Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   line keeps snapping,what type of line should i run... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13812)

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 09:49 AM

line keeps snapping,what type of line should i run...

ok this is what happen over the weekend,
SAN DIEGO BAY(saturday)-fell in the water in the bay,ruined my iphone got it replaced, lost a huge bite in the bay snapped line.
LA JOLLA(tuesday)- Got on something huge just outside the kelp bed using a sealine30 braided 30lb on a seeker american series live bait, snapped.
10 mins later same thing same result, is it that the line is old or im rushing the fight? can I get some feed back I need the help thanks:linesnap:

Yakin 05-30-2012 09:52 AM

Either you are getting some huge fish and your drag is to tight.

Or just your line is to old.

I am using Power Pro Braid with a top shot of Izor mono

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 120116)
Either you are getting some huge fish and your drag is to tight.

Or just your line is to old.

I am using Power Pro Braid with a top shot of Izor mono

how many pounds? that shit had my rod bent in half its was exciting as hell

oneyedeer 05-30-2012 09:56 AM

5olb braind minimum 65lb preferred

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 120118)
5olb braind minimum 65lb preferred

yeah thats what i was thinking but now confirmed that you sir

taggermike 05-30-2012 09:59 AM

Wow, that is a heart breaking couple of trips. It's difficult to break 30lb on the kayak. Your line may be old and weakend. You might also have a bad guide with a burr or sharp edge that is abraiding the line. Lots of "broken Line" events can be traced to bad knots. If your line had a kink or curly end at the break sight it was a bad knot. Some times a knot can be tied well but not cinched down well or tied and cinched with dry line that generates friction heat. Tie your line off on some thing and give it a pull to see if it's the line and do the same with the knots you tie and see if its them. You can also pass a cotton ball through your guides to see it there are any burrs or hang ups. Mike

Yakin 05-30-2012 09:59 AM

Yeah sounds like you just had either your drag way to tight or just really old line or a combo of both!!
Sorry to hear about your losses.
When it comes to my drag and I am trolling I will have my drag set half way down from where I would fight a fish.
I normally use on my Shimano Baitrunner I have 20 strait Izor mono.
on my jig masters I am running 50 braid with 3'-6' stop shot 30 Izor,
and 10+ up on each on another jig master!
You will hear many debates on this subject once people notice it.
So you will have many many MANY opinions to pick from by the end of the day more then likely!!!
Like I say:
Opinions are like A**wholes.
Everyone has one and some are better then others.
All just opinions and it is what works for you.

SingingChef 05-30-2012 10:02 AM

Stop trying to catch dolphins!

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 10:11 AM

I think its just old line I got it with the reel and it snapped from the surface and the rod but ill check thanks my ninjas

Yakin 05-30-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JNAST13ST (Post 120127)
thanks my ninjas

Man I haven't been called a ninja since my Juggalo days haha
and every time I get a new to me reel with line on it I take it down right away to get new line put on!
You never know how long they had the old line on there and never take their word for it unless they are a BWE gang member

JeffB 05-30-2012 10:31 AM

You may also check your guides. The slightest little nick of crack in one will destroy your line.

yani 05-30-2012 10:34 AM

Simple. Threshers.

TJones 05-30-2012 11:00 AM

try to back off on muscles Marine

this is not the obstacle course. :linesnap: or ease up on drag.

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 11:24 AM

imma go get me some 65LB braid today and double check all my rods thanks fellas

oneyedeer 05-30-2012 11:29 AM

very sound advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 120120)
Wow, that is a heart breaking couple of trips. It's difficult to break 30lb on the kayak. Your line may be old and weakend. You might also have a bad guide with a burr or sharp edge that is abraiding the line. Lots of "broken Line" events can be traced to bad knots. If your line had a kink or curly end at the break sight it was a bad knot. Some times a knot can be tied well but not cinched down well or tied and cinched with dry line that generates friction heat. Tie your line off on some thing and give it a pull to see if it's the line and do the same with the knots you tie and see if its them. You can also pass a cotton ball through your guides to see it there are any burrs or hang ups. Mike

Drake 05-30-2012 11:53 AM

Didn't read through the replies, but just curious. Where was the snap? On the knot? Did it look like the end of the line had a bunch of squiggles in it?

Did the the leader or main line snap?

You could of have a knot-head, that's my guess.

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 120159)
Didn't read through the replies, but just curious. Where was the snap? On the knot? Did it look like the end of the line had a bunch of squiggles in it?

Did the the leader or main line snap?

You could of have a knot-head, that's my guess.

no it was about 1ft into the water

JNAST13ST 05-30-2012 12:05 PM

do you guys think i should sell my cuda 350s for a gamin 300c?

wbrewski 05-30-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JNAST13ST (Post 120114)
ok this is what happen over the weekend,
SAN DIEGO BAY(saturday)-fell in the water in the bay,ruined my iphone got it replaced, lost a huge bite in the bay snapped line.
LA JOLLA(tuesday)- Got on something huge just outside the kelp bed using a sealine30 braided 30lb on a seeker american series live bait, snapped.
10 mins later same thing same result, is it that the line is old or im rushing the fight? can I get some feed back I need the help thanks:linesnap:

Check your guides with a nylon stocking ( female ) you may have a hairline crack in one or a scratch.:linesnap:

yani 05-30-2012 02:49 PM

this is getting kind of fun...

I realize I'm outclassed here. But hello, there's nothing
to do or buy. Just prep for threshers.