Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   what is the best fishfinder/plotter? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27918)

kayakfisher 12-29-2015 12:29 PM

what is the best fishfinder/plotter?

Looking for a fish finder/plotter. Not for my kayak, but for a 17 foot power boat. Thank you.

jorluivil 12-29-2015 01:56 PM

The best one is the one you can't afford

GregAndrew 12-29-2015 02:57 PM

And comes with a $3000 transducer that will sink your kayak ;)

tacmik 12-29-2015 04:12 PM

How much can you afford to spend. That is the best fishfinder.

YakDout 12-29-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisher (Post 250119)
Looking for a fish finder/plotter. Not for my kayak, but for a 17 foot power boat. Thank you.

Ah the irony,

Kayakfisher looking for FF on powerboat.

jorluivil 12-29-2015 04:28 PM

All kidding aside

Whatever your budget is I would add at least 20%-30% to it, this will cover extended warranty plans and additional accessories that you may need.

What is your budget?

Dave Legacy 12-29-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 250138)
All kidding aside

Whatever your budget I would add at least 20%-30% to it, this will cover extended warranty plans and additional accessories that you may need.

This. Now that I have a FF I'm realizing I still need a bunch of other stuff to get this thing going.

Hunters Pa 12-29-2015 05:23 PM

Why not use the same one you have on your kayak, assuming it is decent. Having those waypoints on the same unit and only having one system to learn to interpret would have its advantages

svendawg 12-29-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunters Pa (Post 250141)
Why not use the same one you have on your kayak, assuming it is decent. Having those waypoints on the same unit and only having one system to learn to interpret would have its advantages

That's what I do, All you need is a another transducer, GPS puck (if your GPS receiver is not built in to the FF) and power cable.

kayakfisher 12-30-2015 07:34 AM

For the past 50 years and currently my FF is my mask, I fish by freediving spearfishing, but I am limited to about 60-70 feet, over structure, in the kelp and offshore kelp paddies. This year I bought a power boat that allows me to fish deeper water with a fishing pole. I am trying to avoid putting a lot of junk on the boat, but on poor visibility days I would like to use the fishing pole instead of going home.There was a post a while back praising a FF bought at West Marine, but that modes is no longer available. Any recommendations appreciated.

Hunters Pa 12-30-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisher (Post 250164)
For the past 50 years and currently my FF is my mask, I fish by freediving spearfishing, but I am limited to about 60-70 feet, over structure, in the kelp and offshore kelp paddies. This year I bought a power boat that allows me to fish deeper water with a fishing pole. I am trying to avoid putting a lot of junk on the boat, but on poor visibility days I would like to use the fishing pole instead of going home.There was a post a while back praising a FF bought at West Marine, but that modes is no longer available. Any recommendations appreciated.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one. Go to west marine and play with the various models and see what is the most intuitive for you to operate. Then consider the different levels and the bells and whistles they come with. If you can, then wait for a sale or pull up your smartphone and search online and see if they will price match.

Then kick yourself 2 weeks later when a better model comes out

kayakfisher 12-30-2015 03:29 PM

thank you. I missed the last sale at West Marine...

Harry Hill 12-30-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisher (Post 250188)
thank you. I missed the last sale at West Marine...

there's always another sale coming down the road.

Fishin' Magician 12-31-2015 05:49 AM

West Marine has a sale today on Lowrance Elite 4 HDI for $199.00. It's a small unit and I use it on my kayak, but it has built in GPS and seems to work. Can't beat the price. But the sale ends today.