Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NPH 3/31/14 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21482)

Schmalzy88 03-31-2014 01:24 PM

NPH 3/31/14

1 Attachment(s)
Headed down to Newport Harbor today, got there at 515AM. On the water by 540AM. Met up with AmishEd and Chris, both BWE members. Pretty slow morning as the water temp dropped about 8 degrees since last week. Ed pulled in a couple. Not sure how many or what species. The skunk was on for Chris. I got 3 bass: 1 calico, 1 sandbass, and 1 spottie. Sandbass on the first cast with a 1/2 oz. pink leadhead and a 2 tone green swimbait. Calico and Spottie were on a texas rigged nuclear chicken gulp shrimp. Pretty good day overall. A little wind and chop as the morning dragged on. Its nice getting out with other BWE guys and getting some practice in.

Bert Vega 03-31-2014 01:50 PM

Nice job.Looks like you are having a good time on the new ride.

NEEFFF 03-31-2014 01:51 PM

Is the bait Barge back yet???

WildernessWanker 03-31-2014 02:01 PM

That's the trifecta, nice work!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Schmalzy88 03-31-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Vega (Post 188543)
Nice job.Looks like you are having a good time on the new ride.

absolutely! couldnt be happier. it is a great starter SOT.

@NEFF the barge was nowhere in sight. bait was all over the place today and chris sabiki'd up a bunch of smelt that we drifted unsuccessfully for hali. (i guess he technically didnt get skunked after all lol)

NEEFFF 03-31-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmalzy88 (Post 188547)
absolutely! couldnt be happier. it is a great starter SOT.

@NEFF the barge was nowhere in sight. bait was all over the place today and chris sabiki'd up a bunch of smelt that we drifted unsuccessfully for hali. (i guess he technically didnt get skunked after all lol)

lol Thanks!

alanw 03-31-2014 03:00 PM

I hate using smelt for bait, they just aren't as lively or as flashy as mackerel

bus kid 03-31-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEEFFF (Post 188544)
Is the bait Barge back yet???

April 5th if I remember correctly, it was discussed in another thread. I i find it I will post up a new thread.

WildernessWanker 03-31-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 188551)
I hate using smelt for bait, they just aren't as lively or as flashy as mackerel

I usually rig them on a 3-way swivel hooked through the upper lip and out the nose and they just kinda do their thing, swim weakly around. How do you rig them and do you get much more action out of them?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

live2fishy 03-31-2014 05:23 PM

The key to smelt rigging is light wire hooks I blew it and left them in the truck. I also like to use spectra and trap rig them for minimal resistance.
I feel skunked but I guess in reality I had the best day out of all with over 15 fish c&r haha and even a triple at one point, it was wide open! Lol

-Eric

I guess I look like a Chris... Lol

Schmalzy88 03-31-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live2fishy (Post 188561)
The key to smelt rigging is light wire hooks I blew it and left them in the truck. I also like to use spectra and trap rig them for minimal resistance.
I feel skunked but I guess in reality I had the best day out of all with over 15 fish c&r haha and even a triple at one point, it was wide open! Lol

-Eric

I guess I look like a Chris... Lol

FUUUUHH.....
my bad bro, ive only had like 8 hours sleep the past 2 nights combined and im trying to write a 6 page paper for school...i'm a little delirious.

Amish Ed 03-31-2014 08:23 PM

Nice fishing with you guy. Too bad the catching wasn't better. I had 2 short sandies and a legal spot. 2 fish ate the slip jig and one bit a C-rigged Zoom Fluke. I fished the first 1/2 hour with no bites and couldn't figure it out. It was dark, the sand bass should've been biting. Then I looked at my FF and saw 56º. BRRRR! I later saw 54º and the highest was 58º, last week it was 64º and change. Can't expect the fish to bite with that kind of drop. Lots of bait in the water though as Eric found out.