Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First Yellowtail and First 20+# Fish (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23790)

Viper3173 11-04-2014 09:49 PM

First Yellowtail and First 20+# Fish

1 Attachment(s)
My 4th time out at La Jolla and got lucky! Launched around 5:45, just behind fishnfool. Bait was surprisingly easy to come by, I filled up with an assortment of 12 macs in about 10 mins.

I headed out to open water and threw a greenie out on a flyline and immediately got hit with back to back 5-6# bonito. Since I really wanted a Yellow before the bite is gone this season so I paddled a few hundred yards further, away from the bonito, dropped another mac back and 15 mins or so later, zzzzzzzzz!

The fight was on, and he was a brute. 4 nice long runs and ~10 mins later I landed this beauty. My first yellow and first fish over 20# ever, I am stoked.

It was only 7:55 when I landed it but I was spent and had to get home early so I headed in with my prize. Came in at 29# on my bathroom scale (not sure how accurate that is). If I wasn't hooked on yak fishing before, I definitely am now!

Attachment 13794

Cbad Mike 11-04-2014 10:09 PM

Right on! Congratulations!
:cheers1:

Cadillyak 11-05-2014 05:37 AM

Nice catch!! You catch him on a spanish or greenie?

Deamon 11-05-2014 06:14 AM

Sweet! Seems easy sometimes and sometimes you'll think you're the worst fisherman in the world...nothing better than being towed around. Well earned. Jim

blitzburgh 11-05-2014 06:21 AM

Congrats! :cheers1:

addicted2sp33d 11-05-2014 07:17 AM

:cheers1:

ashmoz 11-05-2014 08:27 AM

sweet fat jello! Congrats :cheers1:

crazywakeboarder 11-05-2014 08:45 AM

I think hooking that first yellow embeds a hook in us as well. Being hooked on kayak fishing. Glad you could share in the feeling!

LBKayakDude 11-05-2014 08:48 AM

Niice fish

jorluivil 11-05-2014 09:10 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z
WAYzTOzGOzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Racksticker 11-05-2014 10:04 AM

Well done on the 1st YT!

It's encouraging to guys like me, who are really *greenies* in kayak fishing, to hear about other new guys being successful. This is my 1st year at it and I have only been out in the bay so far.

Good Job and keep at it!

Viper3173 11-05-2014 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone!

Cadillyak I caught him on a probably about 8" greenie on flyline about 100ft back.

Racksticker I'm glad I could encourage you, the guys on this forum are so helpful and informative it really makes the learning process extra fun.

FISH11 11-05-2014 12:22 PM

Congratulations. Wow only the 4th time at La Jolla, now that's really good. I think I saw you comming in yesterday near the north corner of the kelp. I though you must have had an early launch and great luck to head back that early. Good for you, you missed the crazy 25+mph winds that kicked up after 11am. I didn't have the luck yesterday and called it a day after loosing all the bait to seals and fighting the wind chop. Left around 2pm but I had started late around 7:15 am. Tight Lines

skrilla 11-05-2014 12:25 PM

4th times a charm.

Dannynguyen 11-05-2014 12:26 PM

Congratulations

Congratulations

min-va 11-05-2014 01:54 PM

Congrats!! Nice yellow!

I can see how excited you were, to a point that you needed to repeat your story in one post.. lol

wrxkid 11-05-2014 05:59 PM

Great job man. I am definitely not giving up on LJ. looks like one must take their licks and keep on fishing there.

captnblood34 11-05-2014 06:00 PM

Good going man

fishnfoool 11-05-2014 06:00 PM

congrats patrick. should of stuck with you instead of going out deep. I got picked up around 9, but mr. yellow did not want to stick around and play. Will be back at it on friday.

lbsurf2ca 11-05-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper3173 (Post 210532)
My 4th time out at La Jolla and got lucky! Launched around 5:45, just behind fishnfool. Bait was surprisingly easy to come by, I filled up with an assortment of 12 macs in about 10 mins.

I headed out to open water and threw a greenie out on a flyline and immediately got hit with back to back 5-6# bonito. Since I really wanted a Yellow before the bite is gone this season so I paddled a few hundred yards further, away from the bonito, dropped another mac back and 15 mins or so later, zzzzzzzzz!

The fight was on, and he was a brute. 4 nice long runs and ~10 mins later I landed this beauty. My first yellow and first fish over 20# ever, I am stoked.

It was only 7:55 when I landed it but I was spent and had to get home early so I headed in with my prize. Came in at 29# on my bathroom scale (not sure how accurate that is). If I wasn't hooked on yak fishing before, I definitely am now!

Attachment 13794

Damn look at camel hump on that thing... Nice fish congrats