Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   casting surface iron with 7'6", M or H? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36431)

Carlos Gonzalez 07-05-2021 07:40 PM

casting surface iron with 7'6", M or H?

Hi guys,

I am about to get a phenix black diamond 7'6" PWS760M, i will use it to fish from the kayak only, my idea is surface iron and metals, is going to be paired with a accurate 400, just have a doubt if I should get the PWS760M or the PSW760.

Do you have have any experience with these rods?

I know 7'6" is not the best option for surface iron but is what I feel more comfortable.

I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!

MITCHELL 07-06-2021 06:36 AM

Contact me if you want something custom.

2 Attachment(s)
This is my iron and wahoo bomb set up.
One reel for two poles, but I'm using aftco unibutts
Phoenix Abyss 20-50 Lt 9.3
Calstar grafighter 30-80 Lt 7ft
Nanolite guides

JohnMckroidJr 07-06-2021 09:50 AM

Subliminally answered

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos Gonzalez (Post 314690)
Hi guys,

I am about to get a phenix black diamond 7'6" PWS760M, i will use it to fish from the kayak only, my idea is surface iron and metals, is going to be paired with a accurate 400, just have a doubt if I should get the PWS760M or the PSW760.

Do you have have any experience with these rods?

I know 7'6" is not the best option for surface iron but is what I feel more comfortable.

I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!

"M" is mentioned 3 times, "H" only in your title. Would depend on what pound line and type of lures you plan to use with it?

Based on the reel size, I would guess the "M" would be most suitable.

On the Pheonix website, B-PSW-C 760M looks like a top-quality pricey blank. We all have different tastes, Congratulations on your decision Carlos!

SoCalEDC 07-07-2021 07:24 AM

Depends what you are fishing for. What reel are you going to pair it with? If you are going to pair it with a baitcaster consider the m1 Inshore as well, they are available from 7'4" up to I think 9'. They make a variety of rods in the M1 series. I paired mine (8'2" 20-45#) with a tranx 400HG and it works great for lighter irons i.e. everything tady 45 and lighter. Its actually rated up to an 8oz lure but I don't think I would throw anything heavy with that.

vincentek9 07-07-2021 09:00 AM

Phenix black diamond series
PSW760M: 15-40# rating
PSW760H: 20-60# rating

People say that the black diamond series is weight rated higher than that feel. I would go to a shop and test pull on both rods to see which one you would prefer when on a yak.

Also, would you prefer a deckhand style or a reel seat? If reel seat, maybe look into okuma pch custom and daiwa proteus rods. they are priced fairly well. also, Californian rods from Turners? I believe that they are phenix blanks (abyss or axis, if i recall).

Carlos Gonzalez 07-07-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentek9 (Post 314712)
Phenix black diamond series
PSW760M: 15-40# rating
PSW760H: 20-60# rating

People say that the black diamond series is weight rated higher than that feel. I would go to a shop and test pull on both rods to see which one you would prefer when on a yak.

Also, would you prefer a deckhand style or a reel seat? If reel seat, maybe look into okuma pch custom and daiwa proteus rods. they are priced fairly well. also, Californian rods from Turners? I believe that they are phenix blanks (abyss or axis, if i recall).

thanks a lot, the big problem I have is I am in Ensenada and i am not able to cross the border yet, however, I ended up buying a Okuma PCH 7'6"H, i am just waiting to receive it and test it.

cheers guys!

JohnMckroidJr 07-08-2021 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos Gonzalez (Post 314718)
thanks a lot, the big problem I have is I am in Ensenada and i am not able to cross the border yet, however, I ended up buying a Okuma PCH 7'6"H, i am just waiting to receive it and test it.

cheers guys!

Congratulations on your purchase. Buying a completed rod for less than the Phoenix blank price is a good practical choice. With a 20-50lb rating, it splits the difference between the 760M and H. I won a couple of Okuma rods and they seem like good quality.

The mark-up on rod blanks, and rod building material is insane. If I can find a bulk wrapped version, it's usually more economical to strip it down and re-wrap it to my tastes rather than to buy all the parts for a new build.