Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lu-Ho-Ya 8/20 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29834)

jorluivil 08-21-2016 07:22 AM

Lu-Ho-Ya 8/20

1 Attachment(s)
launched around 5-am. What were ankle slappers turned out to be 1-2 footers as soon as I was ready to paddle through. It never fails, as soon as I launch the largest surf comes through. Anyway, got wet to about my waist/stomach, stopped to setup and continued to past the MPA. I was having some issues with my sonar, it was reading the wrong temp and my GPS would not show the MPA lines so I just pedaled near an area where a PB was already fishing, I knew at that point I was past the MPA. The bait looked like it was there but it was hard to come by, must be because I didn't have a Sabiki 8000, so at least that's what I was told. Anyway, as the morning progresses I make bait here and there, I caught the biggest Spanish mac I've ever seen, I thought it was a greenback when I got it on the boat, it was probably in the 12 inch range. The bait schools were around but my guess is that because the seals were on the chew it caused the bait to keep moving. Its about 9am and I had just finished taking my morning nap when I see a group of kayakers and PB's fishing some deeper water, I get a hold of Greg on the the radio and tell him that I'm headed out a little further. Since the dogs were on the chew I was going to pick up my lines and pedal my way out but I decided to take a chance and drop a bait down. About 5 minutes into my trek I see some solid red wiggly lines at the bottom, I'm watching my screen, watching the rod tip.........tap, tap-tap-tap, bump, tap, bump-bump-tappy-tap and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. The fish took a few nice runs but the new Avet performed just like it supposed to. Fish was up and game clipped within 5minutes.

Ended the day with the one fish (21.2lbs). The landing was pretty eventful but the sights at the launch weren't.

iethinker 08-21-2016 07:55 AM

Good Catch.

Good catch on the bait and the YT. It was weird out there yesterday in that bait was boiling but it was not necessarily biting. I caught a few Spanish on sabiki and one GBM on kastmaster. I was not as fortunate however with the YT bite. Instead, I switched to swimbaits further inshore by high-tide.

kirkdavis 08-21-2016 08:05 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...bd7328f2ba.jpgCongrats! Yours is the only YT I saw caught. I had a hard time making bait too so I started dragging plastic and caught my biggest ever calico...19". Also caught 4 small bonito at once on my sabiki. That was a battle on my small fw rig! Then caught 2 small wsb. They slam the bait hard, can't wait to catch a keeper. Talked to another talker that had caught 4 small wsb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YakDout 08-21-2016 09:12 AM

Thanks for the report. I had the same problem with sonar once. Called lowrance and they sent me a new transducer without me sending the old one in. They said what happens is water penetrates the outside plastic and gets inside of the transducer and it messes up the temp reading. Mine would default to 32 degrees. Not sure if that is what yours did. Worth calling them though.

jorluivil 08-21-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 267707)
Thanks for the report. I had the same problem with sonar once. Called lowrance and they sent me a new transducer without me sending the old one in. They said what happens is water penetrates the outside plastic and gets inside of the transducer and it messes up the temp reading. Mine would default to 32 degrees. Not sure if that is what yours did. Worth calling them though.

Thanks for the advice, I got it at westmarine, I'll call them tomorrow. At one point I was in 120 feet and it was reading 800 feet.

LSmoot 08-21-2016 02:22 PM

Nice YT! Thanks for the report.

Steve Max 08-21-2016 02:41 PM

Great catch. Hoping to do the same tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maquinapescado 08-21-2016 05:02 PM

I caught two good greenies the other night and after that all I could get was big sardine size greenies. Some nice guy, who's name will remain anonymous, gave me a couple huge Spanish. I was gonna save them for sashimi but thought I would turn them in for something bigger.

FISH11 08-21-2016 07:41 PM

Congrats Jorge. I haven't been out in a couple week due to wind at times and spending time rigging up y new travel trailer. Glad to see some fish being caught and plan on going out to LJ on Tuesday. Thanks for the report.

Silbaugh4liberty 08-22-2016 05:42 AM

Nice job! Glad your trip down south panned out!!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sully1 08-22-2016 01:21 PM

Waking up and getting out there early paid off big for you. Nice one!