Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   summer fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26841)

taggermike 08-28-2015 08:55 AM

summer fishing

I normally travel pretty light kayak fishing. But in the summer i carry even less gear. No bait pump or FF. A heavy bait stick, a lighter bait stick that doubles as a sibiki rod, and 2 9' jig sticks. 1 small plano box, 2 leader spools, and a water proof box with 12 hooks and a couple extra sibikis. Bare bones. Mike

ctfphoto 08-28-2015 09:24 AM

I travel a lot heavier, extra water, extra gear for sun if needed, just more stuff.

Come to think of it, I'm packed in winter as well :D

summers in kuwait 08-28-2015 01:59 PM

I seem to travel pretty light (revo 13), except when fishing the bays. But in La Jolla I usually bring:

• 1 live bait setup (recently running 25lb fluro leader)
• 1 Surface/Yo-Yo Iron setup
• 1 Trout rod (6 lb test) - I use this for catching bait. Easy, cheap & light weight 2 piece setup that can be stored below and it makes catching bait a little more fun, esp. a chunky bonito. But I usually dont land the random by-catch with this setup.

Bait tank, a couple weights, 25/40 lb leaders, some extra hooks, 2 extra sabiki rigs, a tin of cat food, and 2 irons.

Then beer, water, sunscreen :sifone:

King Saba 08-28-2015 03:23 PM

Light and simple for sure! Do you guys go for calicos and other sub-surface to surface species? I still have a tendency to bring WAY too much stuff with me.

HobieScot 08-28-2015 04:24 PM

summer fishing

I have one year round tackle box that has everything from live bait hooks, swivels and weights, to cranks, magnum rapala for trolling to bass tackle. And one dry bag with a change of clothes and a towel. Spool of flouro and a gaff.

Two set ups, one 20lb for bass and to use for the Sabiki and one 30 for trolling and irons.

This is trimmed way down from the kitchen sink I used to bring

It seems the longer I fish on a kayak the less crap I wanna bring with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summers in kuwait 08-28-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HobieScot (Post 239765)

It seems the longer I fish on a kayak the less crap I wanna bring with me

Same here.

HobieScot 08-28-2015 04:34 PM

On my boat I brought anything and everything "just in case"

But with the limited room on the hobie I'm continuously trying to find a reason not to bring this or that

I'm sure one day I'll get into a situation where I "wish" I had something with me that I purposefully left home

But so far so good

Amish Ed 08-28-2015 04:39 PM

Being as bass guy I bring the same all year long. The only thing that changes is that if i'm going for calicoes or shelter island Sandies then I bring my box of big plastics. That I bring too much is a given.

surfisher 08-28-2015 05:45 PM

Same.
- 1 sabiki pole (Always ready if bait pops up)
- Bait stick
- Surface iron/Yoyo
- [Occasionally] light bass rod + small waxwing for the bonies/cuda fun

1 small plano holding 2 tady 45's, 2 tady C's, 2 Salas 6x, 2 salas 6x jr and 2 larger waxwings.

Everything else I can fit in the center hatch on my revo. Lightweight so I can still peddle all day and not get tired. Nothing like traveling light. When fishing a spot I know pretty well I leave the FF at home which reduces weight even more.