Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   big bear lake -kayak fishing? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10012)

wiredantz 04-18-2011 09:21 AM

big bear lake -kayak fishing?

has anyone gone?

YakMedic 04-18-2011 11:10 AM

It's a place I've always wanted to fish on a yak, plus I live close. The downside is its 20$ to launch for a single day due to some water resi charge. If you plan on going I'm in, let me know... weekends are best for me.

StinkyMatt 04-18-2011 12:12 PM

Tubed there many times, never paid a cent. Leave out of Boulder bay or any other place where it is not private. Summer trout hang very deep, bass will be in the shallow grass/ weeds. If you go now the trout can be had in much shallower water.

dsafety 04-18-2011 05:04 PM

Big Bear lake is not friendly to tourist boaters of any kind. Locals pony up for a annual permit that lets them get on the water any time they want. Visitors are asked to buy daily permits that costs as much as a good dinner at the best restaurant in town.

I have been pulled over by the lake patrol in everything from an float tube to a canoe. They never wrote me a ticket but were very firm in saying that if they saw me out there again bad things would happen.

I seldom go to Big Bear in the summer any more.

Bob

bus kid 04-18-2011 06:07 PM

fuggedaboutit

I'm with Bob. Irvine lake is better.

tunaseeker 04-18-2011 06:15 PM

Yep, sounds like the little hick town I grew up in...Don’t see many yaks on the lake. The wind can really kick in the afternoon. Trout are down deep on the north side from Grays landing to the observatory in the summer. In spring the trout are good but not too large, pick up most trolling. Never really hit the bass up there. The lake is full of carp, see many flatlanders using corn fishing for them.

TT5150 04-18-2011 10:19 PM

Just did a weekend and spent a fortune. Not a friendly person in sight spent half the day getting inspected and just about got myself arrested. The police boat kept bugging us apparently their memory sucks as much as they do. Then with the wind and drunk boaters it was a nightmare.

MuddyMike 04-18-2011 10:47 PM

Dang, I guess a lot has changed in 14 years. I lived up there for a couple years and there was never any launch fees or hassles from lake patrol. I had a little Sears Gamefisher with a 10hp motor and fished all the time spring through fall.

I don't recall a lake use sticker back then, but it's entirely possible I just forgot about it.

North shore between grout bay and the Observatory was always a great place for trout and bass. Bass were usually on the small side, but a lot more fun to fish for than trout.

It was pretty nice when it was in my back yard, but I'm not too motivated to make a trip up there to fish besides to refresh some memories.

armyyaker 05-15-2011 10:41 PM

just went there

I just went to big bear on Friday to beat the crowds for the trout tournament. I launched out of boulder bay and it was free. I trolled around the mouth of the bay for a few hours using mostly the wind to drift me. I had a few hits and caught two decent trout. On the way in just outside of the dock I ended up catching a crappie drifting some power bait. I stopped and anchored and ended up catching 19 on tube jigs... I agree with the rest of the posts the 45 dollars for an annual pass is a bit excessive. I go there as often as possible since its not far so if any one is interested in going let me know.

YakMedic 05-16-2011 10:39 AM

Army,
I'm in for a BBL trip, weekends only for me at the moment. Gettin into a crappie bite is always fun.

Phatford 05-16-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakMedic (Post 83886)
Army,
I'm in for a BBL trip, weekends only for me at the moment. Gettin into a crappie bite is always fun.

I might have to join you two TOO!!! ha ha
Medic are you Army also? I was just curious.

YakMedic 05-16-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatford (Post 83893)
I might have to join you two TOO!!! ha ha
Medic are you Army also? I was just curious.

Nope, civilian paramedic. Let's do this.

armyyaker 05-16-2011 03:33 PM

Sounds good

Sounds good to me for sure. I will be up there on Saturday as usual. If you all want to meet up at boulder bay there is a little park there I usually put in at. Say around 4pm is as it is usually an evening bite there...:reel:http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/i...ing-smiley.gif

armyyaker 05-16-2011 03:37 PM

Oh yeah

Bring some tube jigs small white ones and red and white ones seemed the best. Didnt even have to put any bait on it just jig and wait for a hit.

YakMedic 05-16-2011 05:05 PM

This weekends no good for me (wedding anniversary) i'll be out of town. The following weekends good though. Sent you a pm with my info.

fishingfool 05-16-2011 05:23 PM

Go to Lake Gregory in Crestline. It is a San Bernardino regional park. There are no power boats on the lake. Just row boats with trolling motors and small sail boats once in a while. It's $10.00 to launch for the day. Everybody there are friendly and no hassles. I work there and we have a lot of fun with our customers. You need to launch at the boathouse. Unload at the boat house and than Park on the street. Be sure to say Hi to me at the boat house.

bus kid 05-16-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfool (Post 83937)
Go to Lake Gregory in Crestline. It is a San Bernardino regional park. There are no power boats on the lake. Just row boats with trolling motors and small sail boats once in a while. It's $10.00 to launch for the day. Everybody there are friendly and no hassles. I work there and we have a lot of fun with our customers. You need to launch at the boathouse. Unload at the boat house and than Park on the street. Be sure to say Hi to me at the boat house.

Does the $10.00 cover parking, or is there a separate fee to fish? We go to prado a few times a year and there are seperate charges for fishing, launching, and entrance to the park.

armyyaker 05-16-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfool (Post 83937)

What kind of fish are there to catch? I have never been but may look into that for sure. Its hard to find good freshwater Kayak friendly fishing places.

fishingfool 05-17-2011 07:46 AM

There is no charge to park. only charges is to launch. There are trout, crappie, bluegill, catfish, and bass. The bass are hard to catch, but are big. I have not weighed anything under 5 lbs. Last Saturday I weighed 3 trout a little over 3lbs each. There is a trout tournament this coming Saturday. The county will be stocking a 1000 lbs of trout for this.

armyyaker 05-17-2011 08:08 AM

Thanks

Hey thanks for the info I may have to check it out I am always looking for new areas to fish. I grew up on lake superior so most of my fishing knowledge is for fresh water species. I will have to stop by there and say hi one of these weekends.