Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trolling for mackerel (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29434)

Ramos23 06-29-2016 04:39 AM

Trolling for mackerel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DDJJ2LMKZfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pingpangdang 06-29-2016 08:25 AM

I caught a beast of a green back a few days ago trolling a big 160G flat fall tipped w/ squid. Measured 15"....it looked like a salami

I still enjoy even making bait...that salami I grilled later w/ rock salt for myself

FullFlavorPike 06-29-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 264297)
I caught a beast of a green back a few days ago trolling a big 160G flat fall tipped w/ squid. Measured 15"....it looked like a salami

I still enjoy even making bait...that salami I grilled later w/ rock salt for myself

Shhhh....don't let the haters hear about you eating mackerel. Many of our local fishermen are too good to eat anything but YT and BFT. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, savage greenbacks will hit a Salas 6x that's nearly as big as they are. If only everything else bit that hard.

Harry Hill 06-29-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 264302)
Shhhh....don't let the haters hear about you eating mackerel. Many of our local fishermen are too good to eat anything but YT and BFT. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, savage greenbacks will hit a Salas 6x that's nearly as big as they are. If only everything else bit that hard.

I keep forgetting it's a sin to mackeral, until after I eat it.

NICKWORN 06-29-2016 11:21 AM

Filipino Wife

My wife and her family always get my left over bait, i even try and grab a few on the way I for them.

pingpangdang 06-29-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 264302)

My wife is Japanese and mackerel is their version of bacon and eggs for breakfast. Maybe that's why they live so long?

Pretty tasty grilled...i dip the meat into my homemade sauce mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, salt pepper and tabasco....of course with rice.

I have some japanese neighbors too that love them....somedays they tell me don't bring home anymore yellowtail but mackerel please

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

AngryTurtle 06-29-2016 05:40 PM

Lots of places Spanish Mackerel is a prime eating fish, but I have always heard about folks going after bigger ones. how big do they have to be to be worthwhile to eat?

Aaron&Julie 06-29-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryTurtle (Post 264321)
Lots of places Spanish Mackerel is a prime eating fish, but I have always heard about folks going after bigger ones. how big do they have to be to be worthwhile to eat?

I won't get into the misnomer too much of the name Spanish Mackerel because I've heard it called that for 45 years, but yeah, the "Spanish" is supposed to be one of the best sashimi going in town or anywhere.

kirkdavis 06-30-2016 05:36 AM

Coming out of the closet

My Taiwanese wife also asks me to bring home the bait. If I don't have anything else to bring home I will troll the sabiki on the way in to get some macks so I don't come home empty handed. It is good fried with soy sauce, and fresh ginger is always good for "fishy" fish. Just like YT and others, they are better if you bleed them out when caught.
There....I feel better now that I have come out of the closet.

sharjak 06-30-2016 08:21 AM

Saba :cool:

pingpangdang 06-30-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryTurtle (Post 264321)

They refer to them as aji in Japan....they actually sell them at the Japanese supermarkets up by convoy street.

They are popular in Japan for their bentos (lunch boxes). They butterfly them and put some type of flaky batter and fry them. Add some of the brown sauce they have and serve w/ rice....it's great.

Also in Japan some sushi go arounds have tanks w/ aji (spanish macks) swimming around.

You tell the chef which one you want he grabs a net and makes sushi before your eyes. They put the sushi on the plate along w/ the head and bones for presentation (the fish is still gulping).

They then take the head and bones to the back and deep fry. They salt it and it's like eating a crispy potato chip head to tail.

They usually serve aji w/ green onions on top w/ ponzu sauce (vinegar soy sauce mixture).

Also at festivals or near the beaches in the summer you'll find them sold on sticks w/ rock salt grilled up right in front of you. If done right you can eat the head and all.

I like them better than greenbacks. They have soft white meat that is not oily or fishy. Just pick away w/ chop sticks (using a fork will get you stressed out w/ the bones).

HAVABASS 06-30-2016 03:41 PM

Mackeral

The slightly larger version...Sierra Mackeral, when bled and fried, is almost like a baby Hoo.

YakDout 06-30-2016 03:52 PM

Sierra mackerel/Spanish mackerel, same fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramos23 07-01-2016 08:16 AM

mackerel

Hi!

I personally like grilled mackerel accompanied with a beautiful Portuguese green wine,

Best regards

FullFlavorPike 07-01-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramos23 (Post 264425)
Hi!

I personally like grilled mackerel accompanied with a beautiful Portuguese green wine,

Best regards

thanks for your video

and vinho verde is great for the table, I agree.

one of the worst parts of not living in europe is the lack of affordable table wine

FullFlavorPike 07-01-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 264377)

They then take the head and bones to the back and deep fry. They salt it and it's like eating a crispy potato chip head to tail.

This is the tastiest shit you can imagine. I can barely enjoy the sashimi because I'm thinking bout dem crispy heads