Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mako Shark Attacks Kayak Video (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26365)

cptredbeard 07-26-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyak13 (Post 235193)
Next time you do something so stupid save us all from watching it and don't post it, ridiculous that with all the rare and different species of game fish to be caught at Lj right now and yoU kill a mako? Glad i don't have your karma or the lack of brain cells

Saved and/or ate every piece of our catch. Please refer any hateful comments to CA fish and game that says that is 100% legal. :) Never had mako huh?

cptredbeard 07-26-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy V (Post 235183)
Considering the epic Bluefin/Yellowfin/Yellowtail fishing going on right now within La Jolla Shores launch range .... gaffing a Mako is lame.

-I don't usually flame people about their catch, but you guys got a lot to learn about fishing La Jolla.

Not gonna lie to you I do need to learn a lot about fishing La Jolla. However, who are you to tell me I can't or shouldn't take a legal fish though? We didn't waste any of that beautiful animal and it was the fight of a lifetime for us. I love the ocean and would never do anything that I/ or science for that matter, would consider harmful to its inhabitants.

Sir LJ 07-26-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy V (Post 235183)
Considering the epic Bluefin/Yellowfin/Yellowtail fishing going on right now within La Jolla Shores launch range .... gaffing a Mako is lame.

-I don't usually flame people about their catch, but you guys got a lot to learn about fishing La Jolla.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyak13 (Post 235193)
Next time you do something so stupid save us all from watching it and don't post it, ridiculous that with all the rare and different species of game fish to be caught at Lj right now and yoU kill a mako? Glad i don't have your karma or the lack of brain cells

Not cool guys. U can't force your opinions on other people

Zed 07-26-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptredbeard (Post 235222)
Not gonna lie to you I do need to learn a lot about fishing La Jolla. However, who are you to tell me I can't or shouldn't take a legal fish though? We didn't waste any of that beautiful animal and it was the fight of a lifetime for us. I love the ocean and would never do anything that I/ or science for that matter, would consider harmful to its inhabitants.

IMO Those posts were a little out of line but the point I think is, 99% of experienced kayakers would not gaff a mako of any size from a yak. Too many bad outcomes. You guys did it, dispatched it and have all 20 toes and 20 fingers. Just dont spread the message its commonplace to do. Or even easy.

Congrats though and enjoy it!

Daiwadude 07-26-2015 07:31 PM

If ya'll have any complaints, go cry to the DFG and your momma!!

cell128 07-26-2015 07:32 PM

Got a mako last year from a boat.... Beautiful fish... Good eating too... I myself though would not want anything to do with them on the kayak. If they can outswim a boat and jump 10 feet out of the water with those teeth.... No thanks :eek:

Zed 07-26-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daiwadude (Post 235227)
If ya'll have any complaints, go cry to the DFG and your momma!!

Thank you for your understanding.

TNT 07-26-2015 09:00 PM

F*** the haters good job man

ironcross6921 07-26-2015 09:29 PM

:luxhello::you_rock:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToroBravo (Post 235206)
/\
How about just hitting the STOP button.
Nobody made you watch foo.
Go easy dude...
I'm a newbie too.

cptredbeard 07-26-2015 10:41 PM

Zed I understand and appreciate your comments. IMO it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm very happy we were able to land it safely.

LBKayakDude 07-27-2015 01:07 PM

I think some people watch too many shows on discovery channel about shark finning and what not. I dunno why people get their panties all in a bunch over keeping a shark. They're great eating just like alot of other species of fish. We're not going out in masses and killing every shark we can find. Where is the reasoning to talk shit? I can't find any. I got two threshers this year. Does that make me an asshole? I don't think so. Nice job on that mako, and from a kayak! Very awesome! 👍👍

dillpick 07-27-2015 02:49 PM

Great catch austin, let the haters hate, that is some great fish.my names Dillon im the one u met today out there with my buddy that was sick. Thanks for sharing bait man that girl went 22lbs 38 inches, i was super stoked. peace :you_rock:

HBOUND808 07-27-2015 03:26 PM

The Taxman ain't happy. Have fun.

supaboy1981 07-27-2015 05:23 PM

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...318719861.html looks like you guys made the news!!

And if you serving your fresh catch in your Oceanside location then please let me know, lol.

ful-rac 07-27-2015 05:36 PM

Oh going commercial now are we.....:D

jorluivil 07-27-2015 08:31 PM

Representatives from the department of Fish and Wildlife were at the landing. The 5-foot-long mako easily outran the 60-pound scale that was available so they estimated the fish to weigh around 100 pounds. The 31-year-old Lorber has been fishing since he was a child, but this experience was something he’ll never forget.

Is there a possibility that the fish weighed 62lbs?

Silbaugh4liberty 07-27-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBKayakDude (Post 235303)
I think some people watch too many shows on discovery channel about shark finning and what not. I dunno why people get their panties all in a bunch over keeping a shark. They're great eating just like alot of other species of fish. We're not going out in masses and killing every shark we can find. Where is the reasoning to talk shit? I can't find any. I got two threshers this year. Does that make me an asshole? I don't think so. Nice job on that mako, and from a kayak! Very awesome! 👍👍

You're such an asshole Joe, lmao! You know I'm kidding. Thresher steaks and homemade brew!!?? I say party at your house! ;)

cptredbeard 07-27-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillpick (Post 235314)
Great catch austin, let the haters hate, that is some great fish.my names Dillon im the one u met today out there with my buddy that was sick. Thanks for sharing bait man that girl went 22lbs 38 inches, i was super stoked. peace :you_rock:

Good meeting you brotha!

cptredbeard 07-27-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 235356)
Oh going commercial now are we.....:D

Lol. I wish. Talked to fish and game about possibility of selling sportfishing catch at my restaurants. I thought it was impossible/very expensive but she assured me it was not only possible but affordable. Looking into it.

h2ofishfo 07-28-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 235224)
IMO Those posts were a little out of line but the point I think is, 99% of experienced kayakers would not gaff a mako of any size from a yak. Too many bad outcomes. You guys did it, dispatched it and have all 20 toes and 20 fingers. Just dont spread the message its commonplace to do. Or even easy.

Congrats though and enjoy it!

Hmmmm im experienced and I've done it ? As long as you have a game plan it's all good . How do you get experienced in such matters unless you try them ? I'm definitely not Hollywood about catches but to each their own