Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ 9/12 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33432)

kpasadr 09-12-2018 11:39 PM

LJ 9/12

3 Attachment(s)
Decided to launch off Marine St in much larger surf than I should have because my decision making before morning coffee aint so good. Beautiful day with minimal wind but lots of PBs. Water deep blue, good vis and 71. Making bait outside the kelp was a little slow at first until the boils started coming around. All the bait was pretty small 4-6”-needed a smaller sabiki. All my luck on the outside was on red hookup baits, a few rockfish, calicos and a monster sand bass. Dogs are everywhere. On the way in kept two small macs to drop on a flyline inside the kelp. First drop hit by a mommy of a calico with another fish chasing behind it up to the boat. Dropped the last bait on my lightest gear and within seconds it gets hit, line screaming out. Not the biggest fight but fun battle on the light rod. All that paddling and the best fish caught within 100 yards of shore.
Totals:
22” yellow
4 calico
2 brown rockfish
1 sand bass

Hope this helps someone on their next trip

Tailslayer7 09-13-2018 07:55 AM

Solid!

GTboosted 09-13-2018 08:00 AM

Not a big one but good enough to eat!

Good job on the sashimi.

Denis_Ruso 09-13-2018 08:04 AM

Great report, that seems to be the norm at LJ. Everyone working all kinds of deep water and then getting bit on the paddle back right at the kelp.

govomit 09-13-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpasadr (Post 296906)
Hope this helps someone on their next trip

Yes, it helped me with hope to go out there today (9/13) - 10:30 to 13:30am. Could not replicate your great catch, but managed to get 3 calicos on the bottom. Could not make any bait, very weird... Almost no boats, no dogs, no boils, permanent moderate wind and too sunny. Ocean is different every day :D
Two questions:
- what time did you get in and back ?
- "lots of PBs" ??? :hmmmm2: (still learning the jargon)
Any photos of the other fish ?

kpasadr 09-13-2018 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, lots of Power Boats (PBs). Everyone was super cool, having a good relaxing day so no Power Boats and Jerks (PB&J). I dont have a gopro so no great pics like many of the talented guys out there, here was my stringer on the way in. Kind of a weird angle of the sand bass and rockfish- they were not mutants!

Headed out a bit after 6 and in by 1130.

govomit 09-14-2018 10:49 AM

Power Boats, huh... the other one is Personal Best, and there is also Pacific Beach. All depends on context I guess.
Thank you for the motivational stringer shot! 🐟+🐟+🐟+🐟 = 🏆

LEEZO 09-14-2018 07:51 PM

that seaweed wrap pic is a drooler. congrats on your yellowtail!:drool5: