Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Binoculars/Monoculars (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13494)

MrM 05-06-2012 10:56 AM

Binoculars/Monoculars

How many of you carry Bino's/Mono's with you on your 'yak? I am going to be picking up a Monocular here soon, and wondered if you guys carry anything when you go out.

This will serve a dual purpose for me... I'm a Safety Manager, and occasionally I get to "watch people" if you catch my drift. (workers comp fraud is a big thing with my company)

My old pair of Bino's are huge, and draw far too much attention to me. Any recommendations?

RockyRaab 05-06-2012 03:19 PM

Trust me on this (I've written professionally about optics)...

You want compact binos with no more than 8X and an objective lens of 20-30. More power and you won't be able to hold them still while on waves. The objective lens has nothing to do with "wide view" but only with light gathering. Unless you go out at night, 8x30 is more than enough. You can find a gazillion compact models of 10x24 or so - and they'll be okay, but you'll have a tough time holding your interest item in the frame. A compact 7x24 would be MUCH better.

A monocular offers NO depth perception, and forces you to squint the "off" eye, which is very tiresome after more than a few seconds.

CheapPelican 05-06-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrM (Post 117062)
...My old pair of Bino's are huge, and draw far too much attention to me. Any recommendations?

I like looking at boobs too.

Whizz Bang 05-06-2012 10:26 PM

Mono.........BUT........I have purchased the boardwalk and am charging insane rent.

I have thought about bringing binos with me, then I had a moment of clarity (pun intended) and realized that I would either use them to spy on other fishermen, or for scouting out bird activity that will cease long before I ever get to what they are diving on. Focus (again pun intended) on what is happening around you, the conditions as they are presented in your sphere of influence. If these are unsatisfactory, cover more ground.

See you out there (Yes, again).

Papa drew 05-07-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 117074)
I like looking at boobs too.

Yes yes b is for. Boobies and boobies are for me. Today lesson is brought to you by the letter b

Papa drew

oneyedeer 05-07-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyRaab (Post 117070)
Trust me on this (I've written professionally about optics)...

You want compact binos with no more than 8X and an objective lens of 20-30. More power and you won't be able to hold them still while on waves. The objective lens has nothing to do with "wide view" but only with light gathering. Unless you go out at night, 8x30 is more than enough. You can find a gazillion compact models of 10x24 or so - and they'll be okay, but you'll have a tough time holding your interest item in the frame. A compact 7x24 would be MUCH better.

A monocular offers NO depth perception, and forces you to squint the "off" eye, which is very tiresome after more than a few seconds.

any models and make recommendations?

RockyRaab 05-07-2012 11:58 AM

I'm not current on new models, but I've always found Pentax optics to be a very good value for the money.

I haven't personally tested these three compacts (all 8x25mm) but they were reviewed by a trusted colleague of mine. Any one of them would be a good choice.

Leupold Rogue (about $85)

Nikon Travelite VI (about $70)

Olympus Tracker PCI (about $80)

T-Rex 05-07-2012 12:31 PM

If you're going to use them on the water, you should seriously consider somthing with image stabilization -- it makes a huge difference. Gyro is best but expensive, gyro assisted is good and electronic image stabilization is a lot better than nothing. Fujinon, Nikon and Cannon are all good. You can find Cannon 10x30 image stabilized on eBay in the $300-400 range.

I've got a compact 8x24 Bushnell H2O and a 7x50 Nikon. The Nikon gives much brighter, sharper image and works much better in low light conditions. Granted the Nikon's better quality, but a bigger diameter objective lens (50 vs 24mm) gathers a lot more light and works better at dawn, dusk and low light days. The difference is pretty noticeable even on overcast days. I bought the Bushnesll for the kayak and wish I'd spent more to get something with image stabilization.

Whatever you get, make sure it's completely waterproof and nitrogen filled. Otherwise, you'll have issues on the water.