Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to load and unload an outback? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11674)

oneyedeer 10-13-2011 09:54 AM

How to load and unload an outback?

i had no problem unloading and loading the revo by myself you guys have any suggestion on the outback...that thing is as heavy as my outfitter

mtnbykr2 10-13-2011 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=oneyedeer;97799]i had no problem unloading and loading the revo by myself you guys have any suggestion on the outback...that thing is as heavy as my outfitter[/QUOTE
I have had my Outback since 08 I do load and unlod myself, but I usually have my wife with me and she helps, but if she isn't usually there is someone to assist, as I always assist others, but if you are solo, I just lift
it up sideways, use your knees not your back, then clean it overhead, takes practice, but I am faster at it than most, practice to see the easiest for you, find the center where it doesn't wonder on you, or they do have systems for car and truck tops, always seemed too much work.
Also look in innovations I have seen some loading ideas in there, remember
"innovations" is your friend in here, lot's of great info:reeling:

oneyedeer 10-13-2011 10:19 AM

was looking at hullavator from yakima but heard from someone that outback is too fat for it

romspacenut 10-13-2011 10:23 AM

Are car topping it? I have a Thule Slipstream and I have no issues loading my PA on top of my Acura RDX.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 97799)
i had no problem unloading and loading the revo by myself you guys have any suggestion on the outback...that thing is as heavy as my outfitter

thefisher 10-13-2011 10:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/yakabout.../8/kcZ7uKQNfVM

If you watch he uses a rope and fixes it to an anchor point of his vehicle. i use this to load and unload my outback onto my SUV as th suction cup thing i made my own using a handy cap suction cup handle i bought at walmart for 20.00.

steveoh 10-13-2011 10:58 AM

I have the Thule Hullavator and it fits the outback just fine. I think it depends on how far apart your load bars are placed on your car. I have a scion and placed the bars about 4' apart, so the hullavator holds the kayak just past the widest section of the outback. I can load and unload easily when I go solo.

lbsurf2ca 10-13-2011 11:02 AM

1. I always put it on one rail then move towards the tail
2. When i reach the tail flip it upside down
4. start lifting it up while having the nose still on the ground.
3. Once i reach the middle where the handle is i bring it over my head and onto my roof.

I have an SUV which is pretty tall.

I found side to shoulder method was starting to irritate my shoulder. Once I started using the other method i haven't had any bruises or pain.

scoop 10-14-2011 10:54 AM

I made rack extenders for my Thule Square bars. If you have these bars or similar, its a fairly cheap way of simplifying the load/unload task.

I posted in the innovations thread, page 6.

Di$co 10-15-2011 10:55 AM

Get a Thule Hullavator. It will solve all your lifting problems and should fit the Outback just fine.

ChefT 10-15-2011 04:13 PM

Im not a extreme athlete here ... Maybe in the beer/bong olympics
I suggest you just eat wheaties .... Drink your IPA's,,, and man up...
Stay low use your knees, show those bikini allcladed girls on the beach why they should go home with you .....I can pick mine up solo..... Unless there's a strong breeze. If you ever need a hand ... I got ya... I Just ate some spinich.
:sifone:

jorluivil 10-15-2011 04:16 PM

You can borrow my girl stinkymatt, she's got a strong back, never talks back and even cleans your fish for you.

tim.gruber10 10-16-2011 03:41 PM

Adding a couple of handles like the OK sidemount carry handles can make a big difference. Put them in perpendicular to your keel, one behind the seat and one in front of the center hatch, making sure the center of gravity is between the handles. Then you can easily stand beside the kayak and have 2 good handholds that are in the middle of the kayak. This write up does a much better job explaining it than I do.
http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.co...1&hilit=handle

tagyak 10-16-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 97974)
You can borrow my girl stinkymatt, she's got a strong back, never talks back and even cleans your fish for you.

hey i saw her first.
strong back, yes.
never talks back, not the stinkymatt that i know.
cleans your fish, ya right :biggrinjester:

kobra 10-16-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagyak (Post 98000)
hey i saw her first.
strong back, yes.
never talks back, not the stinkymatt that i know.
cleans your fish, ya right :biggrinjester:

Lol!!! You beat me to it.