Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Weather? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=2871)

Tailwhipped 01-24-2008 03:25 PM

Weather?

I was told the wind will be up this weekend. I checked the report on iwindsurf.com are they usually spot on? Thank you for your help!

madscientist 01-24-2008 03:57 PM

Marine forecast for this weekend:

Fri Night
Wind E 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 4 to 5 ft at 14 seconds and S 3 ft at 8 seconds. Slight chance of showers.

<table class="full boxB" id="fctTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="rowW" onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"><td class="sortC">Sat
Wind E 10 kt...becoming se 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less...becoming 3 ft in the afternoon. Mixed swell W 4 to 5 ft and S 3 ft. Slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of rain in the afternoon.
</td> </tr> <tr class="rowW" onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"> <td class="sortC"> Sat Night
Wind se 15 to 25 kt...becoming S 20 to 30 kt after midnight. Gusts to 35 kt. Wind waves 4 ft. Mixed swell W 4 to 5 ft and S 3 ft. Rain.
</td> </tr> <tr class="rowW" onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"> <td class="sortC"> Sun
Wind SW 10 to 15 kt...becoming 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less...becoming 3 ft in the afternoon. Mixed swell W 3 to 4 ft and S 3 ft. Showers likely.
</td> </tr> <tr class="rowY" onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"> <td class="sortC"> Sun Night
Wind SW 15 to 20 kt...becoming W after midnight. Wind waves 3 ft in the evening...becoming 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 3 to 4 ft and S 2 ft. Showers likely in the evening... then chance of showers after midnight.

That's about as ugly as it gets. But you never know, LJ can be calm when it's blowing everywhere else. Regardless, I'll be organizing my garage the weekend.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Tailwhipped 01-24-2008 06:52 PM

Thanks! As you said you never know. I think I will press my luck. wouldn't be the first time I turned for the barn.

jscott 01-25-2008 01:12 PM

:idea: Any way we can get a Flag of some sort in the view of the webcam?

Would be easier to tell the wind direction and 'ferocity' than trying to look at wind effect on the surf. It looks nice out there right now!!
:)

wavster 01-25-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscott (Post 19959)
:idea: Anyway we can get a Flag of some sort in the view of the webcam?

Look on the home page of the BWE site (this site). There's a link to wind and
weather. You can find out what the wind's doing now and what it's done for the
past 24 hours (or longer, I think).

Tailwhipped 01-25-2008 02:39 PM

Jason, that is a great idea. I checked the weather/wind forcast site and it shows Scripps to be blowing at 17. Checked the web cam and it looks great.:hmmmm2: Wavster, thanks I have been glued to the weather for the last two day. Hope to see a few of you out in the am.

Dennis 01-25-2008 03:24 PM

Just remember that when you clear the shelter of the buildings, wind obstructions and shoreline... being out on the water could be a different story. You'll actually feel that 17mph gust and depending on the direction could make for a tough paddle home. Before I leave my house, I always check the torrey glider wind report. It saves me the drive sometimes.

Jim Sammons LJKF 01-25-2008 03:39 PM

It can be dead calm at the launch and as soon as you round the point you get slammed by the wind.

madscientist 01-25-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohloe1 (Post 19966)
Just remember that when you clear the shelter of the buildings, wind obstructions and shoreline... being out on the water could be a different story. You'll actually feel that 17mph gust and depending on the direction could make for a tough paddle home. Before I leave my house, I always check the torrey glider wind report. It saves me the drive sometimes.

Too true. If it's 15+ I usually go back to bed. No bueno.

Dennis 01-25-2008 10:02 PM

I often wonder where iwindsurf get their report. I used to alway go by iwindsurf. I'd drive to the launch expecting light texture on the water, and it would be blown out. So, I always use the TP glider port. Like right now (1100pm) iwindsurf 2mph, TP glider port 13mph.

madscientist 01-25-2008 10:16 PM

I agree Dennis. Iwindsurf sucks. Their sensor must be on the point somewhere blocked by land. Gliderpoint is almost always right on.

12-14 76 right now. Ugh. At least you won't need to paddle in the morning to get out.:cool:

Tailwhipped 01-26-2008 08:32 AM

Thanks for looking out guys. I never even got up to check the weather this morning. I'm more than a few miles from the launch, so your advice not only saved me some bucks, but it may have saved my upper body as well.
It must be nice to look out the window or make a quick run to the point to check things out. I envy you. I have been landlocked for a few weeks now and I'm chomping at the bit. Looks like the end of the week or next weekend for me. Thanks again and good luck to all.

Iceman 01-26-2008 12:59 PM

I was hell bent to go fishing, so I made the trek down at 4 AM. It felt like 10-12 kts all morning, not ideal, but definitely fishable ....at least I brought home lobster bait.:evil:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...500/1-26yt.jpg

Tailwhipped 01-26-2008 01:58 PM

NO LOVE ANDY!:evil: Nice bait!!! Go job on the yellow. Next time I will listen to my gut. WTG:)

Dennis 01-26-2008 02:07 PM

LOL! F'n Andy. Good Job! So, I take it the squirts are gone?

Holy Mackerel 01-26-2008 02:30 PM

Señor La Jolla! :yt: Way to pull out the "lobster bait" on the eve of the perfect storm!

chris

steveooo 01-26-2008 02:52 PM

Holy yellowtail batman!!!!:yt:

Matt 01-26-2008 04:50 PM

bait

Bait is starting to look better and better all the time!!!:cheers1:

Dan 01-26-2008 07:26 PM

I smelled the smoke on the water from Carlsbad, was that a cohiba or a swisher plastic tip? nice yellow Andy

lamb 01-26-2008 10:26 PM

I don't beleive it. :D

Without a story, I call old picture... :the_finger: