Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New to kayak fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35578)

itsmemustard 08-01-2020 09:32 PM

New to kayak fishing

Im new to kayak fishing although I have experience kayaking Dana Point and Catalina. Im am going with some friend out of Dana Point this coming friday any advice? or tips to start kayak fishing?

DanaPT 08-02-2020 05:52 AM

Use the search bar...

A lot of good posts on where to fish.

Just watch the winds and boat traffic. Fridays are the start and weekends are busier.

Good luck.

itsmemustard 08-02-2020 11:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up and advice! there's ten knot w/nw winds friday how would a kayak handle in them, haven't really paid attention to the winds but debating to head north or south.

Salty 08-05-2020 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmemustard (Post 309677)
Thanks for the heads up and advice! there's ten knot w/nw winds friday how would a kayak handle in them, haven't really paid attention to the winds but debating to head north or south.

Welcome! I fish out of Dana Point just about once a week or more. Wind direction and speed will have a big impact on how much fun you're having out there. It also depends where you're fishing. I usually go North out of the harbor towards the red buoy or the kelp beds offshore of Salt Creek. But there's plenty of fishing South and in the harbor itself. As far as 10 knots, that's not great but it's still manageable. I like to launch at sunrise, depending how lazy I'm feeling that morning lol. Conditions look good and wind should be really light all morning, so it should be glassy! It peaks at only 8kts out of the West at 3pm. That means when I'm heading back from up North, the wind will be off to the starboard side and I won't be going in against the wind. A tailwind would be nice, but I'll take what I can get! The report shows a nice tide push all morning, which I also like to see!

Uncle_Tomas 08-05-2020 04:53 PM

If you are new to kayak fishing I would strongly recommend Newport Harbor. I have fished DP bunch of times and it can be good but you need to figure the fishery out first which takes time. By fishing in harbor you can also get a good feel of your kayak before you go out fishing the open water.
All you need is light line and small swimbaits, grub tails or jerk shad on drop shot rig. Don’t forget life jacket and VHF if you are planning on paddling further out.
Good luck.

itsmemustard 08-06-2020 11:08 AM

North or south

Thanks for the responses with the current wind predictions Im debating to head north or south. Speaking that i'll be returning to the harbor around 3:30 what would be the best direction to head with the current winds.

DanaPT 08-06-2020 05:43 PM

Afternoon winds will push you south. Fish north early and have help on your way back.

Salty 08-07-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 309808)
Afternoon winds will push you south. Fish north early and have help on your way back.

+1

itsmemustard 08-07-2020 07:29 PM

Thanks for all the help went out about 9 and returned 3, caught a couple small hali trolling near the breakwall. One Issue i had was when stoping on spots I couldn't seem to stay on them for more than 5-10 minutes before drifting a significant distance away. How do you stay on spots without drifting too fast.