Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Its all about that butt...that butt no trouble. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29989)

MITCHELL 09-16-2016 06:36 PM

Its all about that butt...that butt no trouble.

1 Attachment(s)
If your going to trophy hunt for big halibut ditch the trap rig.....a trouble hook will make your mackerel die quicker plus possibly damaging a short halibut
40 trilene biggame egg sinker swivel 25 lbs florocarbon leader off set j hook carolina rigged worked for me ......a big butt won't have any trouble swallowing your mackerel
37lbs 45in long tail 13 ins wide:reel:

Geno Machino 09-16-2016 06:52 PM

I totally agree...I never use one myself.

Great Catch!!!

:cheers1:

jorluivil 09-16-2016 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 269179)
If your going to trophy hunt for big halibut ditch the trap rig

I've caught them using both a single circle hook on a dropper loop and using a trap rig. The only issue with using a single hook is that your hit n miss ratio will increase.

.....a trouble hook will make your mackerel die quicker plus possibly damaging a short halibut

That's a false statement. I fish with trap rigs 99.99999% of the time and I place the treble hook on the top of the mac near/behind the dorsal fins(right in the meat) or right above the anal fin right in the gut. Most of the time I change my bait because I've had the same bait on for an extended amount of time, its rare that I change it because it turned. Also, a butt will have to swallow the entire bait in order to the hook to dig deep in the gut, I've seen happen but its extremely rare because of the way they attack the bait so using a single hook will not guarantee that a small butt will not get harmed

40 trilene biggame egg sinker swivel 25 lbs florocarbon leader off set j hook caroLina riged worked for me ......a big butt won't have any trouble swallowing your mackerel

That is true but not all of the time. If you need proof of that take a look at Greg's video and you'll see that its rare that a butt(large or small) swallows the entire bait on the first strike........that's why the term 'raked bait' exist

Anyway............that's a hell of a fish!!!

MITCHELL 09-16-2016 07:12 PM

Weight it at the Marlin club shelter island

Got a slip of paper 37lbs 45ins long tail 13 ins wide

Reel Anxious 09-16-2016 07:17 PM

Big butt

Hey Mitch, That's one nice Hali. Your persistence paid off big time. :cheers1:

MITCHELL 09-16-2016 07:19 PM

16 oz....

1 Attachment(s)
Rockstar can fit

MITCHELL 09-16-2016 07:29 PM

Thanks Paul & Geno....and the rest.....

Beautiful day on the water and thanks for the info halibut kings....what's the deal with unloading pictures and security tokens

JeffB 09-16-2016 07:41 PM

Nice Hali!

mrJB 09-16-2016 08:11 PM

Great fish and nice to see an accurate weight for a change...!
:luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

MITCHELL 09-16-2016 08:34 PM

Marlin club

3 Attachment(s)
Shelter island San Diego bay

MITCHELL 09-16-2016 08:37 PM

36 1/2 lbs

To be exact

Batmann 09-16-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 269196)
To be exact

Mitchell,

Did you catch that hali in San Diego Bay?

Nice fish. Catch of a lifetime!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MITCHELL 09-17-2016 04:33 AM

Yes......

1 Attachment(s)
San Diego bay

taggermike 09-17-2016 08:13 AM

Congrats, quality Hali for sure.

There are many better Hali anglers than me in this board that use traps, but I gave up using them years ago. I found I still missed fish ( not sure how). Caught more short halis, multitudes more lizard fish, and gut hooked too many sand bass. Mike

MITCHELL 09-17-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 269203)
Congrats, quality Hali for sure.

There are many better Hali anglers than me in this board that use traps, but I gave up using them years ago. I found I still missed fish ( not sure how). Caught more short halis, multitudes more lizard fish, and gut hooked too many sand bass. Mike

Ya that's for sure the last two times I went for halibut I used a trap rig but not like the way Jorge ties them I got a sandbass and two short halibut released

alanw 09-17-2016 06:54 PM

Nice catch Mitch. I was getting a lot of raked baits so decided to switch to a trap hook halibut rig. I'm going to try putting the trap hook further up like Jorge posted because I've been hooking it back by the tail and my bait is tiring too fast, costing me too much bait.

Vikingj 09-17-2016 07:41 PM

Super nice fish! A fish that big takes more than luck and you have demonstrated some real skill in bagging that big boy. Thanks for sharing your procedure and if something works for you keep doing it.
Personally, I use a trap hook and I caught a 15lb hali today that I would not have nailed without it. You can also use a single J or circle hook instead of a treble as a trap hook and avoid some of the damage that others have mentioned.

Aaron&Julie 09-18-2016 01:02 AM

Nice 'but, congrats.

MITCHELL 09-18-2016 04:53 AM

Thanks I'm going to try Jorge's way....

2 Attachment(s)
Cause he's the halbut....King
With circle,treble & off set j hooks

jorluivil 09-18-2016 07:42 AM

If you're catching small grade butts and by-catch chances are you're fishing with smaller sized bait like anchovies, sardines or smaller grade macs. I prefer to use macs that are in the 9 - 12 inch range, these tend to keep the by-catch away(unless its a monster bass) and will result in hooking less short butts. Another reason you may be catching short butts is for one simple reason, you're fishing an area that is holding a ton of short butts.