Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ Saturday (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28208)

taggermike 02-07-2016 09:56 AM

LJ Saturday

1 Attachment(s)
Had my first LJ paddle out of 2016 yesterday. Conditions really couldn't have been better. Tiny surf, light off shore breeze that went totally calm, water felt warm, n bait was super easy. I caught a Spanish, a greenie, and a sardine on the same sibiki drop. Gulls were picking at red crabs across a wide area. Only fish I saw were 2 black sea bass CnR-ed. Evidently some guys scored.

I fished a greenie on the bottom drifting and slow trolling. Dropped a bunch of different irons too. Made the most out of the 1 bite I got n put a halibut on board. May 10 lbs or so. And headed on in. Landing was as easy as it gets. Paddled strait in till the yak scraped bottom. Mike

Geno Machino 02-07-2016 10:07 AM

Nice score!

Still waiting for my first Hali.

Thanks for the report.

Geno

Jude 02-07-2016 11:04 AM

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Hill 02-07-2016 11:19 AM

Did you catch the hali on bait or iron?

kayakfisherman 02-07-2016 12:47 PM

Nice job, beautiful, tasty fish!! You're battling a 1000.

taggermike 02-07-2016 01:01 PM

Hali bit a green Mac fished right on the bottom. Mostly I was dropping iron to have some thing to do cause I find bottom fishing kinda boring. Thought id be fishing frozen squid on the dropper loop so i had a 7/0 aki twist hook tied on. I left the squid in the car n didn't notice till I was out passed the reserve. I went ahead n fished the Mac on the big hook. Liked the result. Most halibut seam to come up just barely hook. This one had the hook in its mouth and the bend coming out about 2" back from its jaw. No way that hook was coming out. And the aki twists have long shanks so the line wasnt on its teeth. Might have to give the short shank circles I usually use a break until fly line time. Mike

GeauxFish 02-07-2016 01:27 PM

Nice catch & info:luxhello:

Harry Hill 02-07-2016 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 252952)
Hali bit a green Mac fished right on the bottom. Mostly I was dropping iron to have some thing to do cause I find bottom fishing kinda boring. Thought id be fishing frozen squid on the dropper loop so i had a 7/0 aki twist hook tied on. I left the squid in the car n didn't notice till I was out passed the reserve. I went ahead n fished the Mac on the big hook. Liked the result. Most halibut seam to come up just barely hook. This one had the hook in its mouth and the bend coming out about 2" back from its jaw. No way that hook was coming out. And the aki twists have long shanks so the line wasnt on its teeth. Might have to give the short shank circles I usually use a break until fly line time. Mike

thanks for the info, I've been fishing circles hooks on the squid but I'm still batting 0 on hali, I may need to put some twist hooks in my box. Last time out two of my squid were bit in half, that is frustrating.

2-Stix 02-08-2016 03:23 PM

bitchen mike!

maquinapescado 02-08-2016 03:36 PM

How did your car smell with that squid in it? Because I have never left squid in my car all day to come back to a stink-fest. Just asking ;)

taggermike 02-09-2016 07:08 AM

The thought of the squid smell was on my mind, I can tell ya. Got lucky, the squid was still frosty when I loaded it and double bagged. No smell at all. Mike

fresh to salt 02-09-2016 10:33 AM

Hahaha good catch big guy! Glad the car wasnt too smelly.

iethinker 02-09-2016 06:34 PM

Great

Great report!