Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Water Temp for Threshers (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=4114)

aussiescott 11-05-2008 08:57 PM

Water Temp for Threshers

Hi guys, Threshers are not normally a yak fishing target here in Australia. I have heard rumors that they are available off the coast from me. I have previously yak fished for the odd blue shark and seven giller and are wondering what is the ideal temperature range for threshers? I plan to troll small live squid, mackerel and also some CD rapalas.

Thanks Scott

Handymansd 11-06-2008 08:07 AM

I am unsure of the ideal temp, but we catch them here between 60 and 70ish

Zed 11-06-2008 08:56 AM

That's 15-21C. :doh:

I like dirtyish green water on the slack high tide.

aussiescott 11-06-2008 12:10 PM

Thanks heaps for the info guys. Those temps will be approaching in the next month or two and will coincide with the annual aero squid invasion so I may be in with a chance. If I have any love I will make sure I post up a report.

Scott

dorado50 11-06-2008 12:32 PM

I know I will be waiting in antisipation of your post showing the pics of another dead shark! Congrats in advance...:cheers1:

Iceman 11-06-2008 02:24 PM

...................never mind.:reeling::yt:

Siebler 11-06-2008 03:19 PM

Ahh common' Iceman I thought this was going to be fun....

aussiescott 11-06-2008 04:19 PM

I am actually C&R on nearly all of my sharks mate apart from the odd rat for the table. I was sickened by too many years powerboat comp gamefishing where the boats I fished on would kill all sharks and tag all marlin and tuna.

Scott

bajadog 11-06-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiescott (Post 30729)
I am actually C&R on nearly all of my sharks mate apart from the odd rat for the table. I was sickened by too many years powerboat comp gamefishing where the boats I fished on would kill all sharks and tag all marlin and tuna.
Scott

:cheers1:

aussiescott 11-06-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajadog (Post 30732)
:cheers1:

Mate I have not killed a stick fish for years. The only marlin we get here are stripes. I have moved considerably further south than i used to live. Since you guys have got me on the defensive I will tell you that I have only ever personally killed two marlin from over a dozen landed. Both of these fish were on live baits before circle hooks became popular.

Scott

steveooo 11-06-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiescott (Post 30734)
Mate I have not killed a stick fish for years. The only marlin we get here are stripes. I have moved considerably further south than i used to live. Since you guys have got me on the defensive I will tell you that I have only ever personally killed two marlin from over a dozen landed. Both of these fish were on live baits before circle hooks became popular.

Scott

Scott,
Welcome to the board. Aside from being a misfit group of fisherman, we're all harmless. For the most part, it's a pretty good group of guys here that like fishing in the ocean, not on the internet. There are a few tools on the board (asshats and douche-nozzles too), don't worry about 'em. I look forward to seeing a report from waaaay south, no need to be on the defensive. Until then, welcome to the board and- Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

Dan 11-06-2008 08:50 PM

Good luck with the Threshers. They are a trip from a kayak.

Handymansd 11-07-2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveooo (Post 30736)
Scott,
Welcome to the board. Aside from being a misfit group of fisherman, we're all harmless. For the most part, it's a pretty good group of guys here that like fishing in the ocean, not on the internet. There are a few tools on the board (asshats and douche-nozzles too), don't worry about 'em. I look forward to seeing a report from waaaay south, no need to be on the defensive. Until then, welcome to the board and- Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

Well said.I would love to hear how you do, as would alot of others here!

Iceman 11-07-2008 06:58 AM

Bingo! Welcome to the board, love the reports from distant waters.

aussiescott 11-07-2008 01:47 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Hopefully I will be able to do something clever enough to post a report on here.

Scott

mwm 11-07-2008 07:49 PM

Scott, you're not kidding being considerably South. Do you get any of the huge yellowtail in South Tasmania? My wife and I had one of the best times of our lives in Australia mainly because of the folks we met. Looking forward to hearing and sharing fishing experiences from across the seas. Cheers Mate!