Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Monday 3/16 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24924)

rossman 03-17-2015 06:25 AM

Monday 3/16

2 Attachment(s)
I got out twice over the week end only to be blown off by 9 am We were having a Santa Ana wind event here much like you were having up there, which resulted in my first 2 skunks on the yellows since I've been here. I decided to hit it again on Monday as the wind laid down nicely overnight. Monday morning was one of those perfect days. Greasy calm and warm. Decided to drive over to San Roque to launch where I caught a 34+ pounder on the previous Monday. Launched at about 6:30 and paddled to the waypoint where I scored last Monday, about a mile and a half. Landed on my waypoint and started throwing my blue and white Salsa and on about the 6th cast stuck this beauty. It is a new personal best for me coming in at 50 inches at the fork and weighing 47.8 lbs, including the game clip. It was quite a fight and it totally kicked my butt. He attacked my jig about mid column in about 110 ft of water but made a good run to a rocky high spot not far away in 75 ft of water. My job became to just keep him off the bottom if possible. There was one point where I felt him wrapped on something on the bottom but I gave him a little slack line and he swam out of it. I was not planning on keeping anything today as my freezer is still pretty well stocked from last Monday. When I saw him at deep color he looked massive and I checked my sonar and he was still at 25 feet. That's when I got my gaff at the ready. One of the local pangas was driving by and stopped to watch the last 5 minutes of the fight and when I stuck him they really whooped it up, even more than I did. "Grande Grande!" I took a couple pictures and tried to get a measurement on it and tried to give it to the pangeros but they were going to be out all day and could not keep something that size fresh on a hot day. Glad they didn't because my OTW shots sucked.

Here's a couple on shore shots.

Attachment 14914

Attachment 14913

momo fish 03-17-2015 06:30 AM

Dam.. Great catch Rossman!

makobob 03-17-2015 06:44 AM

Ross loves San Roque it has been very good to him. It is his personal Jewel.

Dennis 03-17-2015 07:01 AM

Beast of a fish!

kurt 03-17-2015 07:14 AM

BIIIIGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

HBOUND808 03-17-2015 07:19 AM

FATTY!!!!

Bert Vega 03-17-2015 07:27 AM

:luxhello::notworthy: !!!!!

Wow is all I can say. That is a monster.

ful-rac 03-17-2015 07:51 AM

Nice catch rossman!!! :luxhello:

jruiz 03-17-2015 07:53 AM

Less than three weeks and your freezer is already full?:notworthy:

blitzburgh 03-17-2015 08:16 AM

Living the dream...you the man :cheers1:

Chuck D 03-17-2015 09:27 AM

BEAST!!!! Great job!

buddha 03-17-2015 09:45 AM

Beautiful. Love San Roque. Have you tried the other areas down there but San Roque is the best so far?

Those blue salas are the ticket. No scrambled egg yellows for you?

rossman 03-17-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 222158)
Beautiful. Love San Roque. Have you tried the other areas down there but San Roque is the best so far?

Those blue salas are the ticket. No scrambled egg yellows for you?

The area out in front of me has been outrageous for calicos and I have caught quite a few yellows out there but nothing quality. There is just so much structure out there but I haven't found the real deep water close to a reef which is always a good starting point for yellows. That area is also where I had my altercation with the Sea lion so have given it a wide berth since then. There is no education in the second kick from the mule

theluckypig 03-17-2015 10:12 AM

congratulations! you really are living a dream... :cheers1:

Deamon 03-17-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theluckypig (Post 222164)
congratulations! you really are living a dream... :cheers1:

My dream...only hope to reach your point some day. Soon enough, that place will be called San Rossman. Dive that area for bugs and if it's on, I'll be moving in with you. Jim

buddha 03-17-2015 10:49 AM

Great I will definitely go for the calicos over there.

Are they good year round there or is the summer the best time?

rossman 03-17-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 222169)
Great I will definitely go for the calicos over there.

Are they good year round there or is the summer the best time?

No clue. But I dare bet that our worst time of the year for calicos is better than your best.

The pelican 03-17-2015 11:03 AM

Bow down...:notworthy:

dpasinli 03-17-2015 11:09 AM

So Epic---!!! Well done!

rossman 03-17-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 222168)
My dream...only hope to reach your point some day. Soon enough, that place will be called San Rossman. Dive that area for bugs and if it's on, I'll be moving in with you. Jim

Mexico in general tends to discourage gringos from catching bugs. I think there is a federal law against it. They have a pretty strong co-op here in Asuncion and they make it pretty hard on the scab loberstermen that don't belong so I'm sure gringos would be fair game for vandals. Not saying that I won't give it a go, but it is off season for everyone right now.