Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fog report (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30789)

Dantheman 03-16-2017 08:52 AM

Fog report

Where do you go for fog forecast/predictions? Now that the fog is upon us.

CrazzyGar 03-16-2017 08:58 AM

I use WindFinder App. The icon for sun/moon/cloud/fog shows you. Has other readings that are useful also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kirkdavis 03-16-2017 09:50 AM

I go to wherever I am launching. If it is foggy or feels like it might get foggy I bring my light pole for the yak. I always have my FF GPS and my phone GPS, and a compass, so I don't worry about getting lost. I only worry about getting runned over by some idjit in a boat, so I use the light and carry a whistle on my PFD.

Murray 03-16-2017 11:45 AM

Carry an air horn. Want something that a boater can hear over his engine noise,etc.

Dantheman 03-17-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 276838)
I go to wherever I am launching. If it is foggy or feels like it might get foggy I bring my light pole for the yak. I always have my FF GPS and my phone GPS, and a compass, so I don't worry about getting lost. I only worry about getting runned over by some idjit in a boat, so I use the light and carry a whistle on my PFD.

Good Advice!

I spend my time on the water between the boat and the kayak. Would like to know the day ahead if it is going to be foggy so i can plan to go out on the boat or not.

bwana 03-17-2017 11:15 PM

I got caught offshore in the fog last Saturday. When I launched at daybreak I had an offshore wind holding the bank at several miles beyond where I was fishing.

The wall looked impressive. Wind died and did a 180 becoming an onshore flow. Fog covered me within minutes.

None of the weather sites had any indication of a fog advisory in OC last Saturday.

The next day and the rest of the week all the TV stations were on Fog Watch 2017. Advisories started popping up on the weather links after that.

Thank goodness for my Richie compass and Lowrance GPS as I headed shallower to stay out of the boat traffic.

So be prepared for the unexpected. You can check all the sites and they can still be wrong until a trend is established.

makobob 03-18-2017 06:58 AM

Back in the day, before Loran C and Gps all you had was a compass and your BRAIN. Daily winds are normally from the NW, so the normal swell was too. Usually not much wind with fog so yesterdays wave pattern stays the same. Not too hard to get home if you are not in the shipping lanes. Coming back from Catalina spenT a few nights anchored off the cliffs north of La Jolla, F/F to watch depth, when we got to 30 feet we would anchor up and wait for te fog to lift, usually it would clear the next morning. Common sense still works.

Harry Hill 03-18-2017 07:34 AM

Some friends told me about a trip they had where they went out of LA in a small sail boat in clear skies and the fog rolled in when the wind quit. They didn't have a compass and their kicker quit so they drifted for a couple of days and ended up outside of Mission Bay I think they said when the fog lifted. I guess the California current carried them down.