Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   4/24 Yesterday's Bite (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17899)

rossman 05-01-2013 06:19 AM

4/24 Yesterday's Bite

4 Attachment(s)
In a previous post from the Iceman, Andy describes his reluctance to "chase yesterday's bite" so since I was able to get the party started on Wednesday of last week, I thought it is finally time to post a record of my day of fishing. Well, from Andy's point of view it was actually the day before yesterday's bite, but I told Andy and an "presently unnamed" yaker of my success on Wednesday. The story from Thursday from this "presently unnamed" person will of course be "yesterday's bite".

I have caught and lost numerous local WSB in the over the years in the months of March through September, but the week before the moons (new and full) in April and May has always been the sweet spot, especially on the week where the water temp first hits 63 degrees. So launching on Wednesday I had some pretty high hopes on having a run-in with one of these coastal ghosts.

I launched at first light and made my way to the bait area where I found swarms of jack macs but no greenies. I rigged these up Carolina style and started working my spots for no love for a couple hours. I finally found a few greenies of the right size and was hooked up within 10 minutes. This "probable" bull dozed into the kelp and the hook pulled within a minute. A half hour later I had another pickup and this one did the same thing broke off in the kelp. (note to self: Change from straight mono to braid) Finally around 9:00 am I had a third pick up and this one headed for open water when I swung on it. It became an up and down fight in 75 ft of water and I was pretty convinced it was a BSB. I can't describe the feeling when this thing rolled belly up 10 ft below the surface and I saw all of that white.

After several unsuccessful tries to get her on my back deck, I finally just put her in one of my foot wells and paddled in.

Attachment 9094

Here's a couple more pics this 47.5 lb capture.

Attachment 9095

Attachment 9096

Attachment 9097

Since Andy and a "presently unnamed" yaker both bettered my mark, I have no choice but to upgrade. I tried yesterday, but while the conditions have not changed much, the wind and the confused seas made it quite uncomfortable. Oh well, the new moon will come soon enough.

The Rossman

addicted2sp33d 05-01-2013 06:26 AM

Beautiful fish, and great story!

Thanks for taking the time to share with us weekday working-stiffs. :doh:

blitzburgh 05-01-2013 06:37 AM

F-N-A! Way to go man!:luxhello:

StinkyMatt 05-01-2013 06:57 AM

Great fish! Great write up. Thank you.

Damn, they paved the beach at LJ! :D

Iceman 05-01-2013 07:34 AM

Ross, thanks for lighting the fire. Nice :wsb:!!!........that other guy burned my house down :D....well there was smoke coming out of my ears.

easyday 05-01-2013 09:38 AM

Awesome fish

steveooo 05-01-2013 10:40 AM

Ross is one of the most fishy guys I know. He puts his time in OTW to catch fish like this.

When I grow up, I want to be like Ross :wsb: :wsb: :wsb: :notworthy:

lamb 05-01-2013 11:10 AM

Sweet fish,

CONGRATS!!! :cheers1:

SorryCharlie 05-01-2013 02:58 PM

VERY nice fish!

When I hit the water the weekend after your catch the guy at the bait barge mentioned your exploit and enticed me to try for one..... No luck, but Ill keep trying.

Any tips on what to look for on the surface that could say they are around?

Hopefully Ill see you out there some day.

rossman 05-01-2013 04:05 PM

There seems to be two types of wsb in my experience. Those that hang out on the edges of the kelp in attack mode and will make a run at bait swimming by on the outside of the kelp. The other tends to hang out under bait balls in open water. Greyhounding bait, boils and terns are going indications of something going on in the kelp. Bait balls in open water are made obvious by bird schools, ( especially terns) dolfin and feeding sea lions. If you have a meter you'll see these bass around the outside and underneath the balled up bait. Did I mention terns? If you see terns interested in a stretch of water, you should be interested too.

Good luck

mtnbykr2 05-01-2013 07:14 PM

Awesome post, Awesome fish, congrats on that wall hanger...

JeffB 05-01-2013 07:19 PM

Very nice! I will take one of those any day of the week.

philr21 05-01-2013 07:33 PM

Very cool indeed!

Sully1 05-01-2013 07:41 PM

Enjoy the fine eats!

SorryCharlie 05-01-2013 08:02 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. :notworthy:

I have to say this site is fantastic! I have only been on for a few months and everybody is so willing to give advice and help us rookies improve our game.

I'm going out this weekend and will give it a try.

Thanks again!

bellcon 05-01-2013 08:06 PM

Congrats Ross
that fish is a beauty:cheers1:

Old Man in the Sea 05-02-2013 07:54 AM

WTG ROSS

nothing like a big WSB on the game clip secured in the yak!!!:wsb::you_rock:

capntim 05-02-2013 09:14 AM

Great one Ross. And thanks for the in sight. You obviously know what you are talking about!

JarrodMc 05-02-2013 10:17 PM

Nice fish! Thanks for the story and great post. enjoy the eats!

FlyFishinYakr 05-03-2013 12:22 AM

Attachment 9095

Attachment 9096

Attachment 9097

Since Andy and a "presently unnamed" yaker both bettered my mark, I have no choice but to upgrade. I tried yesterday, but while the conditions have not changed much, the wind and the confused seas made it quite uncomfortable. Oh well, the new moon will come soon enough.

The Rossman[/QUOTE]

I knew there was another reason for truck racks!!! :D
FFY
Veeerrryy nice feeessshhh!!!!!