Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   If you can deal with the crowd (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31915)

NICKWORN 09-16-2017 01:44 PM

If you can deal with the crowd

1 Attachment(s)
The fish are there, but it's insane dealing with 30kayaks and over 100 boats!!

Huge bonito right, fight like YT!

Northwest corner, 130' ( you'll know ur in the spot when u see 100 boats role up on u).
Launched at 4:30am to beat the crowd!

Yellowtail broke my 6month old Shimano Teramar!:doh:

Wolfpacks as seen on fish finder are everywhere! It's no secret guys the fish are biting, hints the crowd. Same shit as it was a couple weeks ago, I'd give it a few days before they are pressured north again!

summers in kuwait 09-16-2017 02:35 PM

Sucks about the rod

But nice work Nick! Chunky bonito. How are guys preparing these?

Dannowar 09-16-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summers in kuwait (Post 286045)

Bleed it and gut em right away. Then when you get home throw it in the trash and enjoy your yt

NICKWORN 09-16-2017 03:12 PM

Smoking them

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by summers in kuwait (Post 286045)

I'm trying this recipe I pulled from BD

YakDout 09-16-2017 03:24 PM

I typically keep bonita. Usually just to throw at a seal when he is coming for a yt.

TJones 09-16-2017 03:53 PM

Dog Food

:D

summers in kuwait 09-16-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 286047)
Bleed it and gut em right away. Then when you get home throw it in the trash and enjoy your yt

haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 286048)
I'm trying this recipe I pulled from BD

Nice! Thanks Nick. Look forward to your take on them.
I've had them a couple times smoked and thought they tasted good.

Im not positive, but I think Yanni may be doing something on this topic....

Dave Legacy 09-16-2017 05:19 PM

I have always heard you ought to bleed and put them on ice right away to preserve the meat then serve as sashimi.

NICKWORN 09-16-2017 05:33 PM

Correct

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Legacy (Post 286056)
I have always heard you ought to bleed and put them on ice right away to preserve the meat then serve as sashimi.

These were bleed and gutted on the water and thrown into the kill bag with a block of ice!!

I'll post tomorrow to show the final dish! Soaking in brine as we speak!!

da22y 09-16-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Gee, so funny, I almost can't keep my soup in my mouth on my dinner !! :D

ultimatejay 09-16-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Lmao

MITCHELL 09-16-2017 09:35 PM

Ceviche you taste the lime away or

Smoke um.....

maquinapescado 09-16-2017 09:54 PM

Credit

Quote:

Credit is due for your comment. Made me laugh.

Todd, to answer your question/make a recommendation...........

If you make ceviche with them right away, they are IMO the best ceviche fish. I was introduced to using them for that on a surf trip to Todos Santos (It was bombing 15') and we hand lined some bone heads on the way in and my friends wife (Ensenada locals) made ceviche within a few hours of catch and since then I was sold. If I know bones are guarnateed, I'll bring my cilantro, onions, tomato and lime pre-cut and juiced.

The next is that they smoke amazing if you get them in brine right away. You can full smoke for long lasting delicious fish or go really light, like medium rare smoke and make fish fried rice with them.

Last, you steak them, freeze them and they fit perfect in the bottom of a hoop net and when you put the on the bottom of the ocean near rocks, they turn into lobster.

DanaPT 09-17-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maquinapescado (Post 286063)

Last, you steak them, freeze them and they fit perfect in the bottom of a hoop net and when you put the on the bottom of the ocean near rocks, they turn into lobster.

funny right there. I like "last" the best... tasty trick.

NICKWORN 09-18-2017 06:45 AM

BLOODLINE

Quote:

Originally Posted by maquinapescado (Post 286063)

Todd, to answer your question/make a recommendation...........

If you make ceviche with them right away, they are IMO the best ceviche fish. I was introduced to using them for that on a surf trip to Todos Santos (It was bombing 15') and we hand lined some bone heads on the way in and my friends wife (Ensenada locals) made ceviche within a few hours of catch and since then I was sold. If I know bones are guarnateed, I'll bring my cilantro, onions, tomato and lime pre-cut and juiced.

The next is that they smoke amazing if you get them in brine right away. You can full smoke for long lasting delicious fish or go really light, like medium rare smoke and make fish fried rice with them.

I kept the bloodline for Lobster season, plus all macs for the past month or so. Id say i've got over a 100 good size GB's read.

Dirty Curti 09-18-2017 08:48 AM

I cooked up a couple yesterday. Not bad. I looked for a recipe from Yanni but all he had or all I could find was a Parmesan with tomato sauce recipe.

I found another recipe that worked pretty well.

Orange juice
Soy sauce
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

To my surprise it was a clean tasting fish. Went well with a salad.

I think I will start keeping them from now on.

Hunters Pa 09-18-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Curti (Post 286106)
I cooked up a couple yesterday. Not bad. I looked for a recipe from Yanni but all he had or all I could find was a Parmesan with tomato sauce recipe.

I found another recipe that worked pretty well.

Orange juice
Soy sauce
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

To my surprise it was a clean tasting fish. Went well with a salad.

I think I will start keeping them from now on.

In addition to bleeding and icing right away, spike their brain to stop any thrashing. They bruise really easily, and that bruise will hold the blood that makes them taste fishy & get mushy.

I have brought them home and cut them up for sashimi and loved it.