Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Thule rack (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29670)

makobob 07-28-2016 03:01 PM

Thule rack

BAJA TESTED, FAILED Thule Truck Rack. Three years old, tired, busted almost uesless. ABUSED, OVERLOADED, FAILED.

But to be fair it stood up well until it went off road in BAJA carying the weight of 3 yaks. Not designed for over 500 lbs, swaying down Baja dirt roads. I just asked too much from it.

So I an considering the Harbor Frieght 800lb Rack. Being a bolt together it should repairable, weldable, and stronger in the joints. Any input would be appreciated. Any rack is ok on our streets but Baja is different. A pot hole at 55-60 with a loaded rack is tempting fate. stronger is better. Thanks guy's.

Dannowar 07-28-2016 03:06 PM

Have you considered a trailer?

makobob 07-28-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 266331)
Have you considered a trailer?

No place to store it Danno.

kirkdavis 07-28-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 266332)

Just curious, how do you store the yaks? I've been thinking of a trailer that telescopes or folds when not in use. Then you could stand it up against the wall or something. I have room at home, but parking at places like LJ is hard with a trailer.

PescadorPete 07-28-2016 04:36 PM

Bob, the Thule racks are a cheapo shameless rip-off of the design of the original Trac-Racs. Have a look at the Trac-Racs. Mucho beefy and I have never had a problem with them over many 4x4 roads. ~~~Pete~~~

east county dirtbag 07-28-2016 04:40 PM

To me they've always looked light duty. I'd go with the steel, harbor frigate version.

YakDout 07-28-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PescadorPete (Post 266338)
Bob, the Thule racks are a cheapo shameless rip-off of the design of the original Trac-Racs. Have a look at the Trac-Racs. Mucho beefy and I have never had a problem with them over many 4x4 roads. ~~~Pete~~~

I second the trac-racs from home depot. The down bars are angled out displacing weight out on the bottom where its solid, but not on the top. Less sway definitely. Could always get a snugtop with racks on it. I just picked up a used one in great condition for around $800 in LA, color matched to my white gmc sierra. I like being able to lock up the bed on the way down and dont have to worry about stuff blowing out on the highway!

makobob 07-28-2016 06:06 PM

Very true, downside is being stopped to look inside at every checkpoint. GOOD SCORE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 266346)
I second the trac-racs from home depot. The down bars are angled out displacing weight out on the bottom where its solid, but not on the top. Less sway definitely. Could always get a snugtop with racks on it. I just picked up a used one in great condition for around $800 in LA, color matched to my white gmc sierra. I like being able to lock up the bed on the way down and dont have to worry about stuff blowing out on the highway!

YakDout 07-28-2016 06:09 PM

Very true bob, so far its been a quick open, peek and on my way.

PescadorPete 07-28-2016 09:49 PM

Trac-Racs are NOT light duty, speaking from my personal experience. Heavy duty aluminum and stainless steel hardware, no steel corrosion from the salt water. Of course, your mileage may vary.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...MG_0467_sm.jpg

makobob 07-29-2016 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone, your input has helped mucho. And the winner is????? Will make my mind up this weekend as I will look at each in person, leaning toward the Trac one, 800 lb limit and way better built then the old Thule, seems better engineered too., it is reinfrced in the areas that the old one failed. Again thank you all for your comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PescadorPete (Post 266358)
Trac-Racs are NOT light duty, speaking from my personal experience. Heavy duty aluminum and stainless steel hardware, no steel corrosion from the salt water. Of course, your mileage may vary.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...MG_0467_sm.jpg

octico 07-29-2016 11:48 AM

I loved my TraRac, the rack is SOLID.

makobob 07-29-2016 01:28 PM

BUT will it carry two PA 14's on top with an Outback on a sling below??? That is what I will be asking of it, then going off road in Baja. The Thule did, but not for long. The Tracone looks like it will carry that load well. I am sure this saga will continue, Asuncion and Mag Bay trips are coming up. Tight Lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 266395)
I loved my TraRac, the rack is SOLID.

Sivak 10-18-2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 266403)
BUT will it carry two PA 14's on top with an Outback on a sling below??? That is what I will be asking of it, then going off road in Baja. The Thule did, but not for long. The Tracone looks like it will carry that load well. I am sure this saga will continue, Asuncion and Mag Bay trips are coming up. Tight Lines.

Bob which rack did you end up getting?

makobob 10-18-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivak (Post 270784)
Bob which rack did you end up getting?

Trac rac from home depot 800 pound capacity, Also told them I was a medically retired vietnam vet, got it out the door for under $300.00 so I was a very happy camper. You can see it next week. See you in Gonzaga. Tight Lines.

Harry Hill 10-18-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 266332)

harbor freight has a fold up trailier