Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sewer Bugs (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24092)

Mikey Likes It 12-13-2014 03:25 PM

Sewer Bugs

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working and staying in Long Beach since the beginning
of October and decided to bring my old cobra explorer to use for hooping. I've been out five times now and finally found my honey hole up in long beach

Went out last Wednesday night and pulled up four keepers and about 14 shorts in five hours.

Went out again last night after the rain and wind cleared. The launch was sketchy and I barely made it out. Had limits by 1 am. Pulled up number 7 on the last pull of the night. Very satisfying to scout and find a new lobster hole in a new area all on my own.

I had to sort through a lot of shorts but the bugs were consistently crawling both nights. I've noticed a lot more male lobsters in long beach compared to San Diego. Also the amount of trash in the water in long beach is pretty depressing.

I've done research on the internet and talked to other more experienced fisherman about eating lobsters from dirty harbor waters like long beach and I don't think there's a problem. What are your guy's thoughts? Should I be concerned about eating lobsters from waters that have trash floating around in it? Also, I caught a crab and when I brought him home he was foaming out the mouth. Is it ok to eat a crab with a foamy mouth?

jorluivil 12-13-2014 03:40 PM

I wouldn't eat them if I were you.

Give me your address so that I can come pick them up and dispose them in the appropriate manner

inbx3 12-13-2014 03:59 PM

If you think about it, a lobster is just a cockroach in water. Eating everything it can find on the bottom of the ocean/bay. So dirty water is no big deal. Good job on the catch and enjoy.

DanaPT 12-13-2014 04:09 PM

Duuuuuude... nice haul. I'm sure the dirtier the water the sweater the meat. something like that.

LBKayakDude 12-13-2014 05:34 PM

Nice job dude! I think me and Kevin (silbaugh4liberty) ran into you @ long beach a week or two ago. We all were in xfactors. Glad to see you're doing well 👍👍 🎣🎣

ceviche eater 12-13-2014 05:43 PM

good job!

ful-rac 12-13-2014 05:55 PM

Dont worry about it mikey...cant be anymore polluted than san diego or catalina... :eek:

Seriously... They're fine.

But i think that crab has rabies....

ryan111 12-13-2014 07:32 PM

yews looking good

blitzburgh 12-15-2014 07:15 AM

Nice work! :cheers1:

Silbaugh4liberty 12-16-2014 12:50 PM

Awesome, good job out there Mike. Nice meeting you on the water a few weeks ago in Long Beach. Shoot me or Joe a text if you plan on going out in Long Beach sometime.

Great job on the Bugs again!!

:cheers1:

SorryCharlie 12-16-2014 01:14 PM

Awesome haul!

From what I have read (and there are some way more lobster savvy guys on here, so correct me if I'm wrong) lobsters do not store fat in that same way fish do, so water "cleanliness" has a minimal effect on their meat quality.

So eat away!

socal.beach.bum 12-16-2014 01:26 PM

Nice haul. :D

Tried my luck last night, 3 hours on the water for a big fat goose egg.

Oh well, try again after the storm.

Dail14 12-16-2014 09:10 PM

All toxins will collect in the liver, and other filtering organs. Just don't eat the organs and you will be fine so long as the animal has not been completely soaked in high concentrations of such pollutants.