines and told him what I was doing. He decided to use the plastics still. After about my 10th Spotty, good sized ones too, maybe even a couple of legal sized ones. All fish were released. My friend finally decided to drop a dine down and what do you know, instant bite. However, he went back to plastics, stubborn I guess.

Overall a real good day fishing, traffic coming back home sucked though, 2.5 hours, blah.

MITCHELL 01-12-2024 01:24 AM

Reading your post....

Makes me feel how fortunate I was to have such a beautiful bay to enjoy growing up.
My dad used to duck hurt south bay.
Unfortunately most people I grew up with can't afford to live here including me peace out thanks for sharing

MITCHELL 01-12-2024 01:44 AM

BTW 2.5 Hour really sucks

You can always park over by sea world launching ramp straight across from Fiesta Island and wait out the traffic
I'm sure some people send the night on that dead end frontage rd worst thing that can happen is a cop will ask you to move I will not drive in traffic.

PapaDave 01-12-2024 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 320252)
You can always park over by sea world launching ramp straight across from Fiesta Island and wait out the traffic
I'm sure some people send the night on that dead end frontage rd worst thing that can happen is a cop will ask you to move I will not drive in traffic.

I'll check that out next time. I think my friend goes there when he brings his RV. Thanks.

MITCHELL 01-13-2024 12:07 AM

You can't miss it

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 320253)
I'll check that out next time. I think my friend goes there when he brings his RV. Thanks.

Just take SeaWorld Dr west off the 5 at the stop light go left Fiesta Island is to the right and mission bay Dr
Launching ramp is just right around the corner on SeaWorld Dr west pacific hwy will get you there too go west from the shell gas station across the bridge.

MITCHELL 01-13-2024 12:22 AM

I think the bathrooms.....

Have showers 🚿
I know there's an rv dump station there with water hook ups