Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   La Jolla Shores - car theft 9/17/2011 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11418)

lamb 09-20-2011 06:25 AM

La Jolla Shores - car theft 9/17/2011

Heads up:

The bad guys seem to be intensifying their dirty business at La Jolla Shores as the season is winding down.

This past Saturday 9/17, Jasmin landed on the beach to find out his car has been stolen. :(

He was parked 1 block away from the beach/1 block from the launch, on Vallecitos St. That's the street where the public restrooms are. He was parked right across the street in front of that apartment building, right next to the truck with dive equipment. Launched at 5:30 AM; when he landed at 10:30 AM, his car was gone.

He had some rods & reels in his car, wallet, and some other valuables.

Don't leave valuables in your car; don't provide any visible extra motivation for those guys to make your car a target. Steering wheel lock may be good idea.

Big thanks to Paul (Reel Anxious) for giving Jasmin & his kayak a ride back home.

If you see a metallic green Suzuki Grand Vitara with a kayak rack on the top and OEX pads, give a shout here.

Handymansd 09-20-2011 06:51 AM

I HATE those little bastards! I sure hope they get caught!

BWE Amber alert for a metallic green Suzuki Grand Vitara with a kayak rack on the top and OEX pads!!

blitzburgh 09-20-2011 07:03 AM

I FU*%ING HATE THIEFS!!!! :viking::viking::viking::viking::viking::viking::v iking::viking::viking::viking:Sorry to hear that. Good luck, hope most of his belongings find their way back to him.

JD 09-20-2011 07:13 AM

theft at the shores

Guys,

The thief's know that you're out on the water and will be gone for hours! Try not to leave any clues that you're on the water.

Keep fishing gear, kayak wheels, dive gear out of sight.
Don't put bumper stickers on your car that show you're a fisherman, kayaker or diver. Years ago in PV there was a rash of auto break in's the thievs target the cars with dive stickers (leaving unmarked vehicles alone) knowing that divers leave their cars unattended for hours!

wiredantz 09-20-2011 08:13 AM

Those Bastards.

Goodthing i have lojack, flame thrower mechanism, self destruct mode on my car. :D

blitzburgh 09-20-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 95065)
Those Bastards.

Goodthing i have lojack, flame thrower mechanism, self destruct mode on my car. :D

LMAO

jorluivil 09-20-2011 08:34 AM

That's always been my biggest concern. Its one thing to have your car broken into but having it stolen completely, most definitely, without a doubt in my mind.........sucks!

sandydiego 09-20-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 95056)
Guys,

The thief's know that you're out on the water and will be gone for hours! Try not to leave any clues that you're on the water.

Keep fishing gear, kayak wheels, dive gear out of sight.
Don't put bumper stickers on your car that show you're a fisherman, kayaker or diver. Years ago in PV there was a rash of auto break in's the thievs target the cars with dive stickers (leaving unmarked vehicles alone) knowing that divers leave their cars unattended for hours!

Sorry to hear about that. The kayak rack is a dead giveaway unfortunately. Keep your ride empty of all valuables.

wiredantz 09-20-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 95065)
Those Bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

I also forgot to mention i lock my sterring wheel, lock my trunk, lock the sterring wheel with the club, lock my glove compartment, and than i run a chain around my wheels. :the_finger:

If they are going to take my car, there going to have to work for it.

Dan 09-20-2011 09:04 AM

oh man that sucks.

i will write a note that says "no valubles or money in this car" on a notecard and stick it in my drivers side window using the rubber gasket by the lock.

if they want your truck they'll take it, but it might keep a tweaker from ganking your wallet or at least looking inside.

this was key at a surfspot i used to surf alot. otherwise your window was busted and your wallet was gonzo.

gcsasher 09-20-2011 09:15 AM

With the note they'll just break in and leave you a note saying " Just Checking."
I would go with the Trunk Monkey myself.
<TABLE class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 7px" vAlign=top>http://img.youtube.com/vi/Ee3L9BQQ4G...rjdMok6_-7m5Q=</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top>Trunk Monkey - YouTube
30 sec - Jun 5, 2006
Uploaded by maxhellier
<CITE>www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs</CITE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Drake 09-20-2011 09:16 AM

And we're sure it wasn't towed?! :eek:

Seems like a very populated area to be getting a car stolen on.

Holy Mackerel 09-20-2011 10:07 AM

That sucks! :mad:

MrPatrick 09-20-2011 12:18 PM

I second the towed theory.

Iceman 09-20-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Com'on people, do you not think that he has filed a police report, the car was STOLEN.

RobFish 09-20-2011 01:38 PM

Sorry to hear about the theft.
I work in the motorcycle industry, and for a while, movie theaters were the hotspot for motorcycle thefts.
Went like...rider parks bike and goes to watch a movie. Thief #2 buys a ticket and watches the movie with you, while Thief #1 steals your bike. If for any reason, you move from your seat, T2 walkie talkies T1 to leave now!
Nothing lower than a liar and a thief. Why don't we cut thieves hands off?
Sorry again for the loss.
RobFish

RK 09-20-2011 03:57 PM

Sorry to hear about that Jasmin, Lemme know if you need to borrow any fishing stuff till you get everything replaced.

The Kid 09-20-2011 04:29 PM

I'm huntin' for them. What's the license plate number?

sharonkayak 09-21-2011 07:38 AM

sorry to hear that.

I park over there all the time.

I guess they dont care for my rust bucket

mbaha 09-21-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcastic (Post 95093)

Well your user name is fitting. FYI stuff gets jacked from the Shores ALL THE TIME.
For the OP, two possibilities, one they drove the car around the corner and went through all your stuff or two your car is now in mexico and six months from now you will get call stating that they found your car frame in a ditch somewhere.
Sorry.
Keep an eye out, lots of sketchy east county meth heads work this area.