Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PB halibut for Vets Day (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27611)

YakDout 11-11-2015 01:36 PM

PB halibut for Vets Day

1 Attachment(s)
It was up in the air last night whether Mike and I were going to get out today or not due to wind/weather. Made the call late last night, let's go. Met at dana landing around 6AM. Perfect weather on arrival. Head over to the barge and they only have chovies. Damn! Oh well took them anyways. Went out through the channel and down southwest a ways to the kelp area. Lots of lobster pots around. I have a Carolina rigged up with 4oz on 25lb. Found an area around 9am that was holding some nice calicos. After fishing for a while I looked up and noticed I'm in over 100' of water and drifting south fast. That wasn't good because I knew the wind would come up between 11-noon. Came back in to 55 feet of water slightly southwest of OB pier. Pin on a fresh anchovie send it to the bottom and a couple minutes go by and I get bit. This area had lots of bass around so as I'm reeling it up that was my first thought. That's until it starts making a couple drag pulls against my lexa 400. I though I better check the drag so I pull out a little line and drag is pretty damn tight. Ok this must be a better fish than I thought. Get it to color and see it's a halibut. Grab the gaff and get it right below the gills.
This is the biggest halibut at gaff that I've ever had and I know they can go crazy once stuck, and this was no exception. I must have hit this thing with the back of my gaff close to 100 times. I'd get ready to pull it up on deck and it would go crazy every time. Then I start cutting the gills with my knife thinking ok this thing has to be ready but it would go off again. I then start braining it with needle nose pliers and my knife. It took some serious time to kill this thing and I have a new respect for people who land big halibut on the kayak. To be honest this thing almost flipped me a couple times on my outback and it's not even close to as big as some of the fish I've seen guys land on kayak. It's about 11am and the wind starts blowing about 20 so we head in and fight the wind and the channel all the way back. Pretty sore, but worth it. I need to stop being so selfish and start targeting halibut more since it's my fiancé's favorite fish to eat.

38" and 23lbs.

fishja 11-11-2015 01:41 PM

Nice fish! Thanks for the report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geno Machino 11-11-2015 01:41 PM

Sweet Meat!!!

Excellent eats and thanks for the report!!

Nice Work!

Geno

Mike scales 11-11-2015 01:53 PM

My legs are feeling a little soar, glad I brought my sail, it definitely helped. You know it's rough when you see Vessel Assist exiting the jetty repeatedly and dragging private boaters back. Haha!
This pic doesn't do your fish justice, it's was a beast! I'll be back on a less windy day to get mine! Haha
Good times bro!:cheers1:

Dirty Curti 11-11-2015 02:04 PM

Nice fish, nice report. I love halibut. It is one of my favorites as well. Might be time to change focus to the flatties.

ful-rac 11-11-2015 02:15 PM

New Respect?

Oh you mean like these guys?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...pssf1b5wiw.jpg

Dannowar 11-11-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 247207)

What an epic bite that was

got2fishsd 11-11-2015 03:55 PM

Try to gaff them in the stomach. They go kind of limo then you can get your game clip in through the gills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deamon 11-11-2015 04:05 PM

What a beautifully colored fish and nice pic. Big congrats!

Jim

YakDout 11-11-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 247217)
What a beautifully colored fish and nice pic. Big congrats!

Jim

Thanks man, I know you slay the halibut. I typically don't target them especially when the yellows are around. Need to start targeting them more.

summers in kuwait 11-11-2015 04:45 PM

Beautiful fish and great write up.
Congrats!

taggermike 11-11-2015 05:21 PM

Great catch. Halis are freakishly strong and explosive. And bleeding, braining, and clubbing them doesn't slow them down some times. Like got2fishsd said, gaff halis right in the gut. Keep up the good work. Mike

Harry Hill 11-11-2015 06:02 PM

that must have been something to see from the pier, a guy in a kayak beating the snot out of a fish with a pair of pliers. That may end up on TV somewhere.

JeffB 11-11-2015 06:19 PM

Nice Hali!

Phishphood 11-11-2015 07:00 PM

Nice report and nice fish.

Mike- you headed in through the channel around noon in a green hobie?

2-Stix 11-11-2015 07:41 PM

killing it! no pun intended.

Mike scales 11-11-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 247232)
Nice report and nice fish.

Mike- you headed in through the channel around noon in a green hobie?

If you saw my sail up, that was me indeed.

YakDout 11-12-2015 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 247226)
that must have been something to see from the pier, a guy in a kayak beating the snot out of a fish with a pair of pliers. That may end up on TV somewhere.

The beating came from the gaff, the pliers went through the dome.

Harry Hill 11-12-2015 06:45 AM

Dumb question here, what does PB mean?

iethinker 11-12-2015 06:47 AM

PB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 247249)
Dumb question here, what does PB mean?

Personal Best