Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   La Jolla 8-20-2021 on the Solo Skiff. Amazing LJ Day! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36551)

FISH11 08-24-2021 07:18 AM

La Jolla 8-20-2021 on the Solo Skiff. Amazing LJ Day!

Sorry for the late report. Made my way to La Jolla Friday the 20th, like I normally do at least once a week and was hopping for the weather to cooperate in making another attempt to go West in search of paddies and some more exotics, but it was heavy overcast and impossible to spot paddies. Bait was very hard to find and was not going for the Sabiki. After going miles North and then West, I finally made my way back to the La Jolla point area and wanted to try using jigs if the bait did not show up. Went toward sitting birds, like many other areas and found bait and made one. After a few minutes things changed and got crazy. So glad. I finally got to be on the water when one of those days happen in LA JOLLA. Enjoy, sorry the video is still too long. :cheers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_M42PWD68tw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tak100 08-24-2021 08:32 AM

You never know what you are going to see out there.

I was in Dana Point 8/20 and didn't see anything but mackerel and short barracuda. Now I know where they went, lol.

Thanks for the report.

kayakfisherman 08-24-2021 10:12 AM

Wow Mark, great to finally see these jumping tunas!!

FISH11 08-24-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisherman (Post 315237)
Wow Mark, great to finally see these jumping tunas!!

Thank Yanni.

JohnMckroidJr 08-24-2021 10:59 AM

I could feel the anticipation as you were casting at the boils! :jig: Thanks.

kurt 08-24-2021 02:12 PM

That was a crazy day. Like nothing I've ever seen before on the kayak. They were blowing up all around me, fifteen feet from the kayak, but they didn't want the iron I was throwing. The camera footage doesn't do justice to the power and speed of these bluefin.

iethinker 08-24-2021 05:08 PM

Thanks

The blue moon tides have been good! Thanks for the footage!

FISH11 08-24-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 315240)
That was a crazy day. Like nothing I've ever seen before on the kayak. They were blowing up all around me, fifteen feet from the kayak, but they didn't want the iron I was throwing. The camera footage doesn't do justice to the power and speed of these bluefin.

X2 on the camera not doing it justice. It's a GoPro9 and other then dew on the lens the picture is usually really good. The main issue was the overcast and lack of sunshine takes away contrast. It's so much more vivid with your own eyes. At least it's digital proof and you don't have to pinch yourself or think it's just another fishing story. It was so awesome and I hope it happens again.

Pocoloco 08-26-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 315240)

kayak? looks like a skiff report.

kurt 08-26-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

08-24-2021 07:46 PM
I'm on a kayak. I was out there as well.

NICKWORN 08-27-2021 11:25 AM

Can you smell that?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocoloco (Post 315257)

Someone a little jelly?:D:D:D:D

Revoguys 09-03-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 315265)
Someone a little jelly?:D:D:D:D

Haha! Solo skiff, kayak we are all on the same team! Mark great footage man thanks for sharing! Bummer they weren’t biting but to be out there and witness that is awesome! Tight lines brotha and I’ll see ya out there

FISH11 09-03-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revoguys (Post 315358)
Haha! Solo skiff, kayak we are all on the same team! Mark great footage man thanks for sharing! Bummer they weren’t biting but to be out there and witness that is awesome! Tight lines brotha and I’ll see ya out there

See you out there soon, brotha!

Wishnfishn 09-06-2021 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice video. Had similar foamers off san Onofre about a month ago and only had one bite about 30 pounds after what was probably a hundred casts before the dumb one hit. I read from Erik Lansfield from bloody decks that small poppers like the yozuri 5 inch sashimi and Halco poppers are a good thing to try but weigh less than 2 oz so tough to cast far but in kayak you have that stealth to get real close.

FISH11 09-06-2021 09:33 AM

NICE. Congrats and thanks for sharing. The number of Tuna and the number of cast is crazy for the amount of action. Thanks for the tips. I have some smaller jigs and a popper but did not have the smaller stuff ready that day, since I did not expect that Tuna action, that close in. I went back two days latter and last Friday all set with the smaller stuff and it's dead. Bonitos have come in but bait is hard to make and bird action is not happening. That's Fishing!

JohnMckroidJr 09-06-2021 10:10 AM

That's a good-looking fish, congrats and thanks for sharing your tips.
https://i.postimg.cc/hjKdvV2Y/bweBFTe.jpg