Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   halibut mayhem (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13611)

slobslayer 05-15-2012 09:35 PM

halibut mayhem

3 Attachment(s)
We launched our boat around 1030pm monday to fish through the night into the next day. Night was slow due to the tide, ended up falling asleep and waking up soaking wet. The bait we got that night rolled within 1 hour so we had to make bait in the morning. Tried a few spots for nothing and finally stuck what we came for. All went according to plan from fighting the fish to gaffing and landing the fish, then this is where it goes wrong. I get ready to walk it up to the fish hold when the fish goes crazy and comes off the gaff and hits the deck bouncing almost over the rail. As were trying to grab the dang thing it kicks my favorite combo right into the water(calcutta 400 on a fenwick rod). I immediately pull my phone and wallet out and jump in! I almost had it i touched the butt of the rod, but couldnt grab it...its gone im pissed. I dive down a few times for nothing. Swim back to the boat to find that some how during the struggle my brand new spinning combo went into the drink too. Needless to say I'm not happy so i take a little anger out on the fish with a rubber mallet. My buddy casts out to drag the bottom in hopes of finding my rods. He somehow catches my line on his swivel and ever so gently brings it in. Yesss! My calcutta comes up from the depths as i wind it in by hand. Never found my spinning combo though. Great day ended up with one legal, several shorts, 10 calicos, 2 beans, juvi wsb, few sharks, and a couple rays.. All from SD bay on sardines and gulps.

lowprofile 05-15-2012 09:42 PM

lol, this is why everyone needs a go pro on at all times.

NextBite 05-15-2012 09:43 PM

What a night! :)

mtnbykr2 05-16-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 118274)
lol, this is why everyone needs a go pro on at all times.

Now that would have made some interesting footage...at least you came home with some meat...

blitzburgh 05-16-2012 07:39 AM

LMAO! That reminds me of tons of bay skiff trips with my brothers. Arguing, taunting, catching fish, losing gear........those are the trips you remember!:D

slobslayer 05-16-2012 08:19 AM

Do any of you guys do reel service or would recommend anybody in san Diego area

mtnbykr2 05-16-2012 09:11 AM

Ken's ...I believe they are down there, I have tried to clean out reels that went for a swim before, but after being in the brown water, I could never get all of it out, after disassemble and reassemble, when the reels are like that I leave it to someone who knows best, or retire the reel...

Amish Ed 05-16-2012 10:42 AM

Glad you got your combo back. That would've been a heart breaker. Plus, you guys got a few.

vincentek9 05-16-2012 04:15 PM

you took out phone and wallet and jumped in?! damn thats insane lol. glad you got the calcutta combo back!!!

slobslayer 05-16-2012 04:42 PM

It was just instincts I didn't even think twice. I cant afford another one plus wife thinks I already have too many