Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LA Jolla Saturday? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22880)

Silbaugh4liberty 08-06-2014 07:23 AM

LA Jolla Saturday?

Anyone hitting up LA Jolla on Saturday? I'm thinking of going bit never been there. Let me know if anyone wants to join. I've only fished Newport and Cabrillo so far. Where is a good place to launch from? My plan is to bring the sibiki rod, load up the live well, troll a mac, and throw my new irons with my new lexa! I'm ready to put it to work and catch my first yellow tail. Do you guys run a trap hook (treble) on your macs? Do you think that would keep the sea loins off, or just make me lose a fishing pole? ? Just curious. From my experience, the macs last quite a long time with the treble, so i figured it wouldn't hurt. Let me know if anyone is planning on going. Cheers:D

MrM 08-06-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 202598)
Anyone hitting up LA Jolla on Saturday? I'm thinking of going bit never been there. Let me know if anyone wants to join. I've only fished Newport and Cabrillo so far. Where is a good place to launch from? My plan is to bring the sibiki rod, load up the live well, troll a mac, and throw my new irons with my new lexa! I'm ready to put it to work and catch my first yellow tail. Do you guys run a trap hook (treble) on your macs? Do you think that would keep the sea loins off, or just make me lose a fishing pole? ? Just curious. From my experience, the macs last quite a long time with the treble, so i figured it wouldn't hurt. Let me know if anyone is planning on going. Cheers:D

Launch from the beach, Avenida De La Playa is the street I believe. You can drive right on the sand if you have the right car/truck, or just park in the 15 minute area and wheel it down. The actual parking lot is north a half block or so. Showers, bathrooms, good looking women, etc.

Watch out for the MLPA area, don't fish inside the boundary. As for the trap hook, I don't. That's more of a halibut thing for me. But hey, maybe it works for someone on here. Who knows.

I'll be there with a buddy of mine, along with a million other buddies I haven't met yet.

Silbaugh4liberty 08-06-2014 07:49 AM

Awesome, i appreciate the advice. My map shows one big mlpa area, and one smaller area a little north. Is that street in between the two areas? I'll check Google. Thanks again for the advice bro

HELLSTER INC. 08-06-2014 04:49 PM

I will be there sat as well, Jackson cuda red/black camo. :jig:

Widgeon 08-06-2014 05:49 PM

Good luck out there.
Which model Lexa ?
I've been using a 300 hslp and 20-30# inshore rod for some of the lighter lures/ irons.
It's a little power house

Silbaugh4liberty 08-06-2014 07:36 PM

I got the Lexa 400. Kind of beefy, thinking about a lighter outfit like a 300 as well, but then again I'll probably know better once i catch some big fish with it

Widgeon 08-06-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 202655)
I got the Lexa 400. Kind of beefy, thinking about a lighter outfit like a 300 as well, but then again I'll probably know better once i catch some big fish with it

The 300 and 400 have the same drag potential, but the 400 holds a lot more line.:D
What line did you put on it and how much?

Silbaugh4liberty 08-06-2014 07:53 PM

I bought it at fisherman's access by my house and they offered white power pro for free, or the difference for super slick, so i got it loaded with 65 lb (220 yds) of blue super slick, paid $6 for the line!

YakDout 08-06-2014 07:58 PM

the lexa 400 is great for surface irons/waxwings, casts awesome and I have caught some decent sized fish on it. Tiburon makes a cool little reel clamp for the lexa 400 if you wanted to put it on like an 8 foot medium jigstick ...DEADLY

Widgeon 08-06-2014 07:59 PM

Right on.
I got about 185yrds of 50# izor on my 300.

Bert Vega 08-07-2014 09:05 AM

If it's like last Saturday. There will be a BUNCH of yaks on the water.

Cbad Mike 08-07-2014 12:19 PM

I don't use traps on macks. You'll have your hands full as soon as a seal gets hooked on it.

Silbaugh4liberty 08-07-2014 01:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I will avoid that then. I'll leave that for the boat. I really hope to get a yellow on the iron or waxwing!