Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cabo Yellowfin (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32253)

Baja Marty 11-23-2017 01:24 PM

Cabo Yellowfin

1 Attachment(s)
My first post, part two.....

I've been fishing off Palmilla beach for about 4 years, mostly catching small Cabrilla and Pargo. The goal has been to enjoy the spectacular scenery, get some exercise and hopefully catch a few keepers for dinner. Once in a while I catch one worthy of a photo, more often not.

I had all but given up on bait fishing. Chunk bait worked once, but otherwise brought in nothing but pesky Triggerfish. Jigging for brown bait was hit-or-miss and too much trouble. So I've gone to all artificial, mostly Lucanus jigs bounced off the bottom, Megabaits or Krocodiles.

This trip the local bait guys were netting sardinas right off the nearby rocks and the fleet was fishing just a mile straight out. How could I resist? I tried several times using a bait bucket, no love. Finally I jury rigged an old OEX bait tank to my new Hobie and sonofagun, I got one. Lively bait was the key.

This small yellowfin is a milestone for me, my first kayak tuna. I wonder if they will be this close to shore ever again?....

Ggiannig89 11-23-2017 03:45 PM

Damn that’s bitchen! Good catch and good memory.

SmokinBass 11-23-2017 08:48 PM

Congrats on the Victory!!!

Valek 11-23-2017 10:38 PM

Nice catch, Congrats and Thanks for shearing.

Iceman 11-24-2017 11:49 AM

Got some good mojo in that new Hobie! :D Keep em coming!

FISH11 11-24-2017 08:38 PM

Congrats. Sure would love to bloody the deck of my Revo with one of those.

jlabs63 11-25-2017 06:27 PM

Awesome catch! I have fished that area many times and have seen them that close several times. Have you tried slabs of Humbolt Squid? If you are still down there, go to the La Comer or any big super market and you can pick it up for cheap. Use a big chunk (like 2"x3") to keep the triggerfish away. Toss it out with some smaller chucks of chum; use mono so it sinks.

That area is a different fishery. The fish there seem to like meat; even the smaller ones.

Nice AJ too! I caught on about that size on a panga and it killed me. Mans-game doing in on the yak!

Baja Marty 11-26-2017 02:01 PM

Thanks for the good tip. I was hoping someone on this board had experience fishing that area. I've tried squid in the past but never such a big chunk. Hopefully that will discourage the little guys from stealing my bait. I'll try it next time we are down there.

BigLouSD 11-27-2017 03:45 PM

Great catch! Sounds like that spot is panning out with the addition of your Hobie kayak.

JohnMckroidJr 11-28-2017 08:11 AM

Congratulations, Good account of crossing another specie off the kayak bucket list.