Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Monday 09/29 Newport Shores run in with a Hammerhead shark (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23486)

octico 09-30-2014 10:48 AM

Monday 09/29 Newport Shores run in with a Hammerhead shark

Arvil and I decided to do some rock fishing out of Newport usual depth 180-200. We were suppose to start of early but someone overslept so we did not get out into the deep until 9:30AM. Right away we start marking fish at 160 so we drop lines and I picked up a legal Sandie and a couple of tiny reds.

We got out into deeper water and things were slow, we are not marking anything so I told Arvil I will go south and tell if you I spot something. I mark some fish and drop my line waiting for a fish to bite. A few seconds later I see this big brown thing come right underneath my line. I am WTF, was that at a ... sure as shiat it was Hammerhed. At first I nervous, but not too scared, until he bumped my yak. I circled my yak a few times, and I was like cool, now go away. So he makes a last turn heads out behind me (I am watching him all the way), and I am like woo finally its gone. Just then he makes a u-turn and makes a beeline towards me only this time he is picking up speed. Just before he gets to me he dives under the bumps the rear of my yak, nothing that would make my yak flip but a bump is more than enough for me I want to get me the F out of here.

At this point I am getting a little worried so I start thinking strength in numbers, so I start heading towards Arvi and he has a GoPro. I start yelling at him there is a shark on me, he is like what? I said a SHARK. Filming begins. After that we did not want to bring fish up just to feed the shark. He circled us for a long time. At one point he made an attempt to bite Arvil's mirage drive but it his head was in the way.

We waited and waited he would not leave. It must have been an hour I tried to spook him by smacking the water as he passed up but he would not leave. Finally we decided to head in to see if he would leave us alone, but he didn't he followed us almost to the buoy. We tried going back out but it was too windy and sloppy. He looked big on the water, but after looking at the pics he was about 8-9 feet long. Hopefully Arvil will post the video.

Fish count = 2 Sand Bass 2 RockFish

The image below is Arvil's it does not do the size of the shark justice, maybe water refraction that makes it look smaller :)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...tico/Shark.png

walrus 09-30-2014 10:55 AM

Viral picture, it's that good! Good story too!

wiredantz 09-30-2014 10:58 AM

GAFF IT!!!!!!!!!!!! and go for a long slay ride, then let the corpse rot and rub under your kayak to deter future sharks!*

I just don't know what hammerhead taste like, or I would tie a noose and drag it backwards.

makobob 09-30-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 207792)
GAFF IT!!!!!!!!!!!! and go for a long slay ride, then let the corpse rot and rub under your kayak to deter future sharks!*

I just don't know what hammerhead taste like, or I would tie a noose and drag it backwards.

AND you think Tony has balls, that hammer head could tow you to hell and back and still have the strength to EAT you. BWT they do not taste good.

FishRaiden 09-30-2014 12:09 PM

I still believe our fish finders made him stick around due to the sonar off the transducer.

As pictured, he would always come up to my right side where my transducer hangs off.

Lets go do it again!

chris138 09-30-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 207789)
The image below is Arvil's it does not do the size of the shark justice, maybe water refraction that makes it look smaller :)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...tico/Shark.png

It's the fish-eye lens on the go pro... it makes things look much smaller as they get further away. That's a big shark, looks to be about 6-7 footer. Next time stick your gopro (and arm) in the water with her!!(:

octico 09-30-2014 12:14 PM

Yeah for sure ... looked up the stats on human vs hammer heads. We are good.

FISH11 09-30-2014 08:05 PM

No doubt he could smell the rock fish that's in front of the mirage drive and spreading it's juices and odor through the mirage drive opening in the hull. That is why he tried to bite the fins. Cool picture hope you put the video up.

crazywakeboarder 10-01-2014 12:45 AM

I think a spear gaff would come in handy for deterring sharks

octico 10-01-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 207841)
No doubt he could smell the rock fish that's in front of the mirage drive and spreading it's juices and odor through the mirage drive opening in the hull. That is why he tried to bite the fins. Cool picture hope you put the video up.

Video is up

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23494

wiredantz 10-01-2014 07:01 AM

all you needed was a picture of Candy

Vikingj 10-01-2014 10:10 AM

Great pic! Have you considered sending it to OC Register? They had an article this week on Hammerheads being reported but no action shots like yours.

octico 10-01-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingj (Post 207868)
Great pic! Have you considered sending it to OC Register? They had an article this week on Hammerheads being reported but no action shots like yours.

OC Register did not respond but it will be on ABC News 7 at 6PM tonight!

bwana 10-01-2014 01:46 PM

ABC is going to have to bleep out your colorful kayak language.

I think you owe Arvil a case of his favorite beer for "sharing" the shark with him.

My friends would have been throwing cut bait at me if I did the same thing.

octico 10-01-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwana (Post 207889)
ABC is going to have to bleep out your colorful kayak language.

I think you owe Arvil a case of his favorite beer for "sharing" the shark with him.

My friends would have been throwing cut bait at me if I did the same thing.

Every time I offer him a beer he refuses ...

ful-rac 10-01-2014 02:19 PM

Oh great now another reason for the environmentalists to freak out about global warming....

I can see it now...

Expert: Yes due to our radically changing climate, and loss of our ozone layer and polar icecaps, we now have certain species that we did not have before. This is clear evidence of mans negative impact on the planet, and clear evidence of global warming. :rolleyes:

octico 10-01-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 207891)
Oh great now another reason for the environmentalists to freak out about global warming....

I can see it now...

Expert: Yes due to our radically changing climate, and loss of our ozone layer and polar icecaps, we now have certain species that we did not have before. This is clear evidence of mans negative impact on the planet, and clear evidence of global warming. :rolleyes:

Let's wait and watch before we rush to judgement.

Ramos23 10-02-2014 09:06 AM

Great pic!

Dannowar 10-02-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder (Post 207851)
I think a spear gaff would come in handy for deterring sharks

If you came into my house and dangled a steak in front of my face then stabbed me I probably wouldn't be too stoked and I would think you were a dick

DanaPT 10-02-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 207942)
If you came into my house and dangled a steak in front of my face then stabbed me I probably wouldn't be too stoked and I would think you were a dick

x2