Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ 10/29 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32130)

kpasadr 10-29-2017 07:47 PM

LJ 10/29

3 Attachment(s)
Slightly breezy, water still warm, foggy/overcast until at least noon. Moderate swell punching through to the reefs. Launched about 7, light day with one rod, coffee and my trusty companion. Tons of bait outside the kelp and bonito pushing them up to the surface. Hit 3 or 4 on fly line and one on a hookup. Only got 2 on board- its amazing how long they run just holding the bait in their teeth but dont take it in. I hear lots of talk about them being junk fish but I have been loving the sushi and poke bowls... Anyway, no yellowtail around but always nice to be on the water.

TheBentRod 10-29-2017 07:54 PM

I would have never thought that was Bonita!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ggiannig89 10-29-2017 08:08 PM

Looks really good top to bottom! :cheers1:

goldenglory18 10-30-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBentRod (Post 287492)
I would have never thought that was Bonita

+1. Every bonita I've caught was very dark. Do you bleed yours out?

Hunters Pa 10-30-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 287496)
+1. Every bonita I've caught was very dark. Do you bleed yours out?

have to bleed INSTANTLY and get on ice. Also, spike the brain so it does not thrash and bruise the meat.

Bonito is GREAT sashimi & poke. But only if you bleed & ice

goldenglory18 10-30-2017 07:55 AM

That makes a lot of sense. Mine caught were on cattle boats and were unedible once I got them home.

Thanks for the tip!

katz 10-30-2017 09:34 AM

Is that an inflatable Kayak you are fishing from?

kpasadr 10-30-2017 12:28 PM

Agree on bleed and ice right away, I also try to process them as soon as possible and be sure to trim off all the blood lines.

And yes, inflatable. Makes gaffing a shark a true adventure. 😁 Its built for whitewater like the rafts, weighs 42lb and fits in a rucksac so I can fly with it and makes it easy to get to the beach folded in my little pickup. That almost makes up for the very real possibility of a long swim to shore, almost.

FullFlavorPike 10-30-2017 04:06 PM

are you drinking milk with your nigiri?

kpasadr 10-30-2017 05:07 PM

Yup, it helps wash down that nasty fishy taste of uncooked bonito

FullFlavorPike 10-30-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpasadr (Post 287520)
Yup, it helps wash down that nasty fishy taste of uncooked bonito

:puke:

:cheers1:

goodboye looks like an awesome little kayak buddy! i always want to take my doggo for a paddle, but he jumps out and starts swimming around, and it's really hard to get him back in the boat. does yours swim out and get in the boat after you get through the surf or does he weather the surf launch?

kpasadr 10-31-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 287523)
:puke:

:cheers1:

goodboye looks like an awesome little kayak buddy! i always want to take my doggo for a paddle, but he jumps out and starts swimming around, and it's really hard to get him back in the boat. does yours swim out and get in the boat after you get through the surf or does he weather the surf launch?

She holds on for dear life through the surf and if she falls out heads straight back to shore so I have to get it right the first time. But she loves the birds and is one close pelican fly-by from jumping out. Gotta bring a towel though because they get cold if its windy and the launch wasnt smooth.:kayak-surfer: